Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
b00stA
November 5, 2003, 6:34 pm
Windows 2000 (SP3)
Intel PIII 450mhz
Biostar M6VBE
384MB Ram
GeForce 2 Ti

This system has been stable for a VERY long time now (~4 years, dunno exactly) and I don't want to hear any comments like "omg win2k sux!!1111 xp rools!"
I'm almost sure it's not Windows 2k's fault because I just re-installed it this weekend and it happened again (4 years before it didn't).

The computer freezes.. NOTHING responds (mouse doesn't move, ctrl+alt+del etc., no response), really NOTHING and if I'm listening to MP3s or hearing any other sounds, then it repeats the last bit of the music very fast (dunno the word for it, like a broken record, but more frequent).
When does this happen? Randomly. I haven't noticed ANY rules for this.. sometimes it freezes after 30 minutes (without having run the system that day.. so it should be cold). Once I had an uptime of 2 days without freezing. The average lies between 5-10h I think.
That randomness should tell me that it isn't the hardware that overheats, but it isn't the OS, that's for sure.

ANY help for me? I know, my computer isn't the newest, but right now I don't have the money for buying a complete new computer..
How could I check which component freezes my comp?

Help is very appreciated >:|

popseed
November 5, 2003, 6:36 pm
omg win2k sux!!1111 xp rools!

BMF
November 5, 2003, 6:44 pm
b00sta one thing works for me 100% - reformat and windows reinstall

and i would install XP if i were you

EDIT what happened to you avatar bro??

b00stA
November 5, 2003, 6:50 pm
There are rumours that I changed it.
Lyonel Feininger: http://www.muzeumsztuki.lodz.pl/images/feininger.JPG

sqweek
November 5, 2003, 10:59 pm
I don't think I can really help, I've heard that a lot of random problems can be caused by dodgy power supplies... Do you have another computer (or bits) about that you can fiddle about with to test different components?

Would you recommend Win2k? I'm currently running 98SE, and have been thinking about upgrading to 2k. I'm not really keen on the registration dealio with xp.

Chakra
November 5, 2003, 11:19 pm
stretching out on a limb here, but did you have any downloaded audio codecs running around before the format? Try experimenting with some new ones if you can...usually no harm in it. Might wanna update your sound card drivers too luv.

BMF
November 6, 2003, 12:41 am
your computer may give you trouble because of your new avatar

mr_bob
November 6, 2003, 1:38 am
its pretty sad he asked a simple question

im not sure how 2k works but hit ctrl+alt+del and close everything not needed for the system to operate or just close one at a time knowing which ones uve closed to see which one will allow your computer

might be a lil hard to follow im sorry if it is

morpheus
November 6, 2003, 1:42 am
sounds like a memory prob. at 384 megs, you've either got 1 128 stick and 1 256, or 3 128s. try popping one out then give it a try. if it still freezes, put that one back in and pop out another.

mak89gt
November 6, 2003, 1:43 am
used to happen to me a lot when i had win2k. i suggest you buy windows xp.

juice _ box
November 6, 2003, 5:21 am
quote:buy windows xp.
Windows xp is free. :)

Possibly a virus? I had one some time ago that made my coputer lock up.

ThaD
November 6, 2003, 7:35 am
quote:Originally posted by mak89gt
used to happen to me a lot when i had win2k. i suggest you buy windows xp.

lol, now thats funny

and yea xp is a good choice

b00stA
November 6, 2003, 3:04 pm
You will never see me using XP on my computer.

Yesterday I installed the newest drivers for my GeForce 2 Ti (That ForceWare stuff) and my framerate in Soldat decreased from ~160fps down to ~70fps.. just great.
and I installed all the security fixes from windowsupdate.microsoft.com
I checked the cooler from my GeForce 2 Ti and it's a bit loud so I cleaned it and put a second little fan next to it.
Thad, I didn't have that problem for 4 years and I won't change the OS.

sqweek: It's definately better than Windows 98. What I like about 2k, you don't have anything that you dont need. Some say 2k isn't very good for playing games.. almost every game runs for me, if not, apcompat.exe helps (simulating a 95/98 environment, it's on the 2k CD). If you're not very experienced, use XP BUT AVOID ME.

Chakra: The audio codecs? The comp freezes when there's nothing running.. I always have the "No sound" scheme and my computer is idling.. freeze.

mr bob: Running Kerio Personal Firewall, AltDesk, DUmeter and mIRC. The rest is Windows service stuff.

morpheus: 2x 64MB (one came with the computer, the second from my brother) and 1x 256MB infineon.

juice box: I didn't open any strange mails, URLs etc., firewall running and blaster fix etc. is installed. Virus scan doesn't report anything (just some minor notices..)

Thanks for the help, I'll see if the new graphics card drivers and the windows updates help.

BMF
November 6, 2003, 4:47 pm
dude you have to open your mind. XP is way better.

palloco
November 6, 2003, 7:10 pm
XP is worst.
As always the first suggestion is scanning your system with other antivirus. Online scan from Panda for example. but I doubt it is a virus.
It seems more likely a problem of your hardware. Since you said nothing like this happened it is not a problem of compatibilty.
PIII 450. This was the first P3 , isn't it? There were several reports of the high temperature it reached and also it may have problems with the weigh. Check that the connection to the mainboard is perfect. Check programs like CPUcool or something like that which say the temperature of your processor. Look at similar programs and maybe one can tell you the temperature of more components.
Run the computer without the case so you can see if there is any abnormal thing(manual checking of temperatures :)) You could also try to "underclock" components.

b00stA
November 6, 2003, 7:59 pm
palloco, that's the help I need :)

PIII 450mhz was the first step I think, yepp.
Someone already told me to check if any components (RAM, CPU, etc.) are plugged in correctly and not loose. Did that, seems fine to me.
About the high temperature, I haven't heard anything about that, in fact I heard nothing about my CPU generation ;)
My mainboard (M6VBE by Biostar) doesn't support that monitoring stuff for the temperature, fan speed etc.
I've been running my computer without the case for a long time now and I've started to wonder if it makes any difference. It could as well be my imagination ;)

Current uptime is 6hrs 22mins 29secs. My two HD's are warm but far away from hot. Warm air coming from the side of the CPU fan. Feels quite warm.. errr.. I might replace that cooler. Let's see.

The second fan for my graphics card works fine.. maybe I fixed it with the security fixes or the graphics card drivers.
We'll see :)

Thanks

Agent 007
November 6, 2003, 8:29 pm
I hate XP,but I love millenium.

NightCabbage
November 8, 2003, 7:32 am
Awwwww I missed out on all the fun :'(