( search forums )
Is sniping cheap/dishonorable?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Anti-Commie
December 19, 2003, 3:41 pm
We all know that barret users get on some people's nerves. We also know that some of those people come here to whine about it like little girls and others jump all over the barret users in game. This is why: imagine that you have the AK. Lets say that you are going for the enemy's flag. after you narrowly escape being killed and wasting three of the guarding players, you rush to your prize. You grab the flag and turn around when BAM! You were sniped by someone who just sat there not ever having any risk of being shot. Irritating? You bet it is! Let me make it clear that I am not against snipers, however, instead i wanted to show you what it like if you were on the other end of the barret's scope. Sniping was a designed part of the game. The barret is great for defending your base enemies, and yes, it is very fun to shoot. Is it wrong and/or dishonorable to use it? No. In my opinion, if you are sick of barret users, then find a way to kill them. If you can't find a way, then use cover to shield yourself, or travel in large groups so they cant hit all of you. please don't whine though. But, that's just my opinion on sniping I want yours.

cup_of_squirrels
December 19, 2003, 3:44 pm
Its only annoying when people use em OVER and OVER again....

Anti-Commie
December 19, 2003, 4:03 pm
yeah

SoldatStriker
December 19, 2003, 4:05 pm
I really didn't the think the Barret was overpowered until I started beta testing. The new Barret is how the Barret should have always been; a sniping weapon, not a rail gun.

Meandor
December 19, 2003, 4:11 pm
We just needed another barret thread.
/me leaves to avoid being crushed by the masses of whiners

cup_of_squirrels
December 19, 2003, 4:13 pm
screw you then....

SuperKill
December 19, 2003, 4:20 pm
let the b!tches whine

Thresh
December 19, 2003, 4:41 pm
What's wrong with the Barret?

I don't use it myself, but it requires good aim since it has such slow reload, and it leaves you very exposed to danger if you miss on the first shot...

I'd sooner be annoyed at m79 whores than snipers. But then again the m79 has disadvantages too. All in all, I think everything is pretty balanced. Unless everyone has sniper guns, thats kind of annoying :D

n00bface
December 19, 2003, 4:52 pm
quote:
and it leaves you very exposed to danger if you miss on the first shot...

Only non-barret whores miss on the first shot...

btw Anti-Commie please change your font.. I had trouble reading that [:(]

BMF
December 19, 2003, 5:06 pm
Nice, another barret thread

remember i proposed that thing where people with under 50 posts should post in designated threads?

Thresh
December 19, 2003, 5:07 pm
What, you mean so they spam up designated threads? At least this way, all the newbish posts are dissipated around the entire forum, and not in a concentrated pile :P

AerialAssault
December 19, 2003, 6:14 pm
i agree wholeheartedly with you anti-commie

?
December 19, 2003, 6:54 pm
people will never stop whining cause they are to stupid to deal with the fact taht people like to use it, the fact is not if it takes skills to use it or not, besides the skill is in the WAY you shoot not if you kill in one shot, some poepl jsut think its fun to play with i guess whiners jsut dont' want people to have fun while playing games

El_Mariachi
December 19, 2003, 7:53 pm
Oh goddamnit!
Just for once I would like people to be able to listen to the arguments instead of go down a bunker, fortify whatever it is that they believe in, and then defend it, teeth and claw.
?, do u honestly believe that the only point of ppl whining about barretts is they dont want barrettusers to have a good time? I´d say that most ppl who whine about barrett just wants to have fun, and believe that the barrett is the major cause of soldat not being that much fun anymore, dont u think that sounds more reasonable?
The fact that the barrett is the most disputed weapon ever in soldat seems to be neglected by a fair amount of its lobbyists. Instead of calling those of us who oppose the barrett in its present form whiners (even those, like me, who dont really whine much), listen to what we have to say? I always try to listen to both sides, ive been a barrettuser myself, and i am aware of the subtle satisfaction that a shot in a flaggers head is. All I want is a nice, calm, intelligent discussion on why ppl are whining about the barrett, without ppl retorting to namecalling and flaming.

