( search forums )
one on one!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
August 31, 2004, 2:10 am
if ne of u play star wars (jedi knight II outcast) u'd no wat im talking about...it'd b nice if u could "challenge" a person for a one on one fight where noone interfers...i dunno exactlhy how but like invite a person to a one on one fight and fiight in the middle of the crowd somewher in the map - not being affect by neone else so its totally fair - and at the end of the fight after someone died they both respawn in the game (esp. good in ctf maps or in inf so noone can run to the other's flag or w.e)

Hitman
August 31, 2004, 2:14 am
I don't know, I kinda like this idea. Certainly would stop the people who challenge somebody to a duel, tell them to meet them in server such and such, that somebody leaves, and then the challenger doesn't live up to it.

Actually, I love this idea.

Duke33
August 31, 2004, 2:23 am
Do you mean a special spot on a map where you could go and duel? Sounds like a pretty cool idea, but I don't know how it would work. You couldn't press a button and put up a forcefield or soemthing. So, nice concept, but I don't see how it would work. Give us some more details.

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 31, 2004, 2:27 am
In JKII, the 2 who are dueling would have some sort of inviniblity shield thing around them, so they would only take damage from their enemy dueler.

JuiceBox
August 31, 2004, 2:37 am
and loser gets kicked!

Hitman
August 31, 2004, 3:06 am
Yes, that's great too.

No, they wouldn't have to go to a particular place (maybe), but the two duellers would be marked out, like their colours enhanced, so they spot each other easier. We don't need a force field or crap like that, just make it so that they won't be affected by anything anybody else does. Infact, for the duellers, make it so that everything else going on, is in the background for them.

You could even have an announcement, like a message (Where the killed messages are, etc), when somebody has accepted someone's challenge...and then a message announcing the winner..

Or to enhance it even more, whoever wins, that person's team gets a cap point. Should be an option between getting kicked and getting a Cap point though..

Imo, this is the best idea that has come up in a long time.

Arsenic
August 31, 2004, 3:17 am
Great idea! But maybe there would only be one challenge per game or something like that. I guess it could be an option for how many duels per game.

peemonkey
August 31, 2004, 4:57 am
hitman's post gives ma an idea with 2 teams each putting out who they think is best, and fighting the other team's best. there'ed be some rotation thing, and maybe groups of 2 and other stuff that will never be implemented but fun to imagine! yay!

Duke33
August 31, 2004, 6:13 am
Hitman, I like your idea, or part of it. So, you're saying that once the challlenge has been accepted, the two are still in the same map, but they can't be harmed by anyone else, nor harm anyone else, and not be able to capture the flag. Just fight each other, til one dies. Perhaps their shirts would change to a specific colour that would indicate a duel.

Maybe the winner gets 2 points instead of 1 or something. Not a cap for their team - that's too much.

Good idea!!

Element_101
August 31, 2004, 9:10 am
Wow I dont usually like ideas that differ from the typical soldat sterotype, but this idea is the exception.

DeMonIc
August 31, 2004, 10:15 am
Yes!
This idea rules, I would love to have it implemented, especcially with the things Hitman added.
I concur.Hardcore.

KnOt
August 31, 2004, 10:51 am
I love this. But then they should become invisible to everyone else while they're dueling? Cos they'd just be a distraction.. either that or they go to a special place on the map ( get teleported there, like someone else said)

MJPZX2
August 31, 2004, 11:55 am
I like the special place on the map idea. E.G. it could most often be the roof. like the top of b2b but if the are dueling the roof doesnt harm them. Same for the roof of volland. Also maybe when they are up there the roof could change from slowly making the person lose health like it does now to if anyone (except the 2 duelers) touch it then they die instantly. This only happens when there is a duel though.

Maybe to start the duel there could be a command /duel (number of player who you are going to duel or there name if you wish)
Then you get teleported to the "special" part of the level. Levels wouldn't even need to be changed to include this area they are already there.

Alternitively it could be on the escape menu. Where it says vote kick, vote map, exit and change team.

