( search forums )
Make DNA Map Pack Official
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
DeafBox
July 27, 2004, 3:07 am
This spawned out of the "remove ctf" discussion and kev suggested that it should have its own thread, so here it is!!!
wooooo!!!!!!!

Firstly for those newer players DNA in partnership with some leet mappers have put out 2 map packs.

INF
http://www.turrino.com/soldat/INFmp.zip

CTF
www.soldatworld.com/maps.exe

(pretty sure the links are still good)

The idea is that these map packs which are only really used in private matches would make a great addition to the new version. I personally prefer the CTF pack. I think its a tighter mix of maps with no filler. The INF is still great but (IMO) does need a touch up.

It was raised that the maps arent botted, and that is a problem. I couldnt do it... and alot of the good mappers have left. (rambo, nuzz (groan), M?, enjoy). So either Michal would have to step up to the plate or some of the newer mappers could give it a crack.

Im not actually sure who made em... i know enjoy was involved in the CTF one so his permission would need to be sort if anyone wanted to give it ago.

So please post in here with ur support or disagreement to this idea and then i'll pm it to Mike.

TigerDragon
July 27, 2004, 5:41 am
its a good idea but y dont in the new version the server uploads maps.

kevith
July 27, 2004, 6:23 am
As if it weren't obvious to anyone who read the other thread, I really like this idea.

Yes, it has been suggested a few times in the past, but I don't think it's ever really had its own thread where we could see what people think of this idea. It is especially convenient to discuss now since b00stA gave us the ability to vote on suggestions here.

For anybody who is newer and doesn't know what we're talking about, there used to be a passworded server hosted by DNAGames that was one of the few places where you could play noob-free from time to time. Styx enlisted the help of Enjoy (he was the mapping moderator before Rambo_6, who was the map-mod before current mod grand_diablo) to put together an "official" map pack of some of the best member-made maps. These maps were then inserted into the map rotation on the DNAGames server. The server later had to be discontinued because of bandwidth issues, which seemed to effectively kill the use of these great maps. (You can read about it here.)

This would be an especially good move for maintaining the popularity of Soldat among people that have been becoming more bored with the game (as evidenced by a few recent threads).

If you haven't played any of these maps, download the map pack and try it out. They are not waypointed, but you can at least mess around on them a little bit or get a small group to play together to try it out.

bucky_brad
July 27, 2004, 6:55 am
yeh this is a great idea.

sergioe16
July 28, 2004, 1:23 am
Yeah ship those maps along with the default soldat install, or add a link to the map pack in the download section.

Deleted User
July 28, 2004, 10:44 am
Only if they are fixed up with working bot waypoints.

Kazuki
July 28, 2004, 3:13 pm
Yeah, because otherwise, those who can't really play online won't be able to use the maps well. Still, it's a very nice idea. I'd like to see B3b and similar maps be part of the normal map rotation.

Sekushi
July 28, 2004, 4:48 pm
I'm all for it

Famine
July 28, 2004, 4:59 pm
Haven't we been saying this? I mean I thought some agree that if Mike just put out new maps we wouldn't need as many new ver.

Michal
July 28, 2004, 8:30 pm
Yes, more (good) maps will improve my gaming experience.

DeepII
July 28, 2004, 10:41 pm
If the maps fit to the other Soldat-maps (haven't tried out the new ones yet) it would be great to add them into Soldat! But Michal has to fix all Map-Bugs (if there are map-bugs) and add Bot-Waypoints.

sergioe16
July 28, 2004, 10:49 pm
Maybe people who know about how to do bot waypoints could take do it themselves and send the fixed maps to Michal? This way we can split the load of fixing the maps between 3-4 people and have them ready before 1.3 comes out? Just be sure t o give credit to the orignal map maker and those who added the wayspoints.

DeepII
July 28, 2004, 10:52 pm
It's easy to make Waypoints with the MapMaker. But the thing is: Michal's maps have always the best waypoints!

sergioe16
July 29, 2004, 2:39 am
We dont need perfect waypoints, what we really need are more maps that everyone can play public servers.

Element_101
July 29, 2004, 10:40 am
Thats great...

DeafBox
July 30, 2004, 1:30 am
The reason for the waypoints is that not having them included probably means that the pack isnt good enough to be include with the actual game.
Unless the maps were listed as "online only" or "multi only" it might be annoying for the new players who just want to play with bots.

Meandor
August 1, 2004, 3:58 pm
Most of them have a lot of fixing up to do first. Also, such suggestion have never been considered.. so it's more likely we'll just get a few more maps by Michal.

AerialAssault
August 1, 2004, 6:43 pm
the game needs more maps in general, for every game mode

Yin_Starrunner
August 3, 2004, 1:19 am
especially inf w00t w00t