Of course, some of u might go all "but ure a member of 2Wai, U guys are teh whinorz, etc etc etc" on my ass. To u all I have to say is, 2Wai are not a singularity, this is me, Mariachi, not 2Wai, or chakra, or n2j3 trying to have a discussion. Some of them might join in, maybe we agree, maybe we dont...

/Mariachi

juice _ box
December 19, 2003, 9:10 pm
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAMSPAMSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM SPAMSPAM SPAMSPAM SPAMSPAM
SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAMSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAM SPAMSPAMSPAM SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM SPAM SPAMSPAM SPAM
SPAMSPA SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAMSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM
SPAMSPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM

ok so i wasted a half our sto mak an ascii spam, but when i posted it messed up. kthxbye

fabmanx
December 19, 2003, 11:40 pm
it is overpowered in a way that it can see farther then any gun, it IS NOT fair when you get shot by a sniper not even getting a chance to see him because he has a longer range...

TIR_Blade
December 20, 2003, 12:12 am
IMO, Snipers=Camping weapons not assault weapons, so stfu with camping and start complaining about the assaulting.

kkazican
December 20, 2003, 12:56 am
It is also very annoying when just when I think that the barret threads have stopped for a little while some little bitch has to start them up again asking if it is good or not AND NOW WE GOTTA SIT WHILE 20 MORE [:-censored]ING BARRET THREADS WILL FLOOD THE FORUMS BECAUSE YOU HAD TO START IT UP FOR NO REASON BUT TO PISS PEOPLE OFF!

Weed
December 20, 2003, 12:59 am
well, nice topic ;)

Anti-Stalin, i think xactly like u ;)
Trash, there aint such thing as a m79 whore, only other whores that cant handle a skilled m79er, so try harder instead of calling us whores!
mariachi, u love those topics :D

btw, if someone ever wants a good barret disscusion go to #2wai.soldat in quakenet :D

Captain_Jimbo
December 20, 2003, 1:05 am

The only thing that's annoying about that gun is that people don't even snipe anymore. They get 2 inches away from you and pop, you're dead. No skill in that. -

morpheus
December 20, 2003, 1:09 am
and if they're just 2 inches away, at least you had a chance to kill them, whereas if they're a screen away, you don't.

anyways, as far as it goes, i like being an m79 whore. whipping ass with the gun that has more cons than pros, and also the shortest range of all the guns gives me great satisfaction.

Dathker
December 20, 2003, 2:02 am
see..i don't have a problem killing snipers...its just when i tell them to stop... and they keep doing it, then i have to get the barret to get them back..and obviously i kill them and then they whine becuz im using the barret to kill them, and i told them not to use it...its just aht the fuc|<ing n00bs don't understand that i am just using it to kill them..
barret= overpowered= dessert eagles
i think that they should adjust it so that from for away it takes two shot kill

EvilLaugh
December 20, 2003, 2:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Thresh
What's wrong with the Barret?

I don't use it myself, but it requires good aim since it has such slow reload, and it leaves you very exposed to danger if you miss on the first shot...

THATS WHAT THE LAW/SOCOM/KNIFE IS FOR... ffs, the whole reason the barret is simply because its easy to use and doesn't require aim, just stick the cursor over the person you want to kill, make sure nothing is in the way and shoot.

The whole [:-censored]ing reason its uber lame now is because it can be accompanied with the LAW.

AerialAssault
December 20, 2003, 6:35 am
HATE LAW, it needs fire bar time like barret, not just reload, as a part time AKer, my only hope against a barreter is that they miss, but if they just whip out a LAW and kill me right then, im seriously pissed off.

