( search forums )
Map Editor Idea
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Michal
December 7, 2004, 9:01 pm
Ok, so I can't program and I don't know if what I'm suggesting is possible...

This game Autumn Fog ([URL]) is somewhat similar to Soldat, especially the map format. There are 3 sided polygons which are stuck together by verticy, shaded, and textured. Here's a screen of the editor:
[IMAGE]
The main difference is how a map is made. The verticies are placed first, and then connected. That makes the polys actually joined and there are no polybugs. My idea is for a mapeditor like this to be made for Soldat if it's possible. I don't know what language AF is programmed in, but I'm sure that can be found out on the forums or from the author. If anyone is interested about the editor, it's included with the main download.

Vijchtidoodah
December 7, 2004, 11:28 pm
I'm pretty sure that meitzi's already did that, but nobody has even tried to make it work with the new version.

_Mancer_
December 8, 2004, 12:13 am
NICE. Im 100% for this.

peemonkey
December 8, 2004, 1:36 am
sounds cool. it'd make mapping easier for people

Elephant_Hunter
December 8, 2004, 1:40 am
Just wait for the new version of openMapper :P

Michal
December 8, 2004, 2:11 am
^If it'll work as good as this, then I guarantee I could make an awesome map every 2 weeks 8D

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 4:51 am
Yes, elephant, but we've been waiting sooo long...

Care to give us a preview of the new features?

Hercule Poirot
December 8, 2004, 6:37 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahI'm pretty sure that meitzi's already did that, but nobody has even tried to make it work with the new version.

aaaarrghh i have been saying this like 3 different new map maker to but this option innit but no one seems to care... i don't get it that would be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! easy to make polygons and they dont frigging move when compiling map -.- i still say that meitzi editor is the best one until someone makes that kinda polygon placing to new map maker...

Deleted User
December 8, 2004, 4:32 pm
Good!
Sounds CooL

Michal
December 8, 2004, 8:52 pm
Meitzi released the source code for Map Edit Pro ([URL])... Maybe someone could make use of it...

I used to use MapEdit Pro back in my pre-online days, I actually made at least one decent map... I wasn't aware of poly bugs back then though so I don't really remember how well it worked. I do remember that the polys could snap to the grid, that was pretty cool.

Vijchtidoodah
December 8, 2004, 9:52 pm
Uhh, hercule, just use mark.jp's map editor. It has an option to make sure that polygons don't move during compiling.

Hercule Poirot
December 9, 2004, 8:51 am
but it don't have frigging good polygon placing like edit pro end of story!

i could make polygons on edit pro and use mark.jp's map editor for compiling but on other hand it's not fun u can only make 400 polygons save it load map on mark.jp's map editor copy all polygons clicking one by one? (no regtangle tool huh???) and paste them to new map and move them...

Sprocket
December 9, 2004, 10:41 am
wow.. hope someone has the experience ro make this..

hypno
December 29, 2004, 2:53 am
thats good i like it
great idear

Will
January 6, 2005, 2:06 pm
ever heard of the Ideas section?

Fangus Deef
January 8, 2005, 4:52 am
this is the correct section will. it's not a suggestion for soldat, it's a suggestion for a map maker maker out there. now i shall bite you.

Deleted User
February 8, 2005, 1:32 pm
I 100% agree ! It will be cool :D

N1nj@
February 8, 2005, 9:07 pm
Stop bring old threads back dude

Anna
February 9, 2005, 1:27 am
If anyone's wondering, I'm still working on my map editor :P

Solidarnosc
February 9, 2005, 2:49 am
I would try to make a vertex based Map Maker, but I don't know enough about Delphi to edit the original source enough and I don't know the map format to do it in a language I am familiar with. If anyone is interested, I was able to fix a few bugs in the Delphi source with the grid system. I made it so the grid stays in the same spot with the same size no matter how you zoom or scroll, and I also fixed the zoom so that it zooms in on the centre of the window, not the corner. Unfortunately, I don't know enough to do any more that. :(

zambo_the_clown
February 17, 2005, 6:27 pm
would be great if you could also create polygons with more than 3 sides like you keep making sides of the polygon and you come back to the first point that was made of the polygon and connect the first and last points of the polygon. sorry if you dont get what im saying :P

Deleted User
February 17, 2005, 8:31 pm
Would be great, I'd use any map maker that would work on my PC. I have so many ideas for maps and none of the current map makers work for me.