( search forums )
Bigger server?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
December 14, 2003, 12:42 am
Bejayzus. That bloody server is always full!

A problem though is dnagame's soldat server and this forum are both running on the same steam (I believe). Would it be possible to expand the amount allowed on the server without any dramatic increase in lag for both?

Could the forums have a max amount of users to compensate?

..was just a thought..

SERIAL KILLeR
December 14, 2003, 1:28 am
Why not make 2 servers.
Or will that lag to much?

Hitman
December 14, 2003, 1:53 am
Chakra's got a good point it is always full, I think that the limit should be increased.

Dathker
December 14, 2003, 2:19 am
yes it should be...but still when you play soldat we too many people it becomes retarted cuz after you die..some one is always there and spawn kills you...like a thousand times in a row :X

BMF
December 14, 2003, 3:59 am
Sure, lets make it 20 people like it was on Shadowline. I played on that server every day

Oh wait, no i didnt. It was an overcrowded piece of [:-censored]. Leave DNA alone, the last thing we need is extra lag.

frogboy
December 14, 2003, 4:07 am
Just reset the password, it gets rid of all the n00bs, making the game emptier for all DNAGames visitors.

El Toddissimo
December 14, 2003, 4:35 am
Wouldn't the server's computer just need enough RAM? i mean this game's requirements aren't exactally through the roof maybe 512 RAM could hold a giant server? Or am I completely wrong? On most games the more RAM you have the less laggy it is high enough no lag, and RAM depends on how many people can be on your server (HALO and Counter-Strike I would assume have the same type of thing as everything else including this). So basically I would think that if the server computer had enough RAM they could hold pretty big games, so yes I think they can expand the servers

frogboy
December 14, 2003, 4:37 am
The server probably has enough RAM already- The reason that there is some lag is because it's a shared server.

El Toddissimo
December 14, 2003, 4:40 am
what do you mean by shared?

frogboy
December 14, 2003, 4:51 am
Soldat, Unreal Tournament, and another game are shared on a DNAGames server.

El Toddissimo
December 14, 2003, 5:01 am
Oh I thought you meant something else, maybe they could make 4 servers then: ctf, deathmatch, teamdeathmatch, ctf (2 ctf nobody plays infiltration it's too easy for blue)

LiL_FuKa
December 14, 2003, 10:36 am
The lag has nothing to do with ram Todd..I know this cos i got 512 ram on mah pc, and I still lag most of the time, how many people you can hold on a server without lag really depends on the isp. The computer itself lagging only becomes and issue when you have 30 + people I'd say. And I'm sure styx has a pretty mighty computer.

DNA.styx
December 14, 2003, 10:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Bejayzus. That bloody server is always full!

Would it be possible to expand the amount allowed on the server without any dramatic increase in lag for both?More players means more bandwidth, while our server's on a 40Mb pipe, DNAGames is only given a finite free allocation of bandwidth, so unless you wanna pay, say ?1 month to play on our server I have to keep the max players to 10.

v1.2 have better bandwidth controls so I may be able to bring another 10 player server online without increasing the overall bandwidth used.

DNA.styx
December 14, 2003, 10:40 am
quote:Originally posted by SERIAL KILLeR
Why not make 2 servers.
Or will that lag to much?
Yea, two 10 person server is the way to go.
Perhaps with v1.2, one CTF the other DM/INF/etc

DNA.styx
December 14, 2003, 10:43 am
quote:Originally posted by El Toddissimo
Wouldn't the server's computer just need enough RAM? the specs. needed to run a dedicated server are much lower then when you are playing it. Anyhow our servers a 1.4Gb w/ 1Gb ram.

Element_101
December 14, 2003, 2:35 pm
Another reason to hang in there for 1.2..

AerialAssault
December 14, 2003, 6:56 pm
que¿

Element_101
December 16, 2003, 1:28 pm
With the new screen [:-censored]s releaced for 1.2 it gives us hope and meaning

to be here!