( search forums )
Map File Format
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Anna
December 11, 2004, 3:39 am
Can someone explain the map file format to me? My brother wants me to make a map editor. If it's not too hard I might do it but I dunno where to get started :s

n00bface
December 11, 2004, 3:52 am
Download the map maker source and check it out for yourself.

Anna
December 11, 2004, 4:09 am
I've got the source, but I don't know Delphi. I have the EditPro source and I know VB but it's not helping much either.

Vijchtidoodah
December 11, 2004, 4:19 am
Well, you know the format. So what's your real question?

Michal
December 11, 2004, 5:00 am
I want Anna to make EditPro work with the new .pms file format, because EditPro was the best editor ever :9
She "knows" Visual basic and that's the language EditPro is made in so I don't think it would be too hard for her to do that... Although since she doesn't know Delphi, so she's having trouble understanding the .pms format.

peemonkey
December 11, 2004, 5:24 am
new .pms format?

Anna
December 11, 2004, 5:41 am
quote:Originally posted by MichalI want Anna to make EditPro work with the new .pms file format, because EditPro was the best editor ever :9
She "knows" Visual basic and that's the language EditPro is made in so I don't think it would be too hard for her to do that... Although since she doesn't know Delphi, so she's having trouble understanding the .pms format.
[IMAGE]

Hercule Poirot
December 11, 2004, 8:40 am
quote:Originally posted by MichalI want Anna to make EditPro work with the new .pms file format, because EditPro was the best editor ever :9

"I don't think it would be too hard for her" ??? well if he understand finnish 100% then it wont be too hard coz you know those comments & great part of source is in finnish :PPPPPP

Const SceneKorjausX As Single = 0.5 'Korjaa sceneryjen paikkaa
=
Const SceneryfixX As Single = 0.5 'Fixes scenery places

or something like that.. :)

cooz
December 11, 2004, 10:01 am
ok herc, task fo U:
translate all comments and variable names in metzi's source code to english, hehehehehe ^^

Michal Marcinkowski
December 11, 2004, 12:53 pm
Just learn the basics of Delphi / Object Pascal. There's lots of tutorials on the internet. All you need to know is how a record structure looks like and rewrite it in VB if you know it.

SERIAL KILLeR
December 11, 2004, 12:54 pm
Check the last post by Meitzi : http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=17886

Anna
December 12, 2004, 10:27 pm
I've been reading about records in Delphi and looking at the file reading/writing code in EditPro and the PolyMap.pas file in the map maker source. It's confusing but I think I'm starting to understand it :P

I think instead of making a full editor I might make a program that just lets you edit the polygons and compile. A full map editor would take waaaay too long. I'd just implement things like vertices that snap together perfectly and a grid (features that my brother wants). Then scenery, spawn points, etc. would be added with a different editor. But I still have to see if it's not too hard for me.

Hercule Poirot
December 13, 2004, 7:01 am
quote:Originally posted by coozok herc, task fo U:
translate all comments and variable names in metzi's source code to english, hehehehehe ^^

i would rather hang myself then translate it :P

cooz
December 13, 2004, 8:00 pm
your language, your choice ;) :P

Anna
December 13, 2004, 10:34 pm
[code]
// The Polygon Map Structure
TPolyMap = object
VertexBuffer : IDirect3DVertexBuffer8;
Polys : array[1..MaxPolys2] of TPolygon;
Perp : array[1..MaxPolys2,1..3] of TD3DXVector3;
PolyCount : integer;
PosX, PosY :integer;
Texture : IDIRECT3DTEXTURE8;
Sectors : array[NMIN_SECTOR..NMAX_SECTOR,NMIN_SECTOR..NMAX_SECTOR] of TSector;
SectorsDivision : integer;
BackgroundColor, BackgroundColor2 : longint;
BackgroundVertexBuffer : IDirect3DVertexBuffer8;
BackPoly : array[1..2] of TPolygon;
Path : TNewWayPoints;
PolyType : array[1..MaxPolys2] of byte;
[/code]
Is there a vertex buffer in the file? I don't know what to do with VertexBuffer : IDirect3DVertexBuffer8;
:s
edit: I'm looking at the saving/loading code in Unit1.pas and it's clarifying some things. I'm getting used to Delphi :D

Inquisitor
December 14, 2004, 1:58 pm
when you got it, please make a small tutorial, ok?

