( search forums )
Names
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
SneakySniper
November 2, 2003, 12:14 am
make it so you can be the only one with a name. os other ppl can't have your name along with you :0

?
November 2, 2003, 12:34 am
michal said he might do something liek that for registered people a while back i think

eyic
November 2, 2003, 12:39 am
this wont work, end of story....

HC_ScubaSteve
November 2, 2003, 3:12 am
????? how wont it work? anyway ya i saw a post where michal said he was gonna put that in so im guessin it will be in 1.2

R
November 2, 2003, 3:17 am
no...it wont, and btw what if someone decided to register your name before you would be able to? then it would permanently steal your name and you'd definetely have to change your name. DOESNT ANYBODY REALIZE THIS?! its a bad idea and it wont work, keep it how it is

HC_ScubaSteve
November 2, 2003, 3:32 am
thankyou R, i see this problem now...ussually ppl just say "this sux" "wont work" "garbage" "so many things would go wrong" etc etc...please ppl write down the reasons y u dont like stuff in the future.

eyic
November 2, 2003, 4:59 am
Yeh and think of another problem, what if you join a clan, how are you supposed to put the tag? do you have to re-re-register?

think people, think! use ur brains dammit!

SneakySniper
November 2, 2003, 5:57 am
well may mike could send an email to all the ppl who are registered and who are signed up in the forum for emails and ask them i they want their name poster names to be the same as their game name thenthey can reply with yes or no. If yes well then thats could cuz you get to keep your name and if its a "no" well then its first come first serve jsut like in all the other games. buts its not good when u see like 3 ppl in your game withthe name "mike" or something. And then mike could actaully make a friends list which would be nice too :)

bLaStEr
November 2, 2003, 7:56 am
SneakySniper your %#!%#"%&... you think it would work & no It wont!!!
So stop trying omfg!

R
November 2, 2003, 8:19 am
quote:well may mike could send an email to all the ppl who are registered and who are signed up in the forum for emails and ask them i they want their name poster names to be the same as their game name thenthey can reply with yes or no. If yes well then thats could cuz you get to keep your name and if its a "no" well then its first come first serve jsut like in all the other games. buts its not good when u see like 3 ppl in your game withthe name "mike" or something. And then mike could actaully make a friends list which would be nice too :)

OMG, THIS WONT WORK!! GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS AND STOP TRYING TO PUT IT IN. IT WONT WORK AT ALL SO DONT TRY TO ADD STUFF ABOUT E-MAILS AND CRAP. i'd alsot just like to point out how would michal be able to send out 2000 e-mails at least to all the registered people, KNOW their names (they could just lie about it and take somebody elses name so that suggestion wont work either) in-game, TRUST them to tell him the truth. and THEN he has to put all those names in something so that other people cant choose it!!! even if it was implement like you oh so "intelligently" said sneakysniper, it'd take at least 2-3 months just to get all the freaking emails!!!!!!!!!!

next time - think before posting

try to at least use common freaking sense

palloco
November 2, 2003, 9:11 am
Agree with R
Registering names sux, it will be a waste of Michal's time

ClanKwH
November 2, 2003, 11:03 am
WTF! dont add that it would suck like hell!

b00stA
November 2, 2003, 2:54 pm
How about.. "[CLAN]Lamer" is playing on server 127.0.0.1
Now a 2nd "[CLAN]Lamer" wants to join 127.0.0.1 .. he should automatically be named "[CLAN]Lamer (2)" or something.
What do you think? ;)

palloco
November 2, 2003, 4:42 pm
There cannot be 2 guys in the same 127.0.0.1 and you know it.

b00stA
November 2, 2003, 4:58 pm
Of course it's possible. Just open a game (one player and server at the same time) and then open Soldat a second time. Join 127.0.0.1. Done.

BMF
November 3, 2003, 4:05 am
I see you people yelling at a n00b and i dont understand why.

OMG IT WONT WORK IT WONT WORK. Why dont you shut the [:-censored] up, and explain to me why wont it work. I think its a pretty good idea.

R
November 3, 2003, 4:18 am
quote:what if someone decided to register your name before you would be able to? then it would permanently steal your name and you'd definetely have to change your name.

quote:i'd alsot just like to point out how would michal be able to send out 2000 e-mails at least to all the registered people, KNOW their names (they could just lie about it and take somebody elses name so that suggestion wont work either) in-game, TRUST them to tell him the truth. and THEN he has to put all those names in something so that other people cant choose it
quote: it'd take at least 2-3 months just to get all the freaking emails

quote:Yeh and think of another problem, what if you join a clan, how are you supposed to put the tag? do you have to re-re-register?

there are your reasons bmf.

that fuking sniper
November 3, 2003, 6:51 am
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
Now a 2nd "[CLAN]Lamer" wants to join 127.0.0.1 .. he should automatically be named "[CLAN]Lamer (2)" or something.
What do you think? ;)

Things like that could be abused; If an impostor would be in a game using my name, for example, and I went to play in that server, why should I have to bare 'that [:-censored]ing sniper (2)' on me?

Names are a way of recognizing people and they can be abused, but you cant restrict who can use what, some names are cocepts and are widely used, such as Shadow, Dark, and Yourself :S

Whatever they are, you cant have a rule saying: "Oh I'm sorry, some other guy already reserved that name, find another one." People should just know who's who without such things. Impostors are always looking for a way to piss you off and get to you, they want you to pay them attention and admit that you're getting pissed off by them, this will just benefit them. And of course there are the innocent coincidents, which can also ruin someone's Soldat experience if a name reserving/destinguishing system was applied.

frogboy
November 3, 2003, 7:48 am
If someone wants to pretend to be me, let them do it.

And what about people who just add '.' to the front & end of their names? Its not exactly foolproof, is it.

b00stA
November 3, 2003, 1:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniper
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
What do you think? ;)

Things like that could be abused; If an impostor would be in a game using my name, for example, and I went to play in that server, why should I have to bare 'that [:-censored]ing sniper (2)' on me?

Names are a way of recognizing people and they can be abused, but you cant restrict who can use what, some names are cocepts and are widely used, such as Shadow, Dark, and Yourself :S

But the "Name (Increasing Number)" idea isn't really that bad imho. Right now you could have 5 people on the same server with exact same names. With the counter you could at least tell who's the real one (probably the one who's NOT swearing or something).

What's better? You join a server and see your "fan" imitating you but then YOU get kicked because the admin isn't able to tell the difference and just kicks the "right" one or even both.

Ffs, I don't even have those problems since I don't play as b00stA.

bLaStEr
November 3, 2003, 1:39 pm
"Ffs, I don't even have those problems since I don't play as b00stA."

YAY!!! Then I can use your name & swear to everybody mwuha :)

sqweek
November 3, 2003, 2:16 pm
Yeah, the numbering idea is nice so you can differentiate between people with the same name.
Brackets might not be so good though, since it could make the death console confusing... maybe just a number at the end of their name?

BMF
November 3, 2003, 6:43 pm
R you dont have to do it through e-mails. When you create profile, just register a name for it. Like in RPGs.

I dont know what the hell you people are talking about "somebody can take your name". Newsflash for ya, right now ANYBODY can take your name. Registered names will insure that nothing like that happens.

Wills59
November 4, 2003, 8:50 am
Number idea, definatly. make rule, no \ or / maybe? Also e-mails would take waaaay to much time, bad idea.

BTW, take a chiil pill to those that a going berko.