( search forums )
Linux/FreeBSD Support for the actual Game
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Neo-Vortex
January 27, 2004, 3:23 am
It'd be good to beable to actually run the game in FreeBSD or Linux instead of just the server... :P

n00bface
January 27, 2004, 3:29 am
Read the Soldat FAQ :D Anyways, some people have managed to play Soldat with Wine (If you use Linux, you should try it!). I haven't been able to get it to work on Wine, and I don't wanna pay money (or compile) WineX.

Neo-Vortex
January 27, 2004, 3:35 am
Small Problem... its not in english...

Also, ive tried it with Wine... didnt work :(
Im gonna try WineX and mabe CXOffice (CXOffice is more compatible than both Wine and WineX but costs money aswell...)

cyborg
February 10, 2004, 4:45 pm
I tried it with WineX 3.2 and CXOffice 2.1
Since it is using DirectX, CXOffice is useless to use.

It runs well with the official (free) wine, but there are two bugs:
1st of all, it is always displayed in 640x480, which is quite small. I dont know, if the game supports higher resolutions at all

2nd, the game seems to load in polish ALWAYS, dont know why. I looked through INI-Files and Reg-settings, you cant really adjust the language. Maybe if I could determine how the language is loaded or chosen in the exe file, I could change that.

Wine has its problems if internal calls use Case sensitive filenames. Maybe in the sourcecode a file is loaded (e.g. "English" instead of file "english") and thats why the polish version is shown.

However, I try to determine how language is selected and try to fix it, I hope a developer will answer on this question.

Playing Soldat under Linux would be VERY fine.

I work very often with Delphi Programs (I am a Delphi Programmer too) under linux/wine and normally they work pretty well.

b00stA
February 10, 2004, 4:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by cyborg

1st of all, it is always displayed in 640x480, which is quite small. I dont know, if the game supports higher resolutions at all
Soldat's resolution is 640*480, you can't change it. It's 640*480 for everybody.
quote:Originally posted by cyborg
2nd, the game seems to load in polish ALWAYS, dont know why. I looked through INI-Files and Reg-settings, you cant really adjust the language. Maybe if I could determine how the language is loaded or chosen in the exe file, I could change that.
Open the 'config.exe' in your Soldat directory, goto 'More' and choose a language :)

Soldat working on Linux Systems

Seidi
February 10, 2004, 10:07 pm
A native linux version of Soldat would be pretty cool!