( search forums )
Soldat Remake, 3D and more caracteristics
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
diablo_ffn
November 2, 2004, 11:50 pm
hi, guys. i'm a spanish (sorry, my english is horrible) that want to make a game inpired in soldat. Before that, i must speak whit the creator of the game. i try to use the link to his mail in the spanish webpage, but doesn't work.

please M, contact whit me, and sorry for posting here for that. diablo_ffn@hotmail.com

ok, in general, my idea is modify the soldat engine to a new 3D engine using Blizt3D. The proyect will be a GNU procject hosted in http://www.sourceforge.net whit the next name "3DSoldat" and the next UNIX name "the3dsoldat". i will try to make intense 3D scenarios whit the soldat addiction. of course, if M haven't any problem whit this i make the game, if not, sorry

bye

Magniitude
November 3, 2004, 12:03 am
No. This was already posted in the sticky at the beginning of the forums. Soldat is meant to be a 2-d shooter and if it was 3-d it wouldn't be Soldat. Period.

paramud
November 3, 2004, 12:07 am
sigh... than it will be a game BASED on soldat than...

The Geologist
November 3, 2004, 12:50 am
What the hell are you doing here paramud?

"Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh. Soldiers fight against each other on 2D battle arenas using a deadly military arsenal. This is what multiplayer was invented for." - Taken from the Soldat home page

Need I say more? 3D and Soldat are two things that simply do not work together.

Michal
November 3, 2004, 1:22 am
It wouldn't be Soldat if it was 3D [}:)]

There is already a Soldat, and it is one of the best damn games ever made.

Skate4Razors
November 3, 2004, 3:36 am
Soldat is fine where it is, so don't try and talk with Michal in "recreating Soldat!" I think everyone would just want to kick the living sheet out of you! =^)

LazehBoi
November 3, 2004, 3:46 am
Soldat = Two dimensions. Two dimensions = Simplicity. Simplicity = What makes this game great. Remove one of them, and you remove the greatness that Soldat is. Making a game based off of it would be the most boring thing ever.

Edit: Also, Paramud, go away.

deejii
November 3, 2004, 4:58 am
bad idea :(

ubiquity
November 3, 2004, 5:16 am
hmm
u guys r dumb, period.
yeah diablo_ffn go for it, but i must warn u: if it sucks, i wont play it, period

The Geologist
November 3, 2004, 5:44 am
quote:Originally posted by ubiquityhmm
u guys r dumb, period.
yeah diablo_ffn go for it, but i must warn u: if it sucks, i wont play it, period

Oh no! He won't play it if it sucks...the market will crash!!
Seriously though...if we're dumb, then you don't understand what Soldat is about. You'd probably think vehicles, dolphins, and kung-fu would all be appropriate for the game. Of course, you do have one post...so you must know what you're talking about with your vast experience and time spent in discussion on these forums.

blackdevil0742
November 3, 2004, 8:16 am
I say nooooo
Soldat in 2D = as it should be

Jap_man
November 3, 2004, 8:35 am
I say you don't bother, really.

Aspa
November 3, 2004, 8:59 am
A 3D soldat-inspired game? You'll get sued for copyright infringement by whoever makes Counter Strike.

What I'd like to see though is a 2D, singleplayer, Soldat-inspired game. With random generated maps and missions, RPG-style stats for the soldiers (like in X-COM) and overarching campaigns.

Element_101
November 3, 2004, 12:11 pm
I Say Give It A Shot If You Really Want But Dont Give Your Hopes Up Through, By The Look Of The Responses Here Dosn't Seem Like You Will Get Much Support.

Hektik Sniper
November 3, 2004, 12:45 pm
3d Soldat: http://www.tribesvengeance.com/ ;o ;o ;o

Weed
November 3, 2004, 12:58 pm
you guys are all a bunch of mother [:-censored]ing retards.
ffs, the guy isnt trying to CONVERT soldat into 3d, he is just trying to make a 3d game based in soldat, he doesn't need you bunch of retards to go around saying "soldat is 2d, keep it that way" HE AINT GONNA [:-censored]EN CHANGE GOD DAMNED SOLDAT, HE IS GONNA MAKE A [:-censored]EN 3D GAME BASED in soldat.

god damned bunch of retards, read his post before you reply.