El_Mariachi
December 20, 2003, 9:21 am
Everyone "whining" ;) about this being another barrett thread... well, obviously there is need for it, otherwise they wouldnt keep popping up all the time. Power to the people as it were.
And yes weed, I in a sense do love these kind of threads as they show that there are a lot of players out there who giva a damn about soldat. What I dont like is that they seldom lead anywhere.
Before I continue, I must say that im arguing from my point of view, a soldat player that plays 90% sctfl games, rest is m79 duels and some inf.
On the topic of LAW, I have to say that it is pretty darn good, I mean a flagger has to be pretty far from base not to get one in the neck, in sctfl, spawntimes are low, and the LAW doesnt reload at first, ergo, it is a bit too powerful. This statement of mine is of no importance now, but plz remember it when I make a point later.
The barrett is pretty much the best weapon around, all of u who use it can always argue that it has such a long reload etc. But then again, it is still very good, with the scope, the aim, the power etc. Evidence A is that it is the most used weapon in the game, and to be precise, the most used weapon by far.
I dont know if it is the fact that it is the weapon I most often get killed by, the characteristic metallic blast, the hovering guy from red team, the nearly inevitable death, that makes me pissed? Repeat * 30 on a bad day on DNA. And of course there are the campers too, but they are pretty harmless in my opinion, skilled barrettusers seldom camp. Now, I might have been harsh with a few barrettusers in the past, believe me when I say that it is nothing personal, I get annoyed by the way ppl dont want anything with the barrett. Imho something must happen to the barrett when it is so good that over 50% of the players use it. For the diversity of the game, if not, just release a new game called barrett 1.2 or Whiner 1.2, and these two "camps" will never have to agree.

But thats just plain silly, can we not agree on something, most on my side of the barrett dont want it deleted from the game, they just want it more balanced, where i get the feeling that many barrettusers would rather quit soldat than playing with a mdoified barrett. In the end I guess it is all up to michal tho.

/Mariachi

kevith
December 20, 2003, 12:53 pm
I agree with you Mariachi. When it comes down to it, usually when I complain about the barret it's bc 90% of the players on the server are using it and they keep popping my head off like a zit before I can even see them. It might just be me but it seems like every day there are more and more ppl using the barret. Since the barret is overused/overpowered I think that the gameplay of soldat has really suffered over the last few months and it's not as much fun. It all adds up to my only real true legitimate complaint: Soldat isn't as fun (for me at least) with the proliferation of the barret. From what I hear, 1.2 helps to level the playing field and I'll be VERY pleased when that happens.

?
December 20, 2003, 2:28 pm
well evilaugh it is not put your cursor over the person and shoot, you have to figure the distance and how high oyu have to aim over them for teh bullet to hit them in its arch, grant it 2 or 3 days and you can master it, but its not just put your cusor over them and click

Drama
December 20, 2003, 2:36 pm
barrets are avoidable, because of their slow reload, try to trick barretter to shot u while u are in almost impossible place to get shot

just an advice

El_Mariachi
December 20, 2003, 3:23 pm
Drama, im not saying that the barrett is unbeatable, I just think that it is wrong that one weapon is the reason for so much work. Tactics like "we have to go three ppl on one barrett, then they are easy" only further proves my opinion that the barrett is a little to good.
And please, all of u barrettusers, join in on the discussion, we need your opinions too.

merry christmas u all!

/Mariachi

AerialAssault
December 20, 2003, 5:13 pm
IMHO i think barret should only be used as means of defense in CTF games or infiltration. i hate barret assaulters becasue they are just takin advantage of the one shot kill and just pop u off front inches away. i have much more respect for snipers, who use the barret for what it was made for.

EvilLaugh
December 20, 2003, 5:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by ?
well evilaugh it is not put your cursor over the person and shoot, you have to figure the distance and how high oyu have to aim over them for teh bullet to hit them in its arch, grant it 2 or 3 days and you can master it, but its not just put your cusor over them and click

Uhhh, i think you will find it shoots exactly where the cursor is, it doesn't matter where they are, either close or not, you will find it will hit its target. I've tried and tested it

Aegis
December 20, 2003, 9:52 pm
The Barret doesn't shoot pure straight. It has a bullet arch just like every other gun in the game. I found this out about 4 seconds after trying it for the first time. The only way the bullet will go "straight to the cursor" is at very close range. Try going to Bunker and shooting across the entire level.

