( search forums )
I made a misty deathmatch level named WhoGoesThere
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Apro
November 20, 2002, 10:39 am

Well this deathmatch map got it's name (WhoGoesThere) when I first played it. Thanks to the deep fog/mist on the area you really can't see well and that's the point. Bots are total killers in this map as the fog doesn't affect to their sight or accuracy at all. Most fun this map is when played with other people. No one can see much and you might even accidentally run past your enemy without noticing him/her [:D]. Check the screenies, try it out and send some feedback.

Here we reds are at the lake in team play... Find three of us [8D]...
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] WhoGoesThereATTHELAKE.JPG15.58 KB

Now where did that rambo come from? Guess at this point it doesn't matter anymore as he is too close [xx(].
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] WhoGoesThereBYEBYE.JPG16.99 KB

And here is tha map!!! Download, install and get ready to match till your death [:-devil]!
Download Attachment: [IMAGE] WhoGoesThere.zip20.89 KB

MacAnkka
November 20, 2002, 2:14 pm

Nice map indeed...
It is hard to see anyone in the fog indeed, bots are total killers.
This level is a campers paradise. in the left most spawn point, there is TOO much grass. with other people, if you camp there with barret, enemy will never know what hit him. as i said CAMPERS PARADISE...

Apro
November 20, 2002, 3:23 pm

First of all the camper has hard time when he tries to spot you, even harder when he tries to hit you. Secondly, if you lob one granade in, that should drive all the campers out [:D]. Try it... Works always... As that is the only camping place on the map, there ain't going to be a camper wars type of game, where everyone just camp in one corner waiting for others to arrive.

Killa Gorilla
November 20, 2002, 8:17 pm
how did you make it so foggy?

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 20, 2002, 11:06 pm
yes i wanna know that too :) map maker pro, scenery transparency?

Killa Gorilla
November 21, 2002, 3:53 pm
nah.... i don't think that's the scenery... think about how much of it you need to make the WHOLE level foggy. i bet it's kinda changed *.ini file or somethin'.

but please tell us! oh master of fog! :)

Meitzi
November 21, 2002, 4:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by Killa Gorilla
nah.... i don't think that's the scenery... think about how much of it you need to make the WHOLE level foggy.It is scenery, one BIG scenery. With latest EditPro (of course [^]) you can make scenery size anything you want.

Apro
November 21, 2002, 5:50 pm

Yep... Meitzi is right [^]... I used the EditPro to make the fog and I used scenerys. With the edit pro you can stretch the scenerys to any size you want to [:D]. Very useful. hmmm... master of fog... sounds cool [8D]...

Killa Gorilla
November 21, 2002, 7:41 pm
cool! i like this fog idea... but i wouldn't make so much of it. but since the map is called what it's called i think that's cool! i'll probably make a map with foggy elements. i.e. if the master doesn't mind... 8)

Apro
November 21, 2002, 9:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Killa Gorilla
cool! i like this fog idea... but i wouldn't make so much of it. but since the map is called what it's called i think that's cool! i'll probably make a map with foggy elements. i.e. if the master doesn't mind... 8)

Well the idea of this map was to show you the true powers of the fog and the transparency. From my previous maps you should have noticed how I have used transparency also for water and for windows. The name WhoGoesThere was originally on one of my CTF levels, as it was the first of my maps with fog this heavy. On net that would have been a great map, but as no-one plays these maps on web (as no one puts them to their servers [:(!]) I thought that players would be ripping their hair off fighting against bots in CTF (as you can't see so well what coloured they are, but bots can see you very well). In deathmatch this doesn't matter so much as you just shoot everything that moves (if you see them moving). BTW: did you know that my earlier map called ctf_BlueLand (available here in the forums) already had a slight fog effect? You may use the fog, water and window effects if you want to... Just don't say that it was you who invented them as that wouldn't be so fair (I think you understand what I mean... You don't have to mention anything stupid like "The idea by great fogmaster Apro").

Killa Gorilla
November 21, 2002, 9:46 pm
i would never do that! in fact i never say anything bout a map exept for what map that is (i only make dm maps), smth about the bwp and my name. and i'm also inteligent enough not to write "idea by the great fogmaster". i just called you so cause... i don't know... it was a joke. so stay calm - i won't do such crap.

but i still like your idea very much :)

you said smth about water... how do you mean it? all the sceneries are green and broun and grey and so. but none of them is blue. or do you mean changing some scenery? but that wouldn't be much of an idea how to use it. so please tell me what you mean. i'm making a pretty cool (i think it will be cool) level with plenty of water in it so i could use some info on how to make it.

thx

Killa Gorilla
November 21, 2002, 9:58 pm
oh... and also don't forget to check out my maps at the new maps section [:)]. you'll find my topic there. i've checked out your maps so please check out mine, too (sounds childish but well). and tell me what you think...
thx

ps
i've forgot to tell you what i think of your maps:

this blue land thingy is very cool but it hurts my eyes. maybe i've got a sort of
wussy-eye-syndrom or something but that's the fact.

whogoesthere is realy funny! it's like... who? commando is that y..*dead* *gg* but i still always win! keep up the work!

and why don't you make a kinda mars map? smth like a big asteroid in the middle (with crates and stuff) and a broken space ship. maybe also some martian statues like little green ppl :)

i don't want to teach you something. just sharing an idea. i would do it my self but i'm too busy working on my new map.
well.... i think that's all.
cya

JayBDey
November 23, 2002, 5:22 am
Wow, nice map. I really like the fog. If it's alright with the creater I would like to review this map on my site. I will be reviewing maps all the time. This one seems like a good map to start with. I will of course give full credit to the author and link back to your site if you have one.