Rhombus
November 3, 2004, 1:07 pm
Yo diablo_ffn, I say go for it. Try to make a 3d clone of soldat, but, dont call it soldat3d or whatever. Give it an original name. When Im done learning c++ Im gonna make a game too, with some great stuff, of which i wont tell you guys anything yet[:p] anyway go for it.

b00stA
November 3, 2004, 2:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hektik Sniper3d Soldat: http://www.tribesvengeance.com/ ;o ;o ;o

Yup, Tribes 3 reminded me of Soldat.

quote:Originally posted by Weedyou guys are all a bunch of mother [:-censored]ing retards.
ffs, the guy isnt trying to CONVERT soldat into 3d, he is just trying to make a 3d game based in soldat, he doesn't need you bunch of retards to go around saying "soldat is 2d, keep it that way" HE AINT GONNA [:-censored]EN CHANGE GOD DAMNED SOLDAT, HE IS GONNA MAKE A [:-censored]EN 3D GAME BASED in soldat.

god damned bunch of retards, read his post before you reply.

quote:Originally posted by diablo_ffn
ok, in general, my idea is modify the soldat engine to a new 3D engine using Blizt3D.
According to that, he's trying to take the existing Soldat to 3D, which is just non-sense.
Of course he will have to rewrite pretty much everything..
I support it, no matter what it will be called. Just go for it and finish it. Doesn't matter if it's too "simple" (which it can't be), just finish it.
Go for it.

DT
November 3, 2004, 3:23 pm
Soldats cool becuse its 2D... it its 3D... things would be to different for me and i would 't play...
but... you can make the scenarios[;)]

kkazican
November 3, 2004, 3:33 pm
Soldat+3D=Doom1

The Geologist
November 3, 2004, 5:45 pm
Agreed. Even if it is a game based on Soldat, the 3D feel just doesn't remind me of the original. Go ahead and make it (by all means...I didn't include that in my first post).

Off Topic: Don't strain your intellect with all those big four letter words Weed. You're gonna pop an artery or something trying to look down on everyone like that. [|)]

Michal Marcinkowski
November 3, 2004, 6:56 pm
Hi diablo_ffn,
Please PM me or write on michalm(at)poczta.fm. I hope you make this game. I would like to see more soldatish games!. I hope you want to make the characters and maps 3d not the gameplay to be 3d, because then it would be just an FPS with a Soldat theme.

G2KT
November 3, 2004, 9:31 pm
Was what i was thinking to Michal... Not turn it into an FPS... keep it a sidescroller or w/e but create the characters and maps in a 3D perspective.

Its kinda hard in a way to explain... so if i can find a picture of some other game as an example ill post it here.

[EDIT]
Ahh...here we go... Contra... a pretty good example IMO.

http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/ss/ContraPS201.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/ss/ContraPS206.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/ss/ContraPS204.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/ss/ContraPS205.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/ss/ContraPS203.jpg
http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/ss/ContraPS202.jpg

STEELIX
November 3, 2004, 9:53 pm
soldat in 3d would just be one of the many army first person shooters... if you want a shooter in 3d with jetpacks, try tribes or giants citizen kabuto

diablo_ffn
November 5, 2004, 1:19 am
Ufff, i naver saw a flame like this ...

Michal: i write to your e-mail to explain my proyect when it was more advanced.

Guys: Ok ok, i am going to respond to all "flames":

First: My game, are INSPIRED in Soldat, isn't another Soldat. Soldat isn't like 3DSoldat. I want to make a FPS 3D Shooter in jungle a dungeons escenaries whit players whit actual weapons and jetcpacks, yes, like soldat, but have another things.

Second: Doom1???? I will use Blizt3D no DIV ... XD

Third: Soldat is soldier in too many languajes, o my god, is a simply word. Only i am making a reference naming my game "3dsoldat" because i love Soldat. I like it 2d mode and it games, i think that i can't make a similar game because soldat is UNIQUE. But i want to male a similar game in 3D.