Hitman
August 31, 2004, 12:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Duke33
Hitman, I like your idea, or part of it. So, you're saying that once the challlenge has been accepted, the two are still in the same map, but they can't be harmed by anyone else, nor harm anyone else, and not be able to capture the flag. Just fight each other, til one dies. Perhaps their shirts would change to a specific colour that would indicate a duel.

Maybe the winner gets 2 points instead of 1 or something. Not a cap for their team - that's too much.

Good idea!!
Yup, that's what I meant. Yeah, a cap is a bit to much. Maybe they shouldn't only die once, you know, like best out of 3 maybe and for a slightly larget about of points, cause then nobody's gonna bother with duels, they'd just go out and kill two people in a row..quote:I love this. But then they should become invisible to everyone else while they're dueling? Cos they'd just be a distraction.. either that or they go to a special place on the map ( get teleported there, like someone else said)No, no, that's the whole point in being able to duel in the same map. I'd like it would be cool to see two people battle it out while everybody else is fighting to get the flag. The duellers should be able to use the whole map. However, maybe for the other players, the duellers would be in the background for them, just like I said with the Duellers..

Shyo
August 31, 2004, 2:31 pm
you know, if this gets implemented, there WILL duel servers spread :)

and sure I love this

it should be exactly like in the Jedi Knight games...

you press, like, J, while you focus the other one, and he can accept or decline(accept with the duel button, decline with an other). now they get invincibile to the other players, and if one dies, an announcement comes up and both respawn. thats the best way IMO.

yeah and they get some special color, like a white aura or sth.

papasurf31
August 31, 2004, 3:35 pm
How bout this? To the 2 players dueling, all the other players appear semi-transperant, kinda faded away, so that it would be easier to identify each other. To everyone else, the 2 dueling players would appear semi-transparent so others wouldn't waste shots trying to killl 'em.

I have a few questions though. Should there be a limit to how many duels are occuring at one time? I'd hate to join a server where everyones else is dueling and I can't get a kill cause they're all invincible to me. Duel could also be exploited in survival mode because 2 players could continuously
accept each others duels and not fight each other, making them theoretically invincible to everyone else. Then, when everyone else is dead, one of them just commits suicide so the other one can always win, constantly. How is that gonna be solved? And how exactly do you challenge someone to a duel? Do you use a console command? Is it something during the respawn period? What?

DT
August 31, 2004, 3:43 pm
Cap point? nah... mabye like having to respawn longer and the winer gets 2-5 points mabye

brickman
August 31, 2004, 10:41 pm
Thats great. That guy just rocketed past me towards my flag, I'll never catch him, Oh I KNOW! I'll challenge him to a duel so he can't grab the flag and score against us. After all, we only need another ten seconds to win this inf map.
Or: hmm, 5 guys at the base, OF COURSE! I'll challenge on so that the others can't hurt me while I grab the flag!
And if you add in options to decline, this cumbersome idea becomes moreso.
Save duels for 2 person servers, and if you want to watch one use spectator.

Jaz
August 31, 2004, 11:04 pm
Its a new idea and a nice one. 1 duel at a time would be best. 3 points for a win and an announcement like Jaz won teh jool ! :P
Nice idea.

Btw i dont like how someone makes an idea, someone changes it a tiny bit and all of a sudden its there idea now. Ok bai.

Duke33
September 1, 2004, 2:05 am
quote:Originally posted by brickman
Thats great. That guy just rocketed past me towards my flag, I'll never catch him, Oh I KNOW! I'll challenge him to a duel so he can't grab the flag and score against us. After all, we only need another ten seconds to win this inf map.
Or: hmm, 5 guys at the base, OF COURSE! I'll challenge on so that the others can't hurt me while I grab the flag!
And if you add in options to decline, this cumbersome idea becomes moreso.

For your 2nd scenario, we've decided that when dueling you can't capture the flag. For your 1st scenario, good point. Remember, though, that a person doesn't have to accept a challenge. So the carrier could just ignore it. Or, we could make it so you can't challenge a flag bearer.