Sniping is a tactic, IRL people dont complain to the opposing army to stop picking them off because they are too stupid to get behind some cover and look for the people shooting at them. If you think for a minute, there are plenty of ways of killing snipers without having your head shot off. (M79s are pretty effective IMO)

?
December 20, 2003, 10:37 pm
mariachi i am a barret user, and evillaugh you are an idiot to say it shoots straight, and the best way to kill a sniper is not to snipe him out, nades and m79 are all thats needed, sometimes you don't need a nade at all, the way you move in teh map with greatly affect your chances of killing a sniper

El_Mariachi
December 20, 2003, 10:56 pm
?, I never said u were not a sniper, did I? Btw, I agree with u on the best counter vs a sniper isnt sniping back. Actually, a prone sniper, espescially a newb one are pretty much dead meat if he misses a shot, and of course, if he misses the mandatory law. And there are plenty of ways to kill a sniper, its just that none are very effective. I still dont think it is alright that one weapon is the cause of so much tactics.
/Mariachi

?
December 20, 2003, 11:56 pm
you dont' need "tactics" to kill a sniper, all you have to do is not move prodictable adn not miss your shot

EvilLaugh
December 21, 2003, 3:25 am
mariachi i am a barret user, and evillaugh you are an idiot to say it shoots straight, and the best way to kill a sniper is not to snipe him out, nades and m79 are all thats needed, sometimes you don't need a nade at all, the way you move in teh map with greatly affect your chances of killing a sniper

OMFG IT HAS THE ARC OF ABOUT A MILLIMETER ON THE SCREEN

IT STILL HITS THE [:-censored]ING THE CROSS HAIR FROM NO MATTER HOW FAR ON THE SCREEN IT IS OR HOW CLOSE TO YOU IT IS YOU DOLT.

Weed
December 21, 2003, 4:23 am
the best ppl to give u advices on how to beat a barret are guys that are very good with it and also use another wep, like m79.
? uses both of them, and he knows how to counter each one of them.
and he aint the only one that does, but he is the only one that posted here so i take him as an example.

Element_101
December 21, 2003, 10:29 am
The barret has its good points and its bad points. People will neevr stop

flaming the barret while its in this state its just that kind of gun..

eyic
December 21, 2003, 10:47 am
quote:Originally posted by EvilLaugh

OMFG IT HAS THE ARC OF ABOUT A MILLIMETER ON THE SCREEN

IT STILL HITS THE [:-censored]ING THE CROSS HAIR FROM NO MATTER HOW FAR ON THE SCREEN IT IS OR HOW CLOSE TO YOU IT IS YOU DOLT.

EvilLaugh is right, One Gram your very wrong lol, if I point at somone and lick one at somone with the barret they are dead, its as simple as that, you dont need to time any crap, the barrets bullet is very fast jsut shoot it and it woulda hit the enemy in a few milliseconds, the barret is point and click once, and people cant admit it... EvilLaugh is correct about the barret, and no it doesnt take 1-2 days to get used to, it doesnt even take time to get used to, just point and click :)

frogboy
December 21, 2003, 10:51 am
In a short answer, yes. However, I pwned a server of barretards with my AK today. 50 or 60 kills before Wrong Map Bug shot in.

El_Mariachi
December 21, 2003, 11:00 am
?, I dont doubt your ability to take a sniper out, as i said, it isnt impossible, but it isnt easy either. Of course u can argue, that it is really that easy, but then I would say, well ?, ure one helluva skilled player, unfortunately, most players find it hard to take a sniper out, and by most I mean a vast majority.
/Mariachi

Blizk
December 22, 2003, 8:29 am
Mariachi is right, pretty many players can't locate the snipers even if they miss the first shot. On a map like CTF_Laos it IS sometimes hard due the amount of high grass. Usually the barret sticks out somewhere though.

I'm myself a barret user. I haven't met many annoyed people but sometimes they really get annoyed (mostly they who have a nick something like "Snipers are gay" [excuse my language]). Especially in CTF my long quick-shot ability comes very handy in open areas and gets escaping flag carriers annoyed :)

Barret is mostly a sniping weapon, but if you train enough it's handy in closer combat, even if you're just passing by an opponent.