Fourth: I like games programing, i love it. "i will try to make intense 3D scenarios whit the soldat addiction" and i need help, no 300 bad replys.

Five: Sorry, my english is bad, i know ....

Michal Marcinkowski
November 5, 2004, 12:05 pm
That's ok. If you make a fast deathmatch game like Doom/Quake in the jungle it will be great.

Dark_Lotus
November 14, 2004, 3:59 pm
I saw a dream where I play a duel with my friend (Normal 2D), there were five "levels" where you could go by a button, like a imitation of dimension.
Then, I pushed a button, and got not-so-good-graphic FirstPS view to my friend, because he was on a other side of the tunnel, I aimed with barret way up (Because in Soldat, bullets have tendency to fall down before their times), and the camera followed the bullet like in Max Payne's sniper, but missed. Maybe this gives some inspiration to ya. Good idea BTW.

Fun dream tho ^^

zoldat
November 14, 2004, 4:09 pm
I like the game the way it is in 2D but a 3D game hmmmmmm give it a try :)

and eweryone talk nice.

Messiah
November 14, 2004, 4:18 pm
Poor, Diablo i like your idea :) i hope you come up with a nice 3D shooter ;) Good Luck!

Hitman
November 14, 2004, 6:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by Element_101I Say Give It A Shot If You Really Want But Dont Give Your Hopes Up Through, By The Look Of The Responses Here Dosn't Seem Like You Will Get Much Support.
Why Did You Capitalise The First Letter In Every Word?

Yeah, go for it, doesn't effect us, so why are you so bothered about it?..

Denacke
November 14, 2004, 6:12 pm
It Is Very Cool And It Draws Attention Because He Is An Attention Whore
Anyweee gl making it :)

Ravey
November 27, 2004, 11:50 am
I am jealous if you have the full version of Blitz3D.

Good luck with this project, just take the project seriously and it should turn out great. Game development advice, you don't need 200 average graphics designers. If you're gonna have a team for this, keep it relatively small (2-4) and make sure you have the best people for the job. Blitz3D is a decent choice for programming, but if the game isn't optimised properly it might be a problem since it isn't the fastest for games.

nazikilla
December 18, 2004, 4:47 am
the more free games, the better. thats how i got soldat. go for it

Unlucky 13
December 19, 2004, 3:12 am
quote:Originally posted by Hitmanquote:Originally posted by Element_101I Say Give It A Shot If You Really Want But Dont Give Your Hopes Up Through, By The Look Of The Responses Here Dosn't Seem Like You Will Get Much Support.
Why Did You Capitalise The First Letter In Every Word?

(DONT MAKE A QUOTE TRAIN OUTTA THIS!!!)
It makes it harder to read accually, but it gets attention.
Anyway, this sounds like a nice project, maybe if you use the Radiant map engine for maps like Quake did (www.qeradiant.com) that'd be nice.

hypno
December 29, 2004, 2:48 am
dont make a 3d one you will make soldat crap and none of us want that to hapen

ok

Messiah
December 29, 2004, 2:57 am
quote:Originally posted by hypnodont make a 3d one you will make soldat crap and none of us want that to hapen

ok

Where the hell did you hear that? It would be fine, and he isnt gonna copy soldat hes making a 3D version of it, read what he wrote /_/ *sigh*

Solidarnosc
December 30, 2004, 5:01 am
I think that it might be possible to create a game quite similar to Soldat in a 3D world, while keeping the 2D simplicity of Soldat's gameplay. The players could move along a ground with 2 dimensions and the view would be bird's eye or (preferably) isometric (similar to non-polygonal strategy games). Because the view would not be perspective, it should be possible to have the same sprite look for the soldiers. The ground would probably have to be either flat or use simple height mapping instead of polygons. A polygon system similar to the existing soldat map polygons could be used to create obstacles on the ground (such as rivers, rocks, etc.).
The only drawback to this type of game would be the necessary restriction to the 2 dimensions of gameplay. It would be hard (but not necessarily impossible) to program an easy method of pointing a gun up and down as well as around quickly. For this reason, it might be necessary to get rid of jetpacks (Lagrange style) and have flat maps. I hope that this would not be the case, because moving a Soldat soldier in 3 dimension with a jetpack would be COOL.
One good thing about a Soldat game like this would be that it would make it possible to include other suggestions that have previously been laughed at, such as vehicles and trenches.
By the way, don't worry about all the people shooting down your suggestion, diablo. For all we know, somebody probably thought Michal was crazy to think of making a game like Soldat.

