( search forums )
Soldat DVD Case Cover
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Amon26
December 10, 2003, 7:31 pm
For some reason, this little game has opened the floodgates of creativity for me. Lastnight I sat down and spent 6 straight hours creating a dvd-case cover for soldat. I didn't use anything that wasn't originally on Michal's website. Altho to make the "soldat" logo in predator lettering look good and not like it was just an enlarged version of the .gif i had to find the font he used on the web.

NOTE this is in NO WAY an attempt to undermine, or commercially distribute soldat! I just created a flashy cover for anybody who would like to keep a hard-copy of it in something better than a CD-R and flimsy Jewel-case.. Currently I'm working on making a label of the cd itself, along with a little pamphlet to slide into the clips inside the case.

If this gets some response i'll make another post in here including a low-detail jpg preview of it for anybody interested in seeing it. The actual image is 25mb in .bmp format at 300dpi.

palloco
December 10, 2003, 8:44 pm
Im interested. I love art. Usually a jpg (do not say low detail because then it would occupy over 10 kb) with 640*480 px is more than enough to show anyhting

Marry-Kate Olsen
December 10, 2003, 8:44 pm
Interesting. Would be nice to see it.

Chakra
December 10, 2003, 9:17 pm
SOLDAT: THE OFFICAL DVD , comes with behind the scenes footage on the Making of Soldat with commentaries by Michal Marcinwookie, complete with profile of the genius and a brief history of how soldat was born. Buy now, and get Monsters Inc. at half price!

25mb for a bmp image? bejayzus luv...turn it into a jpg with MSPaint ...or if you got msn, add me and i'll do it for ya, 'cos i'm just that nice. I'll remove you from my msn soon afterwards though, as you scare me. I don't trust anyone with a cool sig but no avatar.

y0da
December 10, 2003, 9:36 pm
send me it and i'll "shrink" the kb...

Cookie.
December 10, 2003, 9:39 pm
michal marcin"wookie" lol hehehe michal is a wookie? :P post a jpg of it please eh

Amon26
December 10, 2003, 10:38 pm
Oh goodness, the preview of it wont be a 20mb file. I meant that is the actual size of the print-quality version. Here's a much smaller browser friendly jpg preview.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] preview.jpg32.2 KB

So what you think?

Aquarius
December 10, 2003, 10:56 pm
VERY NICE!

cooz
December 10, 2003, 10:59 pm
interesting... (maybe bigger preview ;)

SILENT
December 10, 2003, 11:09 pm
[:-thumbu]Nice! gimme a copy[:-thumbu]

DeafBox
December 10, 2003, 11:26 pm
Dude that looks fukin sweeet!!! I could never do that in Ms Paint...
Good Job

Amon26
December 10, 2003, 11:35 pm
I need somebody to give me accurate dimensions on the DVD insert, ive been doing a few test prints and they've been a little on the skampy side, i'm gona resize the original vector image so that you wont notice any 'pixel-stretch' but i need the proper info. btw anyone know of a good server i can upload this bigass file onto so you could all download it at your own liesure?. it would be kinda time consuming to send everybody the cover individually (got a 56k modem) but thanks for the positive input!

Milkman Dan
December 11, 2003, 2:15 am
that pics [:-censored]ing awesome

Social Poison
December 11, 2003, 3:48 am
Very impressive ^_^

morpheus
December 11, 2003, 3:58 am
looks really good, but on the spine it says, "2d multiplayer 2d shooter" it's kinda redundant, so you might wanna change that. otherwise, looks great.

R
December 11, 2003, 4:44 am
a place u can upload files up to like 15 mb's i think, or maybe more is [URL]

Very Very nice job on that, looks fantastic

Amon26
December 11, 2003, 4:55 am
meh, i really cant compromise the size of it without making it look crappy. Maybe i'll find a friend who owns webspace and will allot me a little sub-website on his/hers. im also working on a CD-label template, and a little insert-card.. Would a Polish version be appreciated?

eyic
December 11, 2003, 5:26 am
looks nice man =)

frogboy
December 11, 2003, 6:01 am
Just save it as a PNG, in Paint if you have XP, otherwise use Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop. That basically halves the size of it.

Amon26
December 11, 2003, 6:28 am
halves the size of it.. but it causes image-quality loss too doesnt it? btw im using PS7 for it

Aquarius
December 11, 2003, 6:43 am
Save it as a TIF with LZW compression (you won't lost quality) in RGB mode (RGB < CMYK :)

y0da
December 11, 2003, 10:07 am
send it to michal, send it to michal, send it to michal! He must update it in the download section!

Element_101
December 11, 2003, 10:17 am
Kool.. the green colour just goes naturally with soldat!!

Hercule Poirot
December 11, 2003, 11:22 am
YAY thats kewl :P GJ!

b00stA
December 11, 2003, 4:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeafBox
Dude that looks fukin sweeet!!! I could never do that in Ms Paint...
Good Job

Well, who said he made that with MS Paint? I wonder how you could even think of that o_O

quote:Originally posted by Amon26
halves the size of it.. but it causes image-quality loss too doesnt it? btw im using PS7 for it

You could just save it as JPEG but with 100% quality. Usually you won't notice a difference and the filesize is very small compared to BMP.
(Just use anything instead of BMP :P)

For hosting the file, I'm sure www.selfkill.com will support you with it and host it :) (25MB (hopefully less) isn't a problem for them afaik).

The dimensions of a DVD-case (inlet)?
I googled for it and I found this: http://www.miri.it/html/dvdpack.htm
quote:Standard DVD box 136 x 191 x 15 mm
Inlet dimensions Width 274 mm - length 183 mm
Booklet dimensions Width 120 mm - length 175 mm
Just check if it's right :)

Dragon88
December 11, 2003, 6:12 pm
I can host it. Just email it to me at jmrambo88@yahoo.com and I'll see if i can get it up. BTW, that looks freakin' awesome, too bad I don't have a color printer :(

Amon26
December 11, 2003, 6:51 pm
Sweet! thanks for all the info guys. I'll probably go with .png format, im impressed with the quality. and after michal returns i'll get in touch with him ASAP about using it on his website.

Here's a preview of the CD label,

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] CD_preview.jpg28.88 KB

and a better preview of the front cover.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] cover_preview.jpg27.47 KB

its coming soon

b00stA
December 11, 2003, 7:42 pm
Just so you know, Soldat runs on Windows 2000, too :)

From the Soldat manual:
Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP

Anyway, all the stuff looks good, especially for a private backup ;)

Oh, and here's a CD-ROM cover from Soldatstriker:
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=7008&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=CD
it fits better to the Soldat style (simplicity, pixelish)

Hrmm.. a combination of those two would be great :>

bLaStEr
December 11, 2003, 8:58 pm
ANON, can I KISS YOU OMFG!!!
your fking good & I would pay for that cover matey NICE JOB ;D

sqweek
December 11, 2003, 10:20 pm
PNG uses lossless compression, as far as I know :)

moysturfurmer
December 11, 2003, 11:17 pm
nice box, buts it's wookieE

?
December 12, 2003, 12:46 am
yeah another project that will never be finished =D