( search forums )
Auto-download of maps through server
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
sickre
November 19, 2003, 8:58 am
It would be great if we could auto-download maps from servers playing them. In the entire time I have been playing soldat (9 months or so) I have only played on custom maps on an online server once. Auto-download would give a real boost to the map creaters and players. Pressure would be taken off Michal to develop new maps, and SOldat would become more popular, with the cool and unique maps on every server. In my opinion auto map downloading from servers would give more of a boost to soldat than any other improvement mentioned.

frogboy
November 19, 2003, 9:02 am
Already suggested. Good idea anyway.

sickre
November 19, 2003, 9:36 am
Suggested, but it didnt have its own recent thread in the Suggestions forum!!! (I know, I read the idea in the maps section)

Aquarius
November 19, 2003, 9:49 am
OK, but what if someone has different map with the same name? Will it overwrite your map?

And what about custom sceneries/textures? Will they be downloaded too? If you will try to download a map with sceneries, and you will have different scenery with the same name, this scenery won't be downloaded and the map won't work.

Maybe the map, sceneries and textures should be integrated into one file?

frogboy
November 19, 2003, 10:44 am
In that case, then it could check the md5 checksum of each, and download a map(1) if it's different.

Chakra
November 19, 2003, 1:45 pm
1.2 impliments auto-downloading of maps from servers.

...I think

R
November 19, 2003, 1:55 pm
no...i dont think it does...they said they tried...but no i dont think there will be...

Tha Doggfather
November 19, 2003, 2:23 pm
im pretty sure it isnt implemented in 1.2

b00stA
November 19, 2003, 7:26 pm
Don't you think the man behind that projects wants it to be secret? Afaik it's not even finished.

It's not gonna be a auto downloader.

cooz
November 19, 2003, 8:10 pm
i think that dark noddy shouldn't post those informations here (before releasing of v1.2), maybe some moderator should delete his post as fast as possible...

Dark_Noddy
November 26, 2003, 2:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
1.2 impliments auto-downloading of maps from servers.

...I think

Anyway I deleted my posts

cooz
November 26, 2003, 3:55 pm
gj, man ;>

NightCabbage
November 28, 2003, 3:40 am
lol, I think I missed something :P

Either way, an auto-downloader is a nice idea, but it's just that as of now.

Dathker
November 28, 2003, 3:30 pm
i have no idea but its really pissing me off when i don't have the map that is on the server i want to play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

systemfeind
November 29, 2003, 3:30 pm
hmm on the one side servers where peeps loading maps from will maybe get a disadvantage in latency but in cs it had worked fine. one the other side it true that custom maps and their community will get a boost with this function.

NuZZ
November 29, 2003, 10:44 pm
Something "Similair" is coming from a certain, Cabbage. It will not be directed from a server but... I guess its still underway, better wait for 1.2...... :D

bonkas
December 2, 2003, 11:15 pm
I think It'sa good idea but others with slower connection may be waiting for a long time to download a map if it has it's own textures and stuff so it will be a good idea if you had an option to turn this feature on and off