Is it ok with you?

Pege
November 23, 2002, 7:05 am
BTW there's 1 problem with your fog... With old ATI cards you can't see anything, because they don't support transparency in Soldat. So I consider it cheating.

JayBDey
November 23, 2002, 7:51 am
Just because you cant see it dosnt mean it's cheating. Dont play fog maps then.

Apro
November 23, 2002, 11:09 am

Anyone may use any of my maps of their SOLDAT pages as long as I am mentioned as the author... Reviews would be nice. If you revew any of my maps on your pages please PM me the adress so I can go and check the review. And sorry 'bout the transparency problem, but it ain't my fault [:D]...

mak89gt
November 23, 2002, 4:48 pm
love da map!

Apro
November 24, 2002, 8:45 pm

Hey Killa: by water I meant the thing for example on the ctf_BlueLand map... You can't make blue water, so I made dirty water [:D]... Or actually there is a way to make blue water... You have to use paint to make "Wooden Board" blue. It will spoil all the other maps, but makes the water in my maps look blue. When you get bored to the blue water just copy paste the original wooden board back to where it was (this means that before you have coloured the wooden board blue, you have made a safe-copy someplace else). Gonna go and DL your maps now...

Killa Gorilla
November 24, 2002, 9:30 pm
right. thx! why didn't I think of it first? :) i made a waterfall now using this transparancy thingy. it's in my new map and i'll upload it uh... let me think..... tomorrow or so. i think i'll call it "Island Wars" - you'll see why when i've done the waypoints and uped it. AND it has tons of blue water. the only thing is... it's not transparent. but who cares? it looks great!

btw in the new map maker i wish the possibility insert your own sceneries WITHOUT deleting the old ones. has anybody the same wishes?

and thx for checkin' out the maps - waitin' for feedback!

JayBDey
November 25, 2002, 12:33 am
http://members.lycos.co.uk/gameconn/article.php?2.0 I put the review on my site.

Apro
November 25, 2002, 11:45 am
Great pages JayB... Now all you need is more maps. Feel free to review the rest of my maps if you want to [:D]. And it seems that Killa wouldn't mind his maps reviewed either (you better ask him first).

Killa Gorilla
November 25, 2002, 4:22 pm
i don't mind. go ahead and review then!

High
December 15, 2002, 3:28 am
Apro: what mod were you using when you take that screenshot...

Flanagan
December 15, 2002, 9:02 pm
High, don't go OT with a personal question. PM Apro, and learn to use the EDIT button, don't double post.

High
December 20, 2002, 8:36 pm
me too...and i just got your PM

Flanagan
December 20, 2002, 8:50 pm
THey arent' mine per say, but I am the mod for the map makers, and I don't want these valuable topics to go to hell.

Retribution
December 20, 2002, 10:12 pm
I love da map!!I might want to put it up on this soldat site i am working for if it is ok with you.Is it?

Deleted User
December 24, 2002, 1:06 pm
Apro: What kind of interface do you have???
Can I get it????

Outcast
December 24, 2002, 2:25 pm
It's a good map just it's not for m79 ( [:(] )

Apro
December 25, 2002, 10:32 pm
I'm back [:D]!!! WOOHOO!!! Get the party started and bring in the women!!! I know you all have missed me A LOT... Well maybe you haven't, but who cares... I think it's really cool that many ppl like my map... Please do put my map on your pages, rate it and remember to mention me as the author... And that "MOD" is made by me...

mak89gt
December 25, 2002, 10:45 pm
the mod is nice
da map is gr8
nice map, but i hope u dont mind if a change the bot waypoints so that bots are real meanies?

Apro
December 25, 2002, 10:51 pm
I know that those bots suck... I can bot... I can bot really well... But I see botting as almost the most boring thing in the world so usually in my maps bots do the jub but nothing extra... And please ppl who like this map: those of you who haven't downloaded ctf_catacombs2 do it now... It still maybe is my best map [;)].

mak89gt
December 25, 2002, 11:13 pm
where is ctf_catacombs2 found?

High
December 27, 2002, 1:31 am
Apro: ask arcwolf to bot it for you...and where can i get your mod?

Flanagan
December 27, 2002, 3:57 am
High: I warned you not to make personal messages in the opern forum.

High
December 28, 2002, 8:31 pm
Flanagan: when...i dont see it here...did you deleted it...and sorry