( search forums )
A semi skill system
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Spike
December 5, 2003, 12:11 am
It would be cool if there was a semi skill system. Not like an rpg exactly but a list of traits for you to pick from that suits your soldat playing style the most.

When setting up your soldat you could select 3 skills that work best with your playing style. Skills would not overlap each other. Meaning you could not pick something like increased jet 2 times you can only select a skill once.

Some skills could be...

Increased Jet: 25% to your max jet fuel.

Increased Health: 15% to your soldats health.

Quick Reload: 15% faster reload.

Speedy Soldat: your soldat moves 15% faster.

Super Jump: your soldat jumps 50% higher.

Tough Man: when you are in prone you regenerate hp at a slow rate. 10% hp every 2 seconds. So it takes 20 seconds of sitting in prone to get back to 100% hp

Acrobatic: move quicker in prone and crouch as well as jeting on the floor in prone.

Camo: When your soldat is staying still in prone or crouch he will slowly become invisible. The outline of his body can still be seen but his soldat figure will be the background colors. If the soldat moves or shoots he is revealed.

Natural Flagger: If your soldat has the flag he moves 15% faster.

Grenadier: Your soldat spawns with 6 grenades

Strong man: Your soldat has an extra weapons slot so he can pick up a 3rd weapon on the field. So he would spawn with his primary weapon/secondary weapon/and fist. Meaning you would have to change weapon till you got to your fists and pick up a weapon on the floor.
*note strongman cannot be used with medic or scout skills

Medic: Your soldat has a 3rd weapon that is a medipack. Apon using he throws a full health powerup onto the floor in front of him. The reload time would be about 50% longer than a barret shot.

Scout: Your soldat has a 3rd weapon that is a set of binoculars. The binoculars are used to look slightly farther than a barret without having to crouch or prone.
*note medic and scout cannot both be selected.
*also if medic or scout you cannot drop your medipack or binoculars. this way poeple cannot use these skills without the class.

These skills arnt to overpowering and would add some fun to soldat. Also there could be a server option that could turn off the skills so you can still play soldat the normal way.

How would you know if a server has skills activated or not?
There should be a button in game that brings up server settings kinda like the score table.

so please reply good or bad? i think it would be great to see players developing theyre own styles especially seeing the skills are not overpowering and there are combinations for type classes. Plus you could still play without skills.

Spectral
December 5, 2003, 12:19 am
dude this is a great idea, but might take a long time to develop into the game

fabmanx
December 5, 2003, 12:24 am
yea this is the best idea so far imo...to bad i dont like it..but as spec said it would be hard to develop in teh game :)

Scuba Steve
December 5, 2003, 12:33 am
I think that is a really good idea.

CardBoardWarrior
December 5, 2003, 1:28 am
Nice idea...but don't expect to see it soon.

?
December 5, 2003, 1:31 am
well i would love it, but it would have to be a huge patch =/

N1nj@
December 5, 2003, 1:39 am
this is like the warcraft III mod for CS

Spitzfiya
December 5, 2003, 1:45 am
Wow, great Idea man!!!!!!!!!!
Acrobatic all the way

Spike
December 5, 2003, 2:02 am
thanks maybe if enough poeple like the idea michal would concider adding it... it couldnt be that hard to put in hes only editing what he has already asside from the medikit and binoculars, still it would take a while.

blan
December 5, 2003, 2:11 am
this is a great idea. Its like a class mods for many of the 1st person shooters out there. I love it. Thumbs up

Weed
December 5, 2003, 2:13 am
it is a good idea really...
but it seems as u dont want 1.2 to come out till 2005 ;)

Kazuki
December 5, 2003, 2:13 am
Hahaha!! This is freakin awesom! Its like Final Fantasy X all over again! Speed all the way!

Maybe you would have to complete some sort of task to get a certain skill too.

Spike
December 5, 2003, 2:17 am
no no tasks its not ment to be that way only select 3 skills where you setup your character that way its balanced. thats why none of the skills are super powerful.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 5, 2003, 2:25 am
great idea!! it ads a lot of depth to the game and makes it makes it where you have to strategize more.

SoldatStriker
December 5, 2003, 2:48 am
I'm all for this.

I think you should select your three skills from Player setup screen as well. This is the type of system Soldat needs to attract more players of varying skill levels and tastes.

SILENT
December 5, 2003, 2:59 am
Woah..nice spike[:-thumbu]

[:-psst]*psst* scout is best

TIR_Blade
December 5, 2003, 3:10 am
Very good idea, all for it, I don't see any problems with it, can't wait to see what combo's will be effective :D

OmniKill
December 5, 2003, 3:11 am
ya awesome idea but it should be presented as a mod for 1.2

Wills59
December 5, 2003, 3:21 am
Great idea, except i don't lke dirty fighter, not fair enough

SILENT
December 5, 2003, 3:33 am
and quick reload is pretty cheap.

Spike
December 5, 2003, 3:38 am
15% aint that much for quick reload its enough so you would want to pick it, but not not enough for it to be abusive, dirty fighter could be looked at as a cheap skill but theyre giving up another skill that could benefiet them more, because most of the powerups are crap

Wills59
December 5, 2003, 3:51 am
flamer on a small map dominates

Spike
December 5, 2003, 4:03 am
aye so true but there is a time limit on flame god

Spectral
December 5, 2003, 4:04 am
flame god not difficult to avoid

Flanagan
December 5, 2003, 4:05 am
Increased Jet: 25% to your max jet fuel.

