( search forums )
Linux server crash issue
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
vekotin
December 8, 2003, 6:40 pm
There were several issues with setting up a Linux Soldat server. Disabling ASE registration helped with some of the first issues(errors on startup, errors with client connects), but the main problem of frequent crashing remains.

There's virtually no information at all available. At some point, the server just crashes, gets stuck. There is no error, all I have to do is use ctrl-c to halt it, wait some 10 seconds for the port to be freed, then restart it. Generally speaking, the server runs for a few hours before this happens, sometime the time can be even shorter.

I'm providing some information on the operating environment. I've tested this on a few servers.
Pentium III server machines with Intel chipsets, single and dual CPU configurations tested
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0(Woody) with a recent 2.4 series kernel
Server running in screen, I've disabled all gaming server keepalive/monitoring utilities for testing purposes.

I'm running quite a lot of gaming servers here and only once I've seen something similar. This was due to a gaming server software being compiled on a very new gcc version, while this Debian stable version isn't quite the newest. If this is the case, in my opinion, support for older gcc versions is important. It is usually better to not use the very latest versions. When you have a functional and tested environment with good availability of security updates, it's a very good setup. Especially in an environment of several hundred servers, this becomes a major issue.

I would very much be interested in supporting Soldat servers as public and rental gaming servers at our location so any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also, please let me know if there are any further steps I could take in my end or if I could provide more information.

If we look at this from the perspective of a game server monitoring software, a small change to the server program would be useful. The console could be made to respond to a simple status command (ie, type "status" on the console, and it responds with current map, player amount, other basic information). In such case, a monitoring software could perform such a query on the server console, and if there is no response, the server would be restarted. Also, responding to a "quit" command would be useful.

Kyuu 'Vekotin' Eturautti
Tukikohta Online Gaming
Tampere, Finland

Leo
December 10, 2003, 12:26 pm
Please, the maker of this game take a look at this post. I have already rent a server from this company but we can't continue due to the problems mentioned above.

DNA.styx
December 10, 2003, 1:21 pm
I understand that the forum mod has flagged this post with Michal for investigation. If you don't get a response from him or other *nix server admins give him an email on: michalm@poczta.fm