( search forums )
Evolution. Really.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
sqweek
November 19, 2003, 5:01 pm
OK, people dissing on evolution and arguing over its truth is one of my pet peeves, so I feel the need to have my say.

This is because evolution, is fact. There is NOTHING to argue about. It is completely obvious, and I'll explain why.
Imagine a species. Doesn't matter what they are, but each creature will have different physical characteristics, and through many generations of breeding some characteristics will be more attentuated in some creatures then others. So, let's say this species has fur coats. Some of the creatures will have thicker coats then others. Now, the... uhh, sun cools down, and brings about a particularly harsh winter (it doesn't really matter why ;) ). It just so happens that the winter is so cold that only the creatures with the thickest coats can survive. BANG! The species has evolved. All of a sudden, ALL the members of the species have thick coats, because the ones which don't are DEAD.

There ya go. Evolution by natural selection in a nutshell. To use an example of this actually occuring, there was a particular species of moth in england. some of which where light and some of which were dark. I forget the details exactly, but during the industrial revolution, the amount of pollution in the air increased dramatically. This had the effect of darkening the trees, from all the dust and such stuck to it. What effect did this have on the moths? Well, now the light moths were really easy to spot on the dark background, and they all got eaten. End result: The moths evolved to become dark :)
(And yes, that's a true story, or I've been incredibly mislead by multiple people)

So, like I was saying, evolution happens, it is fact. Whether we evolved from apes is another matter (though this is apparently generally accepted in the scientific community).

Now, you are saying "Hold on, doesn't evolution take a long time?"
Well, yes. And no.
What I have described above is evolution within a species, and clearly it doesn't require a great deal of time (see moth example).
However (and I am rapidly getting out of my league), if we talk about evolving from species to species, that IS going to take a long time.
I have been told that such evolution can occur in a similar fashion, but may require geographic relocation (That is, a species is somehow separated into two groups, they end up in different parts of the world, one group adapts to it's new climate and evolves into a new species). This requires many generations, however.
Another method of evolving into a new species I have heard of is mutation. You've likely heard of this, radiation from someplace causing a mutation of the genes of a creature, changing it to a different species. On average, this is going to take a long time, since such mutations aren't frequent, and many of them are fatal. So it tends to take a lot of time before a mutation actually creates another species (and I'm not sure how this happens, like I said, I'm getting out of my league)

Finally, on the god side of things (sorry, couldn't resist ;) )...
If god created the universe, what created god?

gi.joe
December 5, 2003, 5:51 am
ok i do believe that god created the universe and everything pertaning to it...
this all relates to time...
God created humans and gave them their thought processes... humans inturn developed the notion of Time itself... thousands of years ago, humans noticed that the sun moved along the sky on a regular basis and therefore they could measure ho long it took for them to complete tasks by measuing the suns position before and after they did their task...
what if the notion of time itself is just a figment of the human psyche..
we are constantly placing constraints and barriers in order to add a sense of rationality to our lives...maybe the concept of time is not one that affects God at all, our simple and constrained minds do not have the capacity to even begin to comprehend his existence let alone his works.
of course evolution takes place, it is a system employed by God over TIME..
u know how in the bible it says that god created the world in 7days and created the various beings of the earth and the sky on seperate days...
how do we know that those 7days are over yet? God is still at work...

frogboy
December 5, 2003, 6:53 am
I say we created many gods, and then debated over which was better. Same with game consoles.

gi.joe
December 6, 2003, 1:26 am
have u guys watched a movie called donnie darko?
its quite relative to this topic ;)

b00stA
December 6, 2003, 1:34 am
Arr, I love that scene when Donnie Darko talks to Jim Cunningham :)

Jim Cunningham: Son... DO YOU SEE THIS? This is an Anger Prisoner. A textbook example. DO YOU SEE THE FEAR, PEOPLE? This boy is scared to death of the truth. Son, it breaks my heart to say this, but I believe you are a very troubled and confused young man. I believe you are searching for the answers in all the wrong places...
Donnie: You're right, actually. I am pretty- I'm, I'm pretty troubled and I'm, I'm pretty confused. But I. . .and I'm afraid. Really, really afraid. Really afraid. But I... I . . . I think you're the [:-censored]ing Antichrist.

gi.joe, have you seen the Donnie Darko homepage? Reveals some info on the tangent universes etc.

