( search forums )
New Enviroment: Ladders
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
evilkenivo
November 12, 2003, 4:19 am
Ladders would be kind of cool for levels where jetpacks are disabled ( or disabled to the point of being useless for scaling heights ( but enough for avoiding shots.) I think this idea would be kinda cool for making more dynamic and strategic levels (that doesn't rely on jetpack).

I'm picturing a warehouse with multiple levels and on like a team match one would have to cover one another while the other is climbing b/c of the vulnerablilty of being a out in the open.

Squal
November 12, 2003, 10:28 am
Hmm... not bad bad idea... ladders could add a new twist ^_^

cooz
November 12, 2003, 4:59 pm
u always can make stairs... or small poligons, on which player could jump, and then jump to upper one - i think that soldat don't need ladders.

bLaStEr
November 12, 2003, 5:02 pm
Yup, no ladders needed in soldat ;P

ZeRo222
November 12, 2003, 5:13 pm
arg boring ppl!
We need ladders!
All games have ladders!
Raven Shield have ladders!
CS have ladders!
Mario have ladders!
the real world have ladders!
I want ladders!
BUT WAIT!(nothing up there is what we need)
Look how much bugs there would be!
when creating ur own maps u have to add some kinda "ladder-zone" on ur ladder to make it work and stuff...

CardBoardWarrior
November 12, 2003, 8:02 pm
Ladders would be good, more realistic(better) then just polygons to jump up on...stairs would work sometimes...but now and then you just need a ladder somwhere!

evilkenivo
November 12, 2003, 8:16 pm
can't walk through stairs. ladders are kind of a background thing that you can walk through.
stairs are also very obtrusive. ladders would be nice

aLpHaNuMe12iK
November 13, 2003, 4:58 am
or um... we could just not have levels with no jetpax.

HOWEVER

i kinda do like this idea:
[IMAGE]

PWNZ0r j00Z~!

hehehehe, i luv mspaint. NOT! (photoshop not installed on diz computah. poo.)

frogboy
November 13, 2003, 5:09 am
I would like ladders as well, and teleports could be interesting on some levels.

peemonkey
November 13, 2003, 5:28 am
ladders could be solved by having 1-WAY POLYGONS!!!
up-ladder=up 1-way poly...
down-ladder=down 1-way poly!!
i dont see how this could be not liked! its genious!!!

n00bface
November 13, 2003, 5:36 am
Genius*

CardBoardWarrior
November 13, 2003, 9:48 pm
Yeah peemonkey, but then you would not be able to see yorself as yuo go up the ladder. Then people wud jump into the ladder and camp. AND you would need two ladders-one for up and one for down.

BTW alphanumerik(or whatever) thanks for puting my little ninja-cactus from my sig thing in your pic. HEHE :D

cooz
November 13, 2003, 11:10 pm
lol, do u ppl just can't think a moment about your sugestions? ok u want ladders, but ladders are so simpleeee, maybe planes? yeah planes would be cool - u could fly and shot soldiers from them. or i know: yes, yes... morotbikes just like in gta vc wouldn't it be cool? or lava,water,and hundrets of other thinks which would just make laggs bigger... - please, just think a moment before u say that u want or don't want to have new thining soldat...

y0da
November 13, 2003, 11:44 pm
maybe some elevators, huh? [:D]

CardBoardWarrior
November 14, 2003, 12:01 am
lol, but seriously that wold be good for a map like inf_hosptial, inf_office....HAHAHAHHA

n00bface
November 14, 2003, 3:14 am
Or maybe like those move-ee, walky thingies they have at airports.. you could like ride them from one flag to another, so you could win the game while you were afk-ing!

...or not.

wormdundee
November 14, 2003, 4:04 am
explain to me how ladders would lag the game? they would just be...sitting there...not moving...doing nothing

people would just have to be able to walk up them

cooz
November 14, 2003, 11:40 am
i was talking generally about stupid sugestions, next time read more careful...

evilkenivo
November 14, 2003, 5:34 pm
I'm not going to rag on your right to say that planes and tanks and vehicles are not approppriate for this game. But if you begin to generalize every suggestion into that type of thing, then I'm going to pipe up. Listen, the suggestion is ladders; I think that idea is pretty tame. It give the level designer a lot more freedom when it comes to making levels that don't rely one the jet pack for transportation. We would see levels like office_inf where the ENTIRE strategy of movement changes to be like the no fly level except things are more dynamic with multiple pathways and such.

cooz
November 14, 2003, 6:18 pm
ok sorry about talking about planes - it was stupid, i understand it now (get carried away:> )

so back to ladders...
i still think that is bad idea, becouse soldat engine isn't designed for small poligons and small areas, eg on inf_Warehouse it's hard to move in base, and i think that same hard it would be on yours inf_Office

i think good map need big areas when u could fly and jump and shouldn't have 90 degrees turns (and those would probably appear with ladder maps)