( search forums )
3d Studio Max
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
i am ahab
June 26, 2004, 4:58 pm
hey all.
can i ask if anyone has any experience with 3d studio max, in particular with the sdk extension creator with a view to Directx 9 implementation. just a thought my friend had as 3dsm is capable of emulating environments + add a network protocol (had a look at rakkarsoft: http://www.rakkarsoft.com/ as its open source and seems well supported) + DirectX (DirectInput DirectSound etc) = game! hooray!
cheers.

BManx2000
June 26, 2004, 11:06 pm
Umm err
:confused:
What does this have to do with soldat?

i am ahab
August 13, 2004, 12:05 pm
wellllll in multiplayer soldat is just essentially a polygon map with some animated sprites that respond to network packets to jump around and fire. add a physics engine in the form of a server doing some math with all the tcp packets it gets as input from the players and some directx on the clients side and u get michaels cool game. [:D]
ppl whinge about lots of things and a thought a few of my friends had was porting the engine into a *very* slimmed down version of 3dsm (which u can write yr own plugins for) and maintaining the 2d side view. so stuff could explode into the foreground and background. so while the game is taking place in a 3d environment player movement is limited still to 2 dimensions, maybe expanding gameplay possibilites. f*** knows what, couldnt be bothered to think it through :)
yeah itd change the game from what it is, and the reason we like it is cos of the way it is, but it was just a thought.
but no1 could be arsed to put the effort in so the idea sort of died. [:o)]

Deleted User
August 13, 2004, 12:33 pm
If this would support geographical positioning and parallax scrolling, I would like to see it done. However, if Michal used 3dsm, he would have to pay the company royalties from the registration fees.

i am ahab
September 6, 2004, 8:17 am
thats very true dude....
good point i hadnt really thought about any legalities of it. im currently looking into SDL = multi os graphical output . . .[:-magnify]
well as and when i can be arsed anyway [;)]