Anna
December 14, 2004, 9:23 pm
The first three values I get when I try loading from "inf_POW Camp.PMS":

%Prisoner of War Camp - Made by Michal
 rodzynka.bmp2?Ôw0ú

Everything after that is screwed up too... what am I doing wrong?
EDIT: Nevermind, the good people at Gamedev.net helped me out with this ^_^

Anna
December 15, 2004, 7:13 pm
Is it normal to get negative x coordinates for a polygon?

Michal Marcinkowski
December 19, 2004, 4:53 pm
TPolyMap is a map structure that I use for map display. It is based on DirectX, that's why there is a vertex buffer - IDirect3DVertexBuffer8.
You can make your own map structure. The more important structures are the ones used for file save/loading and those are the structures beginning with "TMapFile_" ex. TMapFile_Header, TMapFile_Options.
The saving/loading is done in functions:
procedure TForm1.SaveToFile2(filename : string);
and
procedure TForm1.LoadFromFile2(filename : string);.
If you know the basics it's not complicated.

Anna
December 19, 2004, 5:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiTPolyMap is a map structure that I use for map display. It is based on DirectX, that's why there is a vertex buffer - IDirect3DVertexBuffer8.
You can make your own map structure. The more improtant structures are the ones used for file save/loading and those are the structures beginning with "TMapFile_" ex. TMapFile_Header, TMapFile_Options.
The saving/loading is done in functions:
procedure TForm1.SaveToFile2(filename : string);
and
procedure TForm1.LoadFromFile2(filename : string);.
If you know the basics it's not complicated.

Thanks :) Yeah, I understand that now. I got the polys to load and I'm working on displaying them.

Edit: progress!
[IMAGE]
next is textures...

N1nj@
December 19, 2004, 7:07 pm
looks good

b00stA
December 19, 2004, 8:26 pm
It's nice to see the progress.
I hope you don't mind posting some more screenshots as you get further.

Aquarius
December 19, 2004, 9:30 pm
good job

Inquisitor
December 20, 2004, 5:53 pm
tutorial?

Anna
December 20, 2004, 8:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by Inquisitortutorial?

On how to use it or how to make an editor?

Michal
December 25, 2004, 10:05 pm
[IMAGE]
This is how I want the editor to look, as well as some of the features that I want. Anna probably won't be able to make it look like that, but hopefully she will do the features that I want :P .

Anna
December 26, 2004, 12:58 am
Update: the polys are now textured, I got the wireframe to work, and you can move the map around.
I spent two days trying to get it to work with a vertex buffer so I could do matrix tranformations on the polys, but that didn't work (wrong vertex format). So I'm just manipulating the poly array. I'm learning Direct3D as I go along so progress is a little slow -_-
Now I'm experimenting with point sprites...

bb_vb
December 26, 2004, 6:05 am
Sounds like you know what you're doing, and your progress is excellent, good luck with it :)

PS: Nice design Michal, I'd love to see a map maker like that too.

Anna
January 2, 2005, 6:56 pm
Update:
[IMAGE]
Moving around a group of vertices doesn't work properly yet though.

School starts again tomorrow so I'm not going to have as much time to work on it :(

cooz
January 3, 2005, 8:20 pm
wow, it look awesome! this presise position of verticles... mmm, continue great work Anna!

tntnik
January 8, 2005, 2:33 am
nice job!!!
i have a question for u all thou, is it possible to create a compiler that can change the .PMP files into .PMS files?
i guess not, but just making sure

Michal
January 8, 2005, 3:53 pm
You can open .pmp files and compile them and save tham as .pms with the original mapmaker, but there might be problems with scenery etc. So if you want to convert a pmp map in this way you should make it only polys.

tntnik
January 8, 2005, 9:43 pm
ok, so we can still use EditPro and use MapMakerPlus for shading, scenery and compiling
but what if i would want to open a .PMS map with the EditPro?

