( search forums )
SQL server is teh SLOW!!!
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
NightCabbage
November 5, 2003, 4:45 am
Yo Stxy ^^

You know how the forum goes exceptionally slow sometimes? I'm pretty sure that's coz of the SQL server, not the actual forum server.

The pages load fine, but just the database (posts, etc.) don't.

I know it's a damn big database, but... Any reason why it sometimes has slowdowns?

morpheus
November 5, 2003, 5:53 am
probably lack of memory

DNA.styx
November 5, 2003, 1:41 pm
Yes, it was crawling all of today 'cos the disk that the forum logs to was full. I've fixed it now.

The database is currently only 99mb (I removed a lot of really old posts a while back otherwise it would be twice the size)

SQL does tend to suck as much memory as you throw at it, but memory usage on the server's normally a max of 400Mb which is fine.

I have noticed that there is something running on the main DNAGames site that seems to slow the whole server down as anytime I stop the DNAGames site this forum speeds up a bit. I've had a couple of looks at what could be causing it without too much success.

You can see from the forum stats that posts and members are up 500% based on the start of the year.

I'm in the middle of assessing if a change of forum would help speed things up, I just have to be able to do that without loosing any data (member details, posts, etc) but the down side would be a loss of some forum features (looking something like this but using Soldat colours)

CardBoardWarrior
November 5, 2003, 7:59 pm
yeah last nite it was so damn slow...i was cussing at my router and stuf but lol now i feel stupid.

palloco
November 5, 2003, 10:41 pm
Thx and gj DNA, now everything works much better, including the game