( search forums )
A better Official MapMaker
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
liquidis x snake
December 29, 2003, 5:59 pm
Alright, I'll just get right to the point. The Official MapMaker is damned bugged and it sucks.

Theres so many bugs in the damned thing such as disappearing polys, polys that you cant delete, polys that deform into a different triangle and are undeletable.

Sometimes the MapMaker screen turns black, and everything I had worked up to that point is no longer accessible. Teh suk.

Also to complain about is the horrible waypoint system. A measly two paths?! What if you just want one team to go one direction?! Nope, they tend to switch over and follow the other path's waypoints.

So I suggest a few improvements:
-More than one path for bots.
-The Undo button works more than once (not just your last one, but the one before it and the one before that and so on)
-The ability to expand or decrease the size of the MapMaker. I hate having a fixed width and height.
-The ability to use more than one texture. Imagine the possibilities.
-Fix random bugs like the ones stated above.
-When you load a new map or exit MapMaker, there should be a Warning that pops up and asks "Do you wish to save current map?" I can't believe how many times I lost a good map because of a damned accidental click.
-Seeing how the background color mix would be like without actually compiling the map.
-Fix the help menu. Some of the information is wrong.
-A wireframe mode that gives you the choice of whether to view scenery also or not to.
-The ability to have Polygons behind players.
-To build on the bot path, the ability to create different waypoints for different teams, such as a Waypoint set for Red, Blue, etc.
-Scenery editing such as editing already placed scenery, rotating, and moving.

There are probably other things about the mapmaker that I can complain about, but can't think of any at the moment. If either you guys or I myself do, I'll be sure to edit.

Anyone agree and support?

juice _ box
December 29, 2003, 6:05 pm
I would also love to have polys behind your soldat apose to always infront.

LiL_FuKa
December 29, 2003, 6:09 pm
I completely agree

bLaStEr
December 29, 2003, 6:49 pm
This is a must :)

FOR THE FUTURE OF SOLDAT!!!

sauron_the_deceiver
December 29, 2003, 7:16 pm
BEHIND POLYGONS! I've been whining for these for months!

mikaelgg50
December 29, 2003, 7:31 pm
think of all the maps that will be so much better =D
Its simple great...

y0da
December 29, 2003, 7:32 pm
uhhhh... the scenerys could have more edition options, such as picking it up to some else point, "rolling it" (you know, 1o-360o) etc.

Hercule Poirot
December 29, 2003, 7:59 pm
agreed almost all of those what you writed i haven't made any map on about 2 months got bored it we need more functions

eyic
December 30, 2003, 12:47 am
agreed with all LxS said :D

Alpha
December 30, 2003, 1:00 am
Totally Agree

Chakra
December 30, 2003, 1:47 am
How about michal allows the making of third party map makers? ...not that any of us know how to make one...but some schmuck needing a college project probably will.

DeafBox
December 30, 2003, 6:23 am
I gave up on making maps cos of the bugs made it so annoying that i cbf restarting all the time. So yeah i agree.

liquidis x snake
December 30, 2003, 6:27 am
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
How about michal allows the making of third party map makers? ...not that any of us know how to make one...but some schmuck needing a college project probably will.

Actually, he doesn't have to allow it. There ARE several 3rd-party MapMakers, such as the MapMakerPro (I think?) at selfkill.de. These, however, do lack some of the stuff I mentioned.

Meandor
December 30, 2003, 12:03 pm
Yes, there was indeed the map maker pro by Meitzi, but it was for 1.05b and Meitzi has retired from soldat and won't update it. You can still do some nice tricks wih it that can't be done with the current, but you'll need to comnvert them though.

sauron_the_deceiver
December 30, 2003, 12:06 pm
Mmmm, Meitzis map maker was teh sh!t...

NuZZ
December 30, 2003, 12:24 pm
Behind polygons, are you guys NUTS!
IM THE ONE WHO HAS BEEN ON ABOUT THSI FROM DAY 1!
Pretty please Michal :)
JUST TRY!

y0da
December 30, 2003, 2:00 pm
ok, i've got ideas for InterfaceMaker!
*y0da leaves and goes make a new topic named "A better Official InterfaceMaker"*

juice _ box
December 30, 2003, 7:43 pm
Will there be a 1.2 map editor?