( search forums )
There should be mines
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 1, 2003, 7:32 pm
I think that there shold be mines...but you can see the tops of them.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 1, 2003, 7:33 pm
o yea..and they should be a secondary weapon and you can only carry one(when you use it you have to die before you can use another...)

systemfeind
December 1, 2003, 7:50 pm
hmm for me its enough that on a server with about 5 ppl there a masses of grenades on the bottom where i can step right in mine-like

y0da
December 1, 2003, 7:54 pm
No, on the polish forum it wasn't accepted. Btw. It was my idea [:I]

Dathker
December 2, 2003, 2:26 am
i think thats a good idea..but then i have to becarful

Wills59
December 2, 2003, 4:32 am
good idea.. i'm still liking that suicide powerup

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 2, 2003, 7:13 am
sry bout that Yoda...and i see your point SF

arC
December 2, 2003, 12:28 pm
Hmm not a bad idea, but there would be major spammage of mines around the flag in CTF.

Aquillion
December 2, 2003, 12:59 pm
This has been suggested before. I think it's a very good idea. To prevent 'spammage', there should be a timer on mines (e.g. 30 seconds, or even just 15); after that time they would explode on their own. That way, if you want to keep your flag mined you'd have to stay near it at all times... And it'd be risky to walk away after putting a mine on top of it, since the flag might be blown out of your base by the eventual explosion.

I don't think it would be necessary to restrict people to 1-mine-per-life if it was done in this fashion. A better way might be to make them a 'grenade powerup', much in the way that cluster grenades are now.

Droopy
December 2, 2003, 3:42 pm
Nah! The mine activates the minute you step on it! Like a granade! And its power would be similar to a nade. But there would have to be a option, on how many granades there would be in the game! Exept for the ones you place!

cooz
December 2, 2003, 5:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquillion
To prevent 'spammage', there should be a timer on mines (e.g. 30 seconds, or even just 15); after that time they would explode on their own.

if so, u already have granades - u throw it and after 5 sec it explodes - what for u still need mines? maybe just add nades with long "boom time" lol

R0L4ND
December 2, 2003, 6:25 pm
Screw regular mines, what we REALLY need is a Claymore anti-personnel mine, remote detonated only. To prevent CTF whorage, we can put in a distance barrier of 20 yds. from the flag where it cant be planted.

sativa
December 2, 2003, 7:08 pm
good idea but flag whore's would be able to kill flag with it to (i can do it with grenades to so no point of using this) but like roland says remote mines are better

R0L4ND
December 2, 2003, 7:25 pm
One thing i missed ´to tell is that the "No mines" zone is FIXED around the flag capture-site. It doesnt move along with the flag.

LiL_FuKa
December 2, 2003, 8:28 pm
I agree with Aquillion. Also, you should only be able to carry 1 mine, otherwise they'd be everywhere, wouldn't they?

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 2, 2003, 9:06 pm
umm fuka, i already said that

?
December 2, 2003, 11:31 pm
no this idea is horrible, if they have timers then they wouldbe useless unless you chunk them into another teams base which would cause spawning, if there is not timer then people as it was said before would throw them by flag whichwould make it extrmely hard to get the flag.

Aquillion
December 3, 2003, 1:29 am
30 seconds is a long time in Soldat -- it's more then enough time to get all the way across most levels. If dropping a mine in a narrow corridor delays the opposition for anywhere close to that long, it could easily win your team a point under CTF; in a crowded level, dropping a mine in a high-traffic area have a very good chance of killing someone before 30 seconds had passed.

If 30 seconds isn't long enough, it could be expanded to 45 or 60; there has to be a good time limit somewhere. 60 seconds is already 1/5th of a 5-minute game--at that length, I'd think you're almost sure to hit someone eventually with a well-placed mine. In any case, if the correct timer is chosen it should be easy to make them useful without creating huge mine pileups.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 3, 2003, 4:49 am
well... maybe the mine could dissapear after the person dies...so in a 4 on 4 just as an example there could only be 8 mines out at a time...and you know like in veit, the area around the flag that is red for red base or blue for blue base ...you shouldnt be able to place mines in that area...

Droopy
December 3, 2003, 6:50 pm
What do you mean dissapere after killing you! They would explode wouldnt they! I seen people deissapere after being hit by a nade. But they somehow magicaly came back after a while.. And sometimes I come back after a while...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 3, 2003, 11:20 pm
well thats what i meant(explode)[:P]

Wills59
December 4, 2003, 5:34 am
a) 1 mine perperson to start

b) get 3 mines in a crate powerup

c) all mines blow up when placer dies

d) Mines can be detonated by firing at them or grenading them

e) mines can not be clustered together, ie 1 per 4 body leagths

f) Mines can not be placed within 2 body leangths of the flag(s)

h) mines can not be thrown, they must be dropped

i) mines bury themselves when deployed, and are hard (but not impossible) to spot

Droopy
December 4, 2003, 3:25 pm
I agree and after you place it you have 5 seconds to get out of there! I only dont agree about exploding whene you die! They stay there or deactivate or something.