The other point brought up is one that's bothering me. How can you set this up without it becoming cumbersome? You can't have a big window come up in the middle of the screen. I think we can set this up two ways:
1. Have a command /duel [name]. A notice would come up at the top of the person's screen, and they could accept or decline - but it wouldn't take up too much space.
2. Have, in the f1 menu, a space along a person's name where you can choose to challenge. The same small notice would come up at the top of their screen

Problem with 1 is some names are too long. So I'm for 2. Thoughts?

zyxstand
September 1, 2004, 2:45 am
Original poster:

all good points but to solve some of ur problems lemme explain very detailed:

first of all, i think tat the new version should have player numbers added next to each player so they r easier to identify
next, the challenger should type "/duel 6" for example and a relatively big notice should appear on the other person's screen perhaps in a different color to stick out as a duel challenge - then to accept the chalenge the person could type "/accept" and now it begins:

- the 2 ppl should have like a neon bright greenish (or w.e) color around them so tat everyone on the map can see them
- all things tat were able to originally harm them should not do ne damage (such as spikes or harmful polygons)
- other players should appear semi-transparent to the duellers and (like to other players) the enemy dueller should also appear bright green to prevent them from cheaply camping
- to regular ppl, the duellers should not b semi-transparent so tat they can watch the duel (and maybe (but i dun think so) they could "/watch duel 2" so they can see without taking damage)
- after someone dies it should announce the winner and the loser on everyone's screen in big letters at the top so tat in case the duel was really personal and ppl would def. wanna no the winner to honor the winner and to unhonor the loser (lol)
- also, after the match the duelers (and (if) the watchers) should respawn as if they have just died but wihtout gaining a deathpoint
- if (in ne level) u could easily get out of bounce and die from tat, the virtual walls/boundaries should b kinda given a slight tint to mark them so that they no tats the end but if they do touch it it should act just like a wall and m79's explode on them or bullets stop ther
- i was jsut thinknig about whether they should b allowed to use only certain guns (cuz some might b cheap) and i say let them b able to get all weapons (excpet MAYBE baret cuz tats too pathetic or even m79)
and winner gets 2 (maybe even 3) points for killing him and loser might : lose a kill point in death/point/rambo-match : or lose his team a point in teammatch : and for inf i think it should only lose his team one point (which rly wouldn't make ne diff (Except for red team cuz then they;l get like 89 points instead of 90 and still need another cap to win) or just lose a kill point -- but if kill points is 0 then they can get - points (and add 1 2 or even 3 points to deaths stats)

im leaving some things open for arguement but i thnk tats pretty good right there ; )

Michal
September 2, 2004, 10:55 pm
I wouldn't want this to interfere with ctf or inf, so maybe there should be a new Dueling game mode (could replace pointmatch). When Player A challenges Player B, and B accepts, After the current game finishes Player A has a dueling server automaticly set up (named A vs B) and both players join it. The player limit would be 2 so no-one else can join. The respawning rules mentioned are kind of like in my proposed game mode: "war"([URL]) And there could be specific dueling maps made, maybe some "wild west" style maps. [:D] I like this idea, it would make 1 on 1 games way better.

kevith
September 2, 2004, 11:50 pm
Well, I'm going to be the rebel and come down on the side of "no" on this one (and I seem to be the first and only one). I don't really like the idea of people playing a DM with each other in the middle of my CTF (whether they interfere or not). While it could be an interesting feature, I feel that if you want to duel you should quit taking up player slots in the ctf server and make your own 1 v 1 DM.

Maybe I could go for this if there were pretty strict limits on the number of duels and how often they could happen. Perhaps after a challenge were accepted, you could let everyone vote on whether the proposed duel would take place and then everyone is paused in a free cam mode so they can observe the quick duel.

SERIAL KILLeR
September 2, 2004, 11:58 pm
I dont really like this idea, soldat isnt jedi knight II where u have cool face to face lightsaber duels...

But some kind of mode where u have to challenge someone into a duel on a map with different duel arenas would be cool.