( search forums )
Format C:\
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
CardBoardWarrior
October 29, 2003, 7:02 pm
I want to do a clean install of Win XP Pro. How can I format/delete all the files of my HD?

palloco
October 29, 2003, 7:43 pm
Make a rescue disk. Reboot with it and type fdisk. Choose the first option (I think) to make a logical partition or something similar and follow instructions. Once you have done it reboot with the CDROM of WinXP(if it is not bootable boot again with the disk). I prefer using rescue disks of Partition Magic for these purposes. Much more reliable.

CardBoardWarrior
October 29, 2003, 8:04 pm
ok rescue disk, how i do that?

Frosty
October 29, 2003, 8:05 pm
I usually do a clean format, then boot from my windows xp cd. (May require going into setup)

CardBoardWarrior
October 29, 2003, 8:19 pm
Yes but how do i do a clean format???? jeez thats all im askin.

LiL_FuKa
October 29, 2003, 8:46 pm
It's easy, it's kind of like cleaning your asshole. Just think about that for a while and the answer will come to you.

BMF
October 29, 2003, 10:22 pm
i know what it means Lil Fuka. That you clean your ass twice a year. I dont even want to know how much semen you have to dig out.

CBW: Restart you comp with your oroginal XP CDs. You will get a menu with many options, and go from there. Should not be very hard.

CardBoardWarrior
October 29, 2003, 10:40 pm
hmmm i'll try thanks...

Frosty
October 29, 2003, 10:51 pm
go to dos prompt and type format c:

BMF
October 29, 2003, 10:58 pm
did you just arrive from middle ages?

CardBoardWarrior
October 29, 2003, 10:59 pm
lol u ass that won't work, you cant format the drive ur using, btw ive tried it b 4

CardBoardWarrior
October 29, 2003, 11:00 pm
ok lol it sort of works, i just need to reboot in dos mode so im not using the hard drive, i think. how do i reboot in dos mode?

morpheus
October 29, 2003, 11:26 pm
insert your recovery/start up disk into drive a. restart the computer. a menu will come up with 3 options. use the option that says start pc with (cd rom) drivers.

after the cd drivers load, you'll get a c prompt. type format c:sit back and relax a few minutes while the computer does it's thing. when it's done you'll get another c prompt. insert your cd into the cd rom (d drive) and type at the c prompt, d:\setup.exe . setup will start to run.

you can take it from there.

CardBoardWarrior
October 30, 2003, 8:06 pm
Thanks for your help guys, I got it to work. :)
Only now I have to reinstall all the programs and such-apparently I'm missing some product keys for MS Word. And I can't get IE to work although I am connected to my netowrk. Can you hep again? =/ If you have a MS Word installation key, (it's 25 characters long, and it said it was supposed to be on the certificate of authenticity) I need it bad. And do you have any idea on how to get IE to work?

Remember I'm running a clean install Windows XP Pro and a speedstream router & wireless usb adapter.

morpheus
October 30, 2003, 11:12 pm
i hope you're not trying to run the 2600 build of xp. that version is the one that gives the most fits with ie.

eyic
October 30, 2003, 11:15 pm
i dont know how to format my computer, so my dad does it for me, he has some sort fo special disk and then he restart the computer and puts a cd in and then he starts up the cd before windows starts up then it syays [:-censored] about formatting, then it starts installign windows xp then when it finishes, i got everything clean! yayz!

CardBoardWarrior
October 30, 2003, 11:15 pm
[:-censored]. of course MINE is 2600...

morpheus
October 31, 2003, 1:25 am
*sigh* ok, here's one way of going about it, and usually the best.

1st, remove all instances of net protocols. 2nd, find yourself an ie 6.0 cd, usually on just about any demo cd out there. install ie from the cd, it should add back the net protocols you've already removed. 3rd, click the "set up internet account" icon on the desktop and follow the steps to do it manually. 4th, reboot. 5th, open up ie. if you can't access the net, go to the "tools" tab, then "connections" and try to configure ie to work with your setup. reboot and try it again.

CardBoardWarrior
October 31, 2003, 1:31 am
damn i hope this will work. first of all i need an IE cd :(
and net protocols-u mean web browers and stuf?