( search forums )
Loop-around maps.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Mechanoid
December 15, 2003, 2:39 am
Well, seeing as all the maps are left to right or right to left and then you have to turn around, why not have a map maker option of "looping" the map in and around itself on BOTH the X, AND the Y axis!

This way, you could create a bottomless pit, a endless plain, or a endless maze that loops around top to bottom and left to right! You keep running left and you'll end up where you were! Imagine the maddness of going up and up and up and eventually ending back where you started! Imagine the maddness of the M82's shot going around the map and killing a enemy with a knife that was about to kill you from behind! Imagine shooting a LAW upwards and having it blow up in someone's a**!!! [:D]

The best thing about it is that this only effects the map that the mapper wants it to effect, so maps dont have to be re-worked to accomidate this! As well, it would be interesting to play a wrap-around map where you wouldn't have to walk over the mountain to your left, but instead walk across the plain to your right to get to the enemy flag. It puts the "Which direction are they comming from?" aspect into Soldat which i think it's missing. (it IS a game about soldiers, is it not?)

opinions and suggestions?

-SPI-
December 15, 2003, 2:43 am
That would be both bizzare and nuts (possibly both, posssibly neither, probably stupid) Although I would like to see a pacman themed level. Ha ha ha.

n00bface
December 15, 2003, 2:47 am
I like the idea, but all the snipers would end up shooting themselves then getting mad at everything and blowing up their computer. Actually, that's a good thing. Bring this suggestion to 1.2.1!

El Toddissimo
December 15, 2003, 2:48 am
Great Idea In Teh Suggestion Boxor!

El Toddissimo
December 15, 2003, 2:53 am
Did I mention SHEER CHAOS

you're idea teh roxors

Mechanoid
December 15, 2003, 3:00 am
Hehehe. If this were implemented someone could make a map with low or no jet fuel yet still provide a way to get to the "top" of the map.[:D]

As well, you could make a map where there are only blocks, blocks, and more blocks all identical and all evenly spaced. You could then jump or fall to get to where you want, and because where you want is always "right there" you spend a minimal amount of time getting from "here" to "there"[;)]

CardBoardWarrior
December 15, 2003, 3:03 am
HAIL MECHANOID!!!
Can you guess if I like these ideas or not haha [:P]

Mechanoid
December 15, 2003, 6:08 am
>>if post rocks then find apropriate smilie

>searching
>>searching
>>>searching

>found
>>posting

[:-devil]

HC_ScubaSteve
December 16, 2003, 2:19 am
put this in!

100% support

-SPI-
December 16, 2003, 2:36 am
I'd like to see a map based off the old Asteroids, with rock shaped ploys and people flying past shooting, then coming past again. Hah ha

n00bface
December 16, 2003, 3:00 am
Oh yeah man, Michal should add a gravity setting like in Wolfenstein.. You can change the gravity to like 80 so you float and a jump takes you way high and takes you 10 seconds to reach the ground again [:P] And you could jet and keep floating through the whole 'loop-around' map..

...Just a dream [:(]

juice _ box
December 18, 2003, 1:13 am
lawl. nice idea :D

CardBoardWarrior
December 18, 2003, 1:16 am
Hey it was originally my idea to have grav options...no one liked the idea though.

n00bface
December 18, 2003, 1:36 am
Forum search times out, but if it didn't, I woulda looked up Gravity Options [:P]

Talon
December 18, 2003, 1:36 am
i think the gravity options thing might not have been good for just normal maps but it'd rock if the map could loop... i can see it now, some guy jumps up off of a floating island, flys upward off of the screen, then comes flying up from the bottom and cracks his head on the bottom of the island he just left, only to fall back down off of the screen and appear ABOVE the floating island again. talk about freakout, i like the idea :)

doffencom
December 20, 2003, 4:39 pm
The earth is round. Why not.

LiL_FuKa
December 20, 2003, 10:40 pm
Yes Yes Yes!.... No, I'm not having an orgasm.. I just like the idea a lot [:D]

sergioe16
December 22, 2003, 5:46 am
The idea of wrapping the map about the X axis is great!
However wrapping it vertivcally and having low gravity is too much, it will be just plain nuts to play a leven like that!

Mechanoid
December 22, 2003, 8:01 pm
though it should still be possible to do such a thing.

Maybe someone wants to make a map where you start at the top of a long vertical shaft and there are landing areas on either side, and you just drop down and down until you land on one. it'd be one kick-a$$ CTF map, thats for sure!