Quick Reload: 15% faster reload.

Speedy Soldat: your soldat moves 15% faster.

Super Jump: your soldat jumps 50% higher.

Tough Man: when you are in prone you regenerate hp at a slow rate, 5% every 3 seconds.

Acrobatic: you can roll as long as you want and move quicker in prone and crouch as well as jeting on the floor in prone.

Camo: When your soldat is staying still in prone or crouch he will slowly become invisible. The outline of his body can still be seen but his soldat figure will be the background colors. If the soldat moves or shoots he is revealed. Bit too much like stealth, I dunno. Not that bad, might give too much advantage to a sniper on a scenery filled map or large map.

Natural Flagger: If your soldat has the flag he moves 15% faster.

Dirty Figher: Every time your soldat respawns he will have a random powerup.

Grenadier: Your soldat spawns with double to a minimum of 6 the normal grenades.

Strong man: Your soldat has an extra weapons slot so he can pick up a 3rd weapon on the field. So he would spawn with his primary weapon/secondary weapon/and fist. Meaning you would have to change weapon till you got to your fists and pick up a weapon on the floor.

Medic: Your soldat has a 3rd weapon that is a medipack. Apon using he throws a full health powerup onto the floor in front of him. The reload time would be about 50% longer than a barret shot.

Scout: Your soldat has a 3rd weapon that is a set of binoculars. The binoculars are used to look slightly farther than a barret without having to crouch or prone.

Spike
December 5, 2003, 4:06 am
aye so true but there is a time limit on flame god

Spike
December 5, 2003, 4:18 am
your posts have been put into concideration i changed jet time to 25 taken out dirty fighter adjusted acrobat and changed grenadier to spawn with 6 nades

Wills59
December 5, 2003, 5:11 am
why change "you can roll as long as you want" and "minimum of 6 the normal grenades" ?

Spike
December 5, 2003, 5:32 am
because u can already roll alot i spose if you guys really want it back added i will :) and the 6 nades thing is so its worth getting moreless unless you kick ass with grenades or you wanna suicide alot u prolly wont pick that skill.

R
December 5, 2003, 5:35 am
i'm not liking the camo thing, people would just prone and be invisible, therefore enhancing the camping process, and you only need 1 shot to be effective, and due to this it seems like he would have to move, so how would camo work anyways?

Spike
December 5, 2003, 5:43 am
If you had the camo skill if you stayed still you would go invisible with the outline of yourbody. You could look arround but the second you move from your position or fire you are fully revealed. Sure it does encourage camping, but it also encourages sneak attacks also youll have another skill assuming you dont pick camo to make up for his sneaky ability. Its probably one of the cheaper skills but the drawback from moving or fireing evens it out. Plus you can still see his outline.

eyic
December 5, 2003, 5:54 am
Great idea spike, im with it 100% =)

Kamikaze_Ninja
December 5, 2003, 5:58 am
Very nice, maybe a semi berserk skill where it has the same effect but a shorter time limit and also how about for ppl who like knives have all 3 slots become knives mauahahha *cough* yes I like. ^^

Spike
December 5, 2003, 6:00 am
semi berserk would be abusive 3 slots of knives would be awsome but then knives would be ammo and that would be abusive too cool idea though

that fuking sniper
December 5, 2003, 6:51 am
The camo thing wont really help against camped snipers. You need to move and THEN stop, if you move into their sight range, its enough for them to get you. Furthermore, it would greatly benefit the campers themselves, the idea of having invisible people that can shoot you 2 screens away makes my spine shiver...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 5, 2003, 7:05 am
if you had 50% more jump you would need to edit a few maps

Dark Soul
December 5, 2003, 7:30 pm
Really nice ideas. What about adding a "Hard Soldier" (Makes the soldier's body 15% harder)

b00stA
December 5, 2003, 7:47 pm
Dark Soul, wouldn't that just mean this?

Or whatever you mean with "hard".

Meandor
December 5, 2003, 7:48 pm
I agree too, i posted something similar some time ago, only difference that i thought it would be cool if you could take a 'good skill' for each 'bad skill'. So for each skill you choose, you need to choose another from a list of bad things. Let's say, you pick 'knockback' ( if you punch or use buttstock on someone, they get knocked back with 40% damage ), but also need 'reduced health' ( health -10% ? ) to balance it.

SILENT
December 5, 2003, 8:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by Kamikaze_Ninja
Very nice, maybe a semi berserk skill where it has the same effect but a shorter time limit and also how about for ppl who like knives have all 3 slots become knives mauahahha *cough* yes I like. ^^

[:-thumbu] add that one [:-devil]

Dark Soul
December 5, 2003, 8:38 pm
With "harder" i mean something like armor (Damage reduction)

b00stA
December 5, 2003, 8:47 pm
Great, some magical power already added it to the list!

morpheus
December 5, 2003, 9:01 pm
yeah, we definitely need new modes. even if just a few of these things were added in, it'd be a nice change of pace.

quote:Originally posted by Weed

but it seems as u dont want 1.2 to come out till 2005 ;)

you think it'll be out that early ;)