Element_101
December 22, 2003, 9:20 am
^ ture

Anti-Commie
December 22, 2003, 7:24 pm
Holy crap!! You people!! Almost all of the responses I got were from whiners, newbs, and whiners who whine about whiners! i could tell that some of you did not even read the whole article. All I was trying to do was start an intelligent collection of opinions on the barret, which i state again is OK to use. What i got instead was a fire fight and a small section on whether or not the barret has an arch (which it does). I dont mind people disagreeing, I do mind people who whine incessantly. btw [:-bigmouth] THIS IS NOT AN ANTIBARRET THREAD IT IS A COLLECTION OF OPNIONS!!!!!!!

eyic
December 22, 2003, 9:51 pm
the barret only has a slight arch but if you point and click at somone it'll still get them, because its normally in close range...

?
December 22, 2003, 10:12 pm
yes but it does affect aiming, its not like amilimeter or anything its a fair sized arch

Weed
December 23, 2003, 2:20 am
why u all care bout this stuff after u all heard that the barret will be crap in 1.2?
for real, its hard? its easy? no one cares, the thing is that whining, and making threads bout how hard is to beat the barret is out of fashion, i mean, for real, this aint the first "anti-barret" thread, i've seen more than 50 of those topics.
so once and for all, stop whining till 1.2 comes out and than start whining bout the next really powerfull wep.

morpheus
December 23, 2003, 2:59 am
i just wonder what the "new" top gun will be in 1.2

frogboy
December 23, 2003, 5:04 am
Minigun pwns barret, probably in 1.2 more so.

Element_101
December 23, 2003, 11:33 am
It will be M79!!

eyic
December 23, 2003, 11:41 am
imho 1.2's weapon balance sucks, nothing to look forward to.....

Element_101
December 23, 2003, 11:48 am
quote:Originally posted by eyic
imho 1.2's weapon balance sucks, nothing to look forward to.....

[:(]

?
December 23, 2003, 3:20 pm
im jsut glad i use m79 mostly =P

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 9:52 am
my idea of cheap is when someone ties u to a chair and the lite cigars and burn ur nipples and kik u in the groin.

frogboy
December 24, 2003, 10:09 am
I was just in Utamaro, and apart from the fact no-one was listning to my "FIX THE DAMN TEAMS!", O kept saying "look at me, i can point and click. im so special" whenever a barretard shot me. In five minutes, I'd posted that four or five times. It's pathetic.

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 10:24 am
moo

?
December 24, 2003, 3:48 pm
listen guys, this argument will get nowhere because everyone is trying to change another persons mind and not being open minded, therefore this crap should go to the bash pit

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 8:05 pm
oh yea i have a dead squirel!

liquidis x snake
December 24, 2003, 8:20 pm
I say any topic from now on with "Barret" in the title should be deleted. They tend to be useless and provoke ignorance, and in the end people just end up where they started, hating the Barret and complaining or loving the Barret and complaining.

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 8:41 pm
dude take a chill pill here take on of mine

frogboy
December 24, 2003, 9:04 pm
LxS- It doesn't have Barret in the title. Don't believe me? Look at the title bar- "Is sniping cheap/dishonorable?"

liquidis x snake
December 24, 2003, 9:08 pm
Well damn. This shouldnt be deleted because it has my great post above. So yes, it all works I. I r winnar.

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 9:15 pm
this thread is all over the place

frogboy
December 24, 2003, 9:37 pm
30 posts a day ain't healthy.

Sniping is cheap, whats the point of attacking if you're going to be shot 3 screens away from the enemy base?

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 9:43 pm
lol yea u walk a step and ur head goes across the screen

?
December 24, 2003, 9:44 pm
liek i said before, this argument is going nowhere, just drop it yall

Sithak
December 24, 2003, 9:46 pm
sorry god :S i have a 30 inch toe nail

Element_101
December 25, 2003, 1:48 pm
30 posts a day omg!

El_Mariachi
December 25, 2003, 2:10 pm
?, im afraid you are right concerning the fact that this post goes nowhere, as does soldat, hopefully the discussions on the betatesters forum are a bit more fruitful. One can only hope that Michal tries to get both sides of the story and that there are a few able minds who are willing to try and acually make some progress in this situation.

/Mariachi

toadsMoke
December 25, 2003, 4:41 pm
get this thread back on topic or it'll be locked.

p.s. Merry Christmas =P

juice _ box
December 25, 2003, 5:15 pm
Lol @ teh toadsmoke.

No problem with sniping. If you can't handle it your a pussy and should go back to playing neopets.