Michal
January 8, 2005, 10:47 pm
It wouldn't work because editpro does not recognize the .pms format.

Aquarius
January 9, 2005, 12:51 am
Wow, great job Anna! It looks great so far!

Anna
January 9, 2005, 3:39 pm
thanks guys ^_^

tntnik
January 9, 2005, 10:02 pm
Michal - i know, what i meant is how could i make the .PMS file into a .PMP file? thats the question

Michal
January 9, 2005, 10:20 pm
When saving a map you can choose the format, PMS or PMP. But if you want to open it in editpro there might be a problem if the map has scenery that isn't from the original ones that editpro has. So if there is a problem you'll have to delete the new scenery before saving as a pmp. I only tried it once so I don't know of any other errors except that EditPro has a limit of 400 polygons, it may crash if you try to open a map with more.

tntnik
January 11, 2005, 2:17 am
ahha... well ok, the huge problem with this thou is the poly displacement during all this compilements and saving... :\ but it maybe worth while...

Aquarius
March 22, 2005, 10:41 pm
Is there any progress with your editor Anna? :)

Anna
March 23, 2005, 12:41 am
Sorry about my slowness... I have a lot of tests/assignments lately and exams are coming up so I've been pretty busy with school. I'll release the alpha version as soon as I've implemented the grid and snapping, so you guys can test the interface. Don't know when that will be though. After that I still have to do saving and scenery and all that stuff. Fortunately there's only three weeks of classes left and my exams will be over by the end of April, so I'll have lots of time to work on it then :)

Elephant_Hunter
March 23, 2005, 2:06 am
I don't know if you need help or not, but you would have my assistance if you ever wanted it. I mean, two people are better than one. We might even get Enesce to do some fiddling around :P

Anna
March 23, 2005, 2:13 am
I can handle it ;) thanks anyway.

Elephant_Hunter
March 23, 2005, 2:42 am
I guess this means war... :D

chrisgbk
March 30, 2005, 7:20 am
[00:15] <chrisgbk> hey, heh, elephant hunter made a comment in anna's thread (on the mapmaker) saying maybe you could do somefiddling around lol
[00:16] <EnEsCe> im stil trying to find the thread >_>
[00:16] <EnEsCe> oh found it
[00:16] <EnEsCe> speak of the devil
[00:16] <chrisgbk> page 2 =D
[00:17] <EnEsCe> aww lol
[00:17] <EnEsCe> "i can handle it"
[00:17] <chrisgbk> yeah :(
[00:17] <EnEsCe> NO YOU CANT *****!
[00:17] * EnEsCe slaps anna
[00:17] <chrisgbk> XD

All in good fun, of course. But still amazingly funny XD

Anna
April 18, 2005, 5:27 pm
update:
[IMAGE]
^o^

Denacke
April 18, 2005, 5:42 pm
I must say, that looks very sexy!

LazehBoi
April 18, 2005, 5:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by DenackeI must say, that looks very sexy!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 18, 2005, 5:49 pm
Cor blimer guv'nor.
I smell map remakes.

Melba
April 18, 2005, 6:41 pm
Even I might start making maps now :O

Elephant_Hunter
April 18, 2005, 10:07 pm
Hmm.. what about scenery?

Anna
April 18, 2005, 10:36 pm
I haven't done scenery yet :P

Vijchtidoodah
April 18, 2005, 11:03 pm
<3

Now listen, and this is very important, don't forget to add the ability to change scenery around after you've placed it. If there's anything that really needs improvement, that's it.

By the way, nice job on the texture previewer...I've always thought that would come in handy.

Norse
April 19, 2005, 12:11 am
Wow, Im getting this when its released for sure. It'll make my job waaaayyy easier. Yeah, please add a scenery re-placer option after you've already placed a scenery. That's one of the main problems with all of the mapmakers nowadays :/ thanks.

Michal
April 19, 2005, 12:11 am
quote:By the way, nice job on the texture previewer...I've always thought that would come in handy.
That was my idea ;]

Modifying scenery after placement will be in the editor. The main focus of this editor is to be user friendly and efficient. The biggest problem with the default mapmaker is that it takes too much time to make a decent map, with Meitzi's Editpro you can see how quick and easy mapping can be, this editor will even improve on Editpro.

