( search forums )
New Map Maker
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Arenth
November 25, 2004, 1:36 am
Well I have most of my map makers loading routines done. So since I'm going to be working on the UI and editing options, I figured now is a good time to ask what people want to see in a Map Editor.

Mine is being written from the ground up useing openGL, and c++, and keep in mind while I can't change the map format, since I'm not using Michaels source code (though it was of amazing help), I can add pretty well any feature suggested with a fair amount of ease.

So suggest anything you want.

Fangus Deef
November 25, 2004, 1:48 am
10,000 scenery limit
rotate polygon option
USE OF MORE THAN 1 TEXTURE IN A MAP!
a mouse icon that is a soldat, so we know how large our passages are
random bonuses (if possible)

Deleted User
November 25, 2004, 2:15 am
Pre-built polygon option. For example, I could select the Circle brush shape, and place premade circles throughout the map.
Semi-transparant view for fake polygons. Self explanatory, really. An option to look through polygons that might be in the way.

_Mancer_
November 25, 2004, 3:03 am
Auto-connect polyons, connecting to the verticies.

Auto-shade option.

ie: If a corner of a polygon is shaded Black, connecting to that corner will turn the polygons corner black when you make a new one. If the corner is red and you make a polygon connecting to it, the shade will be red. If you unselect the Auto-Shade option, it doesnt do that anymore.

Hercule Poirot
November 25, 2004, 6:48 am
1. polygon adding like in meitzi editpro (becouse it's much better than on map maker)
2. polygon/scenery/waypoint/spawn/collisions limits to 10 000 (shows them on somewhere)
3. some kinda rectangle tool like in editpro
4. option that you can move resize scenerys after you have placed em
5. option to make your own background weather effect and slider to change it speed
6. polygons that are behind everything??
7. shading tool of course
8. it would be nice if you check some site (bb_vb) about bot waypointing polygon making and add them to help/manual
9. maybe change to translate it your own language from english (txt file??)
10. auto save

can't think more atm :/

Arenth
November 26, 2004, 9:36 am
Well I can't really add more then one texture per map, this is a limitation of soldat, and not the map editor itself, so until soldat supports more textures, I can't. Also I dunno about custom weather effects, these seem to be decided by soldat too. I think I can change polygons to be behind everything, but they might still be collidable... I dunno yet. The rest actually looks pretty easy. The next time I post, Ill hopefully be able to post some screens.

Hercule Poirot
November 26, 2004, 12:21 pm
oh goodie i hope that you can make at least some of those suggestions :)

Sprocket
November 27, 2004, 4:06 pm
1000 Bot waypoint limit! i have mape maps that stayd unwaypointed cause of the limit.

are you really gonna make this? i'm really lookin' forward to it.!.

Arenth
November 27, 2004, 5:36 pm
Well I'm gonna try, but since I'm writing it completely from the ground up, it will take longer then say... map maker plus to finish, right now, it loads and textures the polygons from the map (the texturing is a little off, but it works well enough to get the idea), it is full screen, I'm working on sectors, which I have no idea what they are for...:P, and scenery.

Well here is a screen... its not much but it has the shading, and texturing done, and while you all cant use it, you can move around the map with the arrow keys, and zoom with page up and page down:P
[IMAGE]

Vijchtidoodah
November 27, 2004, 5:44 pm
Looking great, keep up the good work!

Aquarius
November 27, 2004, 6:12 pm
If you made it from scratch, then the map rendering is the first, very important step :) GOOD JOB!

Could you post the renderer? I would like to try how fast it is on my old PC :)

Arenth
November 27, 2004, 6:15 pm
You mean the code to the renderer??

[Edit] oh u mean the compiled renderer. Sure but be warned.... there is a memory leak relating to textures right now, and I dunno where it is, you can clean up the lost memory with a restart tho.

Aquarius
November 27, 2004, 6:16 pm
no, executable file

Yeah, compiled renderer :)

Arenth
November 27, 2004, 6:37 pm
Well I'll post the executable, as soon as i add some way to load any file you want:P. Right now its hard coded to load "c:\soldat\arena.pms".
If thats all right with you, then here it is.

http://blueandpallas.sphosting.com/soldead.zip

Clicking on the link wont work, because the people I hosted this file with are evil.... copy the link, and paste it in your browser instead.

Aquarius
November 27, 2004, 7:10 pm
It works quite nice...
But I had to download SDL.dll file from here: http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php to make it work.

DeMonIc
November 27, 2004, 7:24 pm
I'd like to see a "connection degree setability": I'll try to define.
You select 2 polygons, and you type in the con.degree box, like eg.: 60, and press set:The mapmaker than sets the polygons to connect in 60 degrees.

Arenth
November 27, 2004, 7:59 pm
Oh yeah... I'm using sdl instead of using windows funcntions, this way hopefully it will be able to compile on all OS's... The downside is you do have to get sdl.dll if you dont already have it...

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 6:31 am
I keep getting an error message telling me that I'm not allowed to download from their site...for the love of god, put your file on laughingllamas.com!

m00`
December 8, 2004, 6:43 am
try my site http://m00.u13.net but dont put any files in .rar on my uploader, because it doesnt like .rar make sure you use .zip if u need to :Q

Yukwunhang
December 8, 2004, 6:48 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahI keep getting an error message telling me that I'm not allowed to download from their site...for the love of god, put your file on laughingllamas.com!

Save target as...

Deleted User
December 8, 2004, 4:29 pm
GoooOOOOD IDEA!!!
Don't stop Arenth!

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 10:44 pm
Thanks yuk!

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 11:06 pm
I downloaded SDL.dll but it still isn't working...I have both soldead and SDL.dll in my soldat directory but the program just starts up and then I get an error message saying that it has encountered a problem and it closes again.

Don't let me miss out on the fun!

Michal
December 9, 2004, 1:25 am
^I got same problem :s

If you want my suggestions...
All I want is actually connecting vertices which do not move during compile, and no polybugs.... That is all ;)

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 6:37 am
Michal, use Mark.jp's mapmaker, there are polybugs but at least the vertices don't move during compile.

Michal
December 9, 2004, 8:37 pm
I used Mark's and I had a map going pretty nicely, on around the 10th compile every poly became bumpy. It was pretty retarded and now all I can do is start over :(

Vijchtidoodah
December 9, 2004, 8:38 pm
Hmm...never happens to me

Arenth
December 21, 2004, 1:53 am
Whoa... sorry for the lack of updats and such.... My internet has been down for like a month.... So anyways I got most of the file and what it does figured out... there is alot of weird stuff in it:P, like props, which i am guessing are the poly's for scenery, wont be able to tell yet till i try loading and viewing them... so anyways. Just wanted to say i havent given up on the project. and for the people having errors with it... tell me what the error says(open up stderr.txt in the directory and it should tell you) of course one limitation of soldead, is soldat has to be installed in c:\soldat\ i will fix this in future release, sorry for the problems.

nickasummers
December 23, 2004, 5:03 pm
I have idea is it posible to disble the thing were if you stretch your poly because you built it to small, it doesnt stretch the texture?

dr dragon
December 23, 2004, 8:10 pm
nickasummers, just press Fix Texture afterwards.