( search forums )
Map download
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Bubba
December 25, 2003, 9:05 pm
Perhaps there should be a map download feature that downloads a map that you are going to play(if you dont have it) as you log on to a server

macce
December 25, 2003, 9:46 pm
Not a very good idea. Modemers would probably not like it and then there's the prob about scenery-gfx and textures, how they would be made end up in right folders.

liquidis x snake
December 25, 2003, 9:50 pm
It's been suggested before, and it would be a great addition. The only problem is, it would make Soldat laggier than it already is. I suggest an individial server to host maps.

Hitman
December 25, 2003, 9:50 pm
quote:then there's the prob about scenery-gfx and textures, how they would be made end up in right foldersVery good point!

Liber_Lupus
December 25, 2003, 10:11 pm
lol, it will be dl'd too

Hitman
December 25, 2003, 11:28 pm
But for people with slower connections, that would take a long time!

juice _ box
December 25, 2003, 11:53 pm
well people with 56k should be shot in the first place. Great idea.

Hitman
December 26, 2003, 12:04 am
But wouldn't it be really complicated to download the scenery and textures from other peoples scenery and textures folders?

juice _ box
December 26, 2003, 12:16 am
Seperate folders for each map. If you don't want to take up space on your computer with a bunch of folders and extra bmp's... your a retard. This whole thing is completey simple, just like in TFC when you dont have a map it automaticly downloads off the server and places it in the tfc folder, if soldat were to have a map downloading system each map would go into its designated folder ect. If you dont want people downloading your map and lagging up your server, use a password.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
December 26, 2003, 12:56 am
it doesnt take that long for me to dload a map and i have 56k...they will jus have to deal..and its not that hard to program the scenery to the scenery folder and the maps to the map folder and the textures to the texture folder...not at all.

Target Practice
December 26, 2003, 1:16 am
This idea was implemented in RA2 and Warcraft 3 perfectly....

Maps there are frigging complex alone with all the triggers and stuff..

It would be VERY simple to have map dl in this game considering its simplicity

Aegis
December 26, 2003, 3:09 am
Yes, both Starcraft and Warcraft 3 have good map downloading... but their maps don't include new scenery and go by tilesets, which means they dont have a billion vertex coordinates from polygons.. also I would imagine they are compressed, because their map formats are different forms of .MPQs.

systemfeind
December 26, 2003, 3:10 am
but it would make rented server more expensive coz of higher bandwidth use and lag would improve a bit. i like the idea of a central server with the most known custom maps on it where u can download'em

eyic
December 26, 2003, 3:54 am
this idea wouldnt work too well, but i support it, anyways the reason it wouldnt work is because what if u were downloading a map with sceenery named the same as one of another map u have, then everything will get stuffed, and you'll get scenery errors.. etc..

juice _ box
December 26, 2003, 4:25 am
Thats why I said "Differnt folders for each map"

systemfeind
December 26, 2003, 6:21 am
hmm same problem in cs
solution: overwrite the file which already exists
better solution: different folders ^^ thx juice