( search forums )
Soldat port to xbox
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
RandomSkratch
January 14, 2005, 5:50 pm
Was wondering if anyone is going to make a port for the xbox? COuld be really cool! With 4 player split screen (which would get somewhat of a strain on a small tv) or make a smaller map and have it static so all 4 players are on the same screen.

b00stA
January 14, 2005, 6:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by RandomSkratchWas wondering if anyone is going to make a port for the xbox?
No.

As simple as that.

FliesLikeABrick
January 14, 2005, 9:47 pm
I am not for or against, but it would be cool if someone successfully did this.

wormdundee
January 14, 2005, 11:38 pm
someone explain to me just how in hell your supposed to aim accurately using a console controller

it would be impossible to hit anything with a ruger, barret, or m79
and the only reason the autos would hit anything at all is because you would just sorta wave the cursor around near the guy your trying to hit and some bullets would hit him

just not a good idea

Aegis
January 14, 2005, 11:40 pm
The screen would indeed have to be tiny in split. Or give you less view. And that's stupid. Besides, why make Soldat for X-box. Just wait for X-box to morph into a computer, and have windows, then you can play it, I mean its practically 2/3 of the way there already.
Haha.. j/k but Soldat will never come out on the X-box. It would have to be completely reprogrammed to be compatible, because its dependant on direct-x and compiled for computer processors. Michal is just one man, and what you're asking would take a lot of time which I imagine he doesn't have.

Tha Doggfather
January 15, 2005, 12:02 am
Uhm, I don't think you could make your own XBOX game. Maybe you could make something for a chipped XBOX, but otherwise..

But Michal doesn't release his source code, so it's not going to happen.

Unless some guy at EA or another big company should discover this game and offer Michal a 10 figure contract :)

Solidarnosc
January 15, 2005, 3:42 am
Although I can't see anything like Soldat coming out on a console, I don't think it would be impossible. As far as the controls are concerned, 2 analogue sticks could be used to control the motion of the player and target independently. You wouldn't need Michal's code to get a near enough clone made (of course he didn't have someone to copy off), but you would need his permission to call it Soldat. Also remember that an xbox is not too different from a PC, especially in terms of directX etc.

Michal Marcinkowski
January 15, 2005, 11:46 am
Maybe the Ouden (http://www.ouden.cjb.net/) guys could make it, if they started developing everything cross-platform.

The Noid
January 15, 2005, 8:02 pm
Oh this is one of my many dreams...
And I can say 'they' are already working on a pc emulater for x-box. =)

KeyesBlob
January 18, 2005, 2:53 am
Well they are making Alien Homonid for the consoles and that is a cheap ass game.

Michal should consider talking to some game developers, he might have a franchise running here. I have had some experience making games (3D, one man team) and Pandemic actually considered one of my ideas but then my comp crashed and deleted everything. Then they just said to forget about it, they discussed it and voted no.

All you need is a little luck, and some good buisness skill.

Speaking of that, I could help market Soldat if that is needed...

Deleted User
January 18, 2005, 3:09 pm
Yes. Make Soldat into a franchise. Warp the cult following he has and destroy the closed sense of a community we have created over the creation of one man.

I will admit, Soldat is amazing. It's an awesome game and approximately six thousand people can't be wrong, but making Soldat into a commercial product would ruin the game, not to mention that I seriously doubt today's graphic-oriented gamer would hop on the Soldat bandwagon.

I believe Soldat has a lot of bugs to fix and features to implement before one can even consider commercialization.

bb_vb
January 18, 2005, 10:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiMaybe the Ouden (http://www.ouden.cjb.net/) guys could make it, if they started developing everything cross-platform.

*curses at the thought of more work*

The only problem is that we're using OpenGL, and XBox uses DirectX. I spose eventually it might be a possibility, but I can't see it happening for quite a while.

But I don't see any reason a soldat-like couldn't be made for the XBox, if that was its intended platform from the beginning. It would no doubt increase the popularity of the genre qiute dramatically.