dadarkman
January 1, 2005, 10:03 pm
I want to see a soldat-based rpg, with HUGE levels and [IMAGE]...thats better than another f*ckingcounterstrike/soldat-remake

TIR_Blade
January 2, 2005, 2:42 am
What i think would be awsome is if u try to give it a slight 3d touch. With the FPS cuz im guessing ur pretty stuck on that. So the maps would be the same length wise, but then depth, imagine it only a small distance depth all the way. Then you could move slightely side to side to avoid the bullets and sneak by people, which would avoid the going through them. But you wouldn't take away that head to head soldat feeling of knowing you'll meet the person. As well as keep it simple. I'm figuring you're doing this alone? If you are then i would think my way'd be easier, not to mention my guess is that a full blown FPS would be too difficult.

ArmadonRK
January 5, 2005, 11:32 pm
FPSes I can get plenty of. I want to see the same 2D Soldat, with some 3D hrown into the mi. Like Pandemonium for N-Gage and SpiderMan 2 for DS. Both have 2D sidescrolling gameplay, but they also have 3D graphics and 3D environments. The fundamental effect of that is the ability to turn corners. That would certainly be an interesting addition to Soldat, and keep the simplicity of the current gameplay.

CamBot
January 6, 2005, 2:55 am
Soldat like this would be ownage ;D

http://www.classicgaming.com/contra/games/neocontra/neocontra.htm

js92647
January 6, 2005, 7:32 am
Uhh, no it wouldnt.

Contra in '3D' is Soldat in '3D'...

Contra was the best when it was classic, when it was 2D, contra 1 - 3 was the ass kicker of all times. period.

Aegis
January 6, 2005, 8:12 am
Good luck making a First person shooter, because you'll need it, even for a very mediocre one. Attempting to make a FPS to compete with today's standards is insane unless you actually work at a company where you can get ahold of a full developmental team - being a 1 man programmer is rediculessly hard when making any game in 3d. Why? You have to do everyone's job. 1. Game Designer 2.Game Programmer 3.Modeller (4.Sound artist & 5.Musician if you choose not to pay for it at some point) 6.Game tester 7.Level designer 8.Marketer (to make known your game, unless you have the money to pay a publisher for this kind of thing.

Oh and dont forget if your game has multiplayer capability, you will proably have to run a server of some sort where players can announce their games (a lobby server) which requires a server computer and a relatively fast internet connection(broadband or better..) so dont forget to have lots of cash, time, and diligence.

Again, Good Luck :)

NavySeal
January 7, 2005, 6:47 pm
about 4 why should we have those
and 5 He can just take the music from Soldat or just some fans help him
6 Think many here would like to test and I'm one of them
7 Depends on what kind of lvl editor he use maybe some fans will help him

and maybe some fans will help him host a server cus its always fun to test new games.

astar
January 9, 2005, 12:30 pm
perhaps this isn't what diablo is thinking about. But It would be nice to see soldat with 3d graphics and keep a 2d perspective. Cell shade all the models, keep it more or less the same as soldat only with better graphics. Think smash brothers melee on gamecube.

Personally I don't think it's worth the effort as the 2d graphics of soldat work fine. But 3d could allow deformable terrain, decals, better animations and character detail and using a pre-existing 3d engine would mean better netcode without having to write your own netcode.

another possibility is soldat with a first person perspective or third person (from behind the character) but keep it on a single plane like soldat is. with maybe the only diffrence being the ability to side step left or right a little bit (perhaps only allowing you to move left or right one character width over)

edit:sorry about repeating what others have touched on here, but the idea is to interesting not to flesh out further.

the added dimmension of not being able to see what's behind you would be very fun aswell. and it would be pretty cool to have obstacles you can only get past via side stepping. The dilema of people camping and using them as cover could be alleviate by makeing them destructable.. so they would only act as cover for so long.