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 2:38 pm
wow.. like it..
hmm maybe give a overview whats coming up, whats done.. hmm maybe then it woldnt come useless posts about what should be implanted, but have disussed before.

hmm maybe their should be a options for plugins... just get this idia because of ur box system...
so every box is a plugin (new idia new feature, download it... ready to go), so u have a easy way to update aswell (just replace the needed file).
(or u use it only for u, so nobody need o know ur code, but i think it makes u flexible...

so go on with this nice project...

STEELIX
April 19, 2005, 3:02 pm
Purdy!
Nice soldat-ish environment too, me likes :) Does it also have a "pick up color" function? This might make a handy feature for shading since it speeds things up a lot.

Michal
April 19, 2005, 3:18 pm
quote:Does it also have a "pick up color" function?
Yes.

Deleted User
April 19, 2005, 3:22 pm
hmm as i suggested it ( http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=22436 )
it wasn't liked... stupid.. but great that it is in there... *hehe*

Aquarius
April 19, 2005, 3:33 pm
Great job, release some preview version please :)

Vijchtidoodah
April 19, 2005, 10:56 pm
Michal, does the color picker pick (pickled peppers) the colors on the polygon while it's textured, or does it pick the applied colors as if there wasn't any texture?

chrisgbk
April 19, 2005, 11:09 pm
If it uses the Windows API, it gets the color with the texture applied. And seeing as that is about the only way to do it, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Michal
April 19, 2005, 11:33 pm
The colour picker gets only the actual vertex colour, texture does not affect it.

cooz
April 20, 2005, 12:58 pm
Oh My Godness, this progie from last update looks awesome! and those tools - superb!
give us some preview build!

Anna
April 20, 2005, 4:56 pm
I'm going to release something soon, just be patient :)

Inquisitor
April 20, 2005, 4:58 pm
im no patient.

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 5:40 pm
but u understand english?

as more u make them to hurry, as unsatisfactory the new map maker would be...

one question if u select a poly would it be able to move them with the arrows? i think that would be great..

Boxo
April 20, 2005, 5:53 pm
So this Mapmaker will have the polygon drag'n'drop function that's in editpro? If so, this is the bestestestest goddamn MapMaker ever!

The screenshot looks great, when is some beta version going to be out?

cooz
April 20, 2005, 6:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by AnnaI'm going to release something soon, just be patient :)

how can we be pacient when we saw something like:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/Anna_Z/pw_screen_2.png
:S

quote:Originally posted by silentpark
but u understand english?

as more u make them to hurry, as unsatisfactory the new map maker would be...

and did u ever heard about preview versions of stuff? ;p

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 7:07 pm
@Boxo, u can move poly's in all versions :/
Shift+Move poly by holding mouse button ( normal by michal... and mark.jp)
and in elephant hunters i think its clear how to move.. ;)

so..

Boxo
April 20, 2005, 7:49 pm
silentpark: try editpro and you'll se what i mean. You can select vertices in groups or separately with a draggable box, and move them around, like you do to shortcuts at windows desktop :p

Milkman Dan
May 7, 2005, 9:04 am
I love you Anna <3

m00`
May 7, 2005, 9:17 am
any were near releasing anything anna?

Da cHeeSeMaN
May 7, 2005, 10:13 am
omg this mapmaker going to rock!!!

Deleted User
May 7, 2005, 11:09 am
I wonder what Anna would say if she saw what you guys were saying on IRC >>_>>

frogboy
May 7, 2005, 11:15 am
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeI wonder what Anna would say if she saw what you guys were saying on IRC >>_>>

I'm pretty sure it was only MilkmanDan. And possibly n00bface.

Deleted User
May 8, 2005, 5:27 pm
*wow*

and that font is bankgothic, isnt it?

rainrider
October 30, 2005, 11:14 pm
Hey, I can get all map info, but after Polygon_Start r polygons and I don't know how can I edit X and Y position of verticles. Anyone can help me with it or something ? I just want to edit XY, without texture effects etc.