El_Mariachi
December 4, 2003, 5:12 pm
Well I for one would not like mines.
I mean, imagine five barrett users, with mines, the horror, the slowing up of a "fast paced action game" (<- maybe a paraphrase..).

I mean, maybe mines could be implemented, it does add a five strategic possibilites, but I think the downs are far worse than the ups.

/Mariachi

Droopy
December 4, 2003, 8:16 pm
You got a point mon! Mines should be placed in the map maker and not as secondary.

So knowing where the mines are and knowing how to run and jump would be fatal for flag cariers!

Or there should be mine fields and not scatered all over the map like in worms!

Aquillion
December 6, 2003, 1:00 pm
I think they would have to be optional, like realistic mode or the other powerups. Adding an element of strategy is sort of the point of mines, though, so if you want maxspeed killkillkill then you'd want to play on servers where they were turned off. But Barret-users who set up minefields could still be dealt with if you were clever; the most typical way to deal with everything (attack from above) would still work fine on them. If nothing else, their mines would go off eventually on their own...

If mines are implemented, they should definately be dropped by players. Having mines start out as part of the field would be pointless and wouldn't add anything to the game.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 6, 2003, 7:32 pm
yea now that i think about it they should be a powerup like nades/health...and there should be one in it, but it gets rid of all of your nades and you have to crouch to place it, it takes 2 seconds to plant. you can only carry one at a time

tbfg
December 7, 2003, 3:49 am
I think it could work... but... i think the greande is cind of like a mine... i mean when u step on it it explode...

AJ
December 7, 2003, 10:43 am
How about this... Some people really want mines, because of the added strategy it would add. The main objection people have to mines is that it would slow a game down, or give campers another weapon. Particularly people don't like the idea of a heavily mined flag zone. On the other hand, if you mined your own flag zone, how the hell would you score a point without blowing yourself up? I think that if mines were implemented, they should damage your own team even if friendly fire is turned off.

I agree that they should be picked up as power-ups like cluster grenades, so that a camper would actually have to venture out to find them first. I don't see any problem with getting three mines in a pack though - it is a rare power-up.

I also like the idea of only being able to lay a mine when crouching, and that it should take a while. Crouch, press grenade throw to place.

Finally - what if you could set off a mine by shooting it? I think that would get rid of most of the concerns of people who hate the whole idea of a heavily defended base. If you were worried about mines lying around, you could just spray the area with your trusty machine gun.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 7, 2003, 4:51 pm
yea i think that would be good

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 7, 2003, 4:52 pm
yea i think that would work out well[:D]

Droopy
December 8, 2003, 3:04 pm
Its a good idea! Thats all.

Just let it be in realistic.

Marry-Kate Olsen
December 8, 2003, 4:04 pm
If mines were part of map maker they would just be an annoyance like deadly polys.

Droopy
December 9, 2003, 3:05 pm
So they should be a option to turn them of!

palloco
December 9, 2003, 7:55 pm
OMG Mines! This is not a tanks game

CountZero
December 9, 2003, 11:29 pm
heres my solution to the mines problem
make them like a claymore exept after throwing it a bit it shoots a laser beam from one side. if anyone trips the beam it detonates
since it will function like a claymore instead of a large explosion you would have a relativly small explosion thatwill send out a lot of paellets in an arc in the direction of hte beam

lamadog
December 12, 2003, 2:14 am
I've been using nades as mines for ages. Just throw them where you know people will be running, this is escpecially effective if you throw them in high grass or other similiar things, cause then theyr near invisible. I see no need for mines in soldat, but if it were to be inteplemented I wouldnt cry...

-SPI-
December 12, 2003, 4:13 am
Yeah, laser tripmines. You could see the laser and then you could avoid them, but also stupidly run or fly into them. As long as the laser isn't too obvoius. They have these in one of the leiro clones and the both look and work well. But mines should be like nades, a pickup.

As for worrying about them, they can always be turned off by the person running the server, I see them as adding another strategic element.

Droopy
December 12, 2003, 3:49 pm
Lamadog, I think we all do that. But I always wanted for that nade to stay there and wait! I use nades when im in teh air and usualy they hit in teh air. So.. go MINES!!