Kitty Farmer: I'll tell you what he said. He asked me to forcibly insert the Life Line exercise card into my anus!

frogboy
December 6, 2003, 6:30 am
The catholics killed the Egyptian literates, and destroyed all their writing, believing it was 'evil'. Now, its happening again, with Muslim EXTREMISTS (not normal Muslims, but the ones that believe their god wants them to destroy everyone) suiciding on US allies.

sqweek
December 6, 2003, 3:39 pm
gi.joe wrote:
ok i do believe that god created the universe and everything pertaning to it...

So what created god?
dammit, no one is answering my questiong :P

frogboy
December 7, 2003, 12:09 am
The Big Bang theory was an explosion, not a collision.

morpheus
December 7, 2003, 12:19 am
one thing i'd like to hear from the evolutionists is the explantion of how life came about in the 1st place. ie, how did life come from something that wasn't living to begin with? answers that are fact, other than theory.

gi.joe
December 7, 2003, 3:12 am
do any of the pple in this topic have any understanding at all about the Big bang theory or the origins of life on this planet?
no?

i dont think many of us have the qualifications/knowledge to back up our posts.

Boosta, whats the donnie darko homepage addy?
btw that movie rocked eh?

gi.joe
December 7, 2003, 9:34 pm
cheers~!

thanx man

Weed
December 8, 2003, 11:41 am
well gi.joe ... it isnt bout huge knowledge, only bout having knowledge, ppl like morpheus are the prove that ppl can have great knowledge, and im sure he checks twice before posting what he posts ;)

big bang theory (yes, its only a fuken theory, even tho it sounds obvious) a giant "ball" made of many things, got to the state that it exploded, so it might have been a really giant planet, or just a fuken rock, it exploded, and its part flew all over this piece of the infinit universe.... it created stars, planets, asteroids, and bla bla... thats the theory pretty much, so if it was a planet, maybe it was also part of a galaxy, meaning that maybe all the galaxy exploded...
where am i gettin to?
to a simple theory i thought about when i was gettin really bored and i watched some national gheographic, there i saw a documentary film, talking about the expansion of the mass in the universe, that means that all these galaxies, stars, planets, and asteroids, really grow in size, we cant see it cuz we grow too, its like the whole universe gets bigger and bigger, and we dont know it cuz we are part of it...
so the think i thought off was... maybe so many millions of years ago... the galaxy or the planet or the body that made the "big bang" was just the end of the growing all this planet/rock/galaxy could take, so it exploded, creating some kind of circular ending to its end, maybe we will end the same way we started, if we started with the fall of a planet, which one of it pieces made this planet, maybe we will die by exploding and making new galaxies... (only a theory i thought off, dont take it seriously plz) thats what i thought, cuz the nature of how things work in planet earth arent the same as the whole universal nature of things to work...

btw, Morpheus, ill be glad if u send me those documents :D they are surely something i have to see :D
send them to my mail(j_h_hell@hotmail.com) if u can, or tell me how ;)

morpheus
December 8, 2003, 11:55 am
can do. i've got a heavy workload coming up, so give me a couple of days to dig them up, since a lot of it is in storage. if i forget, remind me.

and how much info do you want? i've got copies of egyptian, koine greek, and chaldean in the original writings, along with explanations for each.

one is pretty brief, while the other 2 are rather extensive in the background, but can't remember off the top of my head which is which. it's been a while since i've even looked at them. seems like the chaldean was the shortest, but can't remember.

EDIT:

one thing i'd like to hear from the evolutionists is the explantion of how life came about in the 1st place. ie, how did life come from something that wasn't living to begin with? answers that are fact, other than theory, please.

sqweek
December 8, 2003, 12:06 pm
wormdundee wrote:
quote:and if you can say, "well they were always there" then why cant we say that God was always there?

OK, close enough, I'll get to my point :p

Essentially (as far as I can tell) if you argue a god, you have to say god always existed, or have a chain of gods creating each other.
ie, something like god2 always existed, he created god1, she created the universe ;)

But why bother? Why create this additional link in your chain of creation, when it's just as easy to say that the universe always existed? Why the need for a creator?

morpheus
December 8, 2003, 5:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by sqweek
Why the need for a creator?

how many times have you seen a car just pop up outtta no where?

get the picture?