Solidarnosc
January 11, 2005, 3:54 am
I don't think the first person (or for that matter third person, behind) view idea is going to work on the single plane. All one has to do is imagine the view and you will realise how strange it would look. Also, jolting (or even turning) the view around 180 degrees could lead to some strange disorientation. Such a view is not necessary to have a blind spot behind the player since pushing the current 2D view across to just the vision side of a player would be enough.
As far as engines are concerned, I don't think anything flashy is needed to do a 3D version of Soldat. The graphics and network code would be very similar to what Soldat already uses now. If sprites were used for the players and scenery, the only real 3D in such a game would be a perspective scaled view (which isn't even necessary).

Rhombus
January 17, 2005, 11:32 am
has anybody ever played 2d unreal tournament 2004? It rocks! I dunno who said that earlier, but he gave a couple of links showing pictures of contra: scattered soldier. If the big and mighty M would put that into soldat, it might lose its simplicity, but might make it a superb game, which attracts more ppl. Its still a bit of a cult game actually.

SERIAL KILLeR
January 17, 2005, 2:28 pm
Soldat 3D! --> http://pub.cgnews.de/

Saw it on the selfkill forums : http://soldat.4players.de/forumv2/viewtopic.php?t=1581

MOFO NOFO
January 17, 2005, 3:04 pm
HOLY [IMAGE]<< THATS COOL!!!!

/me DOWNLOADS Bloody test, and that other rar file!!

Super N00b
January 24, 2005, 12:06 am

" What the hell are you doing here paramud?

"Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh. Soldiers fight against each other on 2D battle arenas using a deadly military arsenal. This is what multiplayer was invented for." - Taken from the Soldat home page

Need I say more? 3D and Soldat are two things that simply do not work together."

Yeah.... he said he wanted to make a game INSPIRED by Soldat. Doesn't have to be exactly the same game. In fact, it shouldn't. What would be the point of that?

KeyesBlob
January 24, 2005, 12:19 am
Not like I wouldn't give credit to Michal, but you could make a Soldat based game into 3D and then call it "ahnialation" or some other game...

NavySeal
January 24, 2005, 10:19 pm
I don't see any problems with this game.

Solidarnosc
January 25, 2005, 1:38 pm
Soldat doesn't have problems as such, but think about how cool it would be to be able to hold a line along 1 dimensions instead of 0. The advantage suddenly switches to the defensive player and teamwork becomes more than just picking up a flag that a teammates drops. To advance, a player would need the support of teammates. A player that runs ahead guns blazing would be picked to pieces in a more realistic style of game. However, you are right Keyes, as Soldat wasnt Liero 2, a new game would probably have to be a new game completely which simply 'borrows' ideas. As this is a development forum, someone (and I can't see it being Michal) needs to actually have a stab and get feedback. Once the project was started and Michal recognized it's potential, the programmer would have enough momentum and optimism to keep going. I myself want to but I haven't had much experience with graphics libraries, although I still try to learn.

grand_diablo
January 25, 2005, 9:15 pm
Guys, sorry to disappoint you, but that Soldat 3D thingy on the selfkill forums is not going to be a game. Its goign to be a 3D Wallpaper and maybe some fun videos ;)

NavySeal
January 26, 2005, 10:36 pm
Well can't read that languenge so didn't know about that thing.

chakapoko maker
January 28, 2005, 11:33 am
here's an alternative way to make such a kind of game, as one of q3 mods.
http://avatar.telefragged.com/tq.htm

js92647
January 29, 2005, 9:00 pm
LOL, making high-poly characters in 3D Studio Max and calling it 'Soldat 3D' is pathetic.

zambo_the_clown
February 17, 2005, 6:30 pm
yea ya dont see many 2d games that are being made today and are popular on the market. soldat became popular because of its style