( search forums )
what is and what isn't cheating
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Snowden
February 22, 2005, 4:11 am
man, i'm so sick and tired of being accused of cheating on public servers. even experienced players don't seem to know what they're talking about when they accuse someone of cheating.

flying around very rapidly in an unnatural way (speedhacking) IS cheating. when someone is using this cheat, it's very obvious that they are. however, just because someone moves quicker than you does not mean they are cheating, it could mean they are more skilled at movement than you. speedhacking should not be confused with warping.
infinite ammo and very rapid fire IS cheating.
autoaim for weapons or grenades IS NOT cheating since it DOES NOT EXIST.
shooting through a wall or lobbing a nade through a wall IS NOT cheating. you can shoot through polygons if they are thin enough, and there are many areas in the default maps where this is possible. wallhack cheats DO NOT EXIST and if you think someone is wallhacking it's either LAG or your IMAGINATION.
hitting someone directly (like with a M79 or barret) but it doesn't kill them IS NOT cheating. this is LAG, welcome to the Internet! invincibility cheats DO NOT EXIST. if you keep shooting someone but they don't die then the SERVER IS PAUSED, moron!
dying from invisible bullets or nades IS NOT cheating. this is LAG, welcome to the Internet! or they came from far away.
rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting so it's almost impossible to kill IS NOT cheating. it's A BUG, and if you see it happening, it's from YOUR END. restart Soldat.
someone on the red team wearing blue clothes or vice versa IS NOT cheating. it's A BUG, and if you see it happening, it's from YOUR END. restart Soldat.
being headless IS NOT cheating and anyone can do it.
entering polygons IS NOT cheating. specifically, if someone is on the roof of ctf_Death or Bunker they aren't cheating. an old cheat allowed people to go through any wall, but i'm pretty sure that's been patched. on any map it is possible to accidentally be shot into a polygon and get stuck.
spawnkilling IS NOT cheating. spawnkilling is a part of the game and is easy to avoid. and there is a difference between spawnkilling and spawncamping. spawncamping is where a TEAM stays at the enemies base repeatedly spawnkilling. this happens when the TEAMS ARE INBALANCED, either in skill or manpower.
sometimes a person may appear to warp around the screen and be harder to kill. this seems to be a result of lag or packet loss, even though their ping seems to be decent. usually the warper DOES NOT KNOW they are doing it. as a general measure, warping IS NOT cheating. but it may be possible for people to intentionally lag themselves to get an advantage.
finally, having huge scores, winning repeatedly, and general ownage IS NOT neccesarily due to cheating. it could be because you're more noob than you thought.

so, let's see here. there's only 2 real cheats/hacks in this game, and they are very easy to identify. please think twice before opening your piehole and accusing someone of cheating.

Marbire
February 22, 2005, 4:16 am
Sick of being accused of cheating?

Welcome to the internet.

Btw, Wall hacks exist... invincibility hacks exist... and probably a lot more. Whether or not they were patched in the latest version, I wouldn't know.

Gen0cide
February 22, 2005, 4:17 am
Wallhacking does exist.
Except usually it's server side or the person is auto-banned two seconds after because they glitch out.
But yeah mostly true :P

lieroguy
February 22, 2005, 4:24 am
Oftentimes, I've been called a cheater, but I think the person who calls me that doesn't honestly think I'm cheating, he's just being a prick. I very, very rarely see cheating in the servers I hang out in.

Snowden
February 22, 2005, 4:29 am
i'm talking about the latest version, 1.2.1. and in previous versions i've never witnessed true wallhacking or invincibility, personally

Psyl3ntShad0w
February 22, 2005, 4:45 am
I've seen some wall hacking...(at least I'm fairly confident it was...as I just did some testing on it, initally I thought it was the thin poly bug where you can shoot thru, but this was not the case after my tests)...it was kind of funny...because the guy that was wall hacking was accusing me of speed hacking... -.-

I guess most of them haven't seen the superman video where there are a ton of nades and you fly supafast...

Niff
February 22, 2005, 4:53 am
You need to stop raping the iiNet servers, Snowden :P

And I got accused of cheating yesterday because I killed the host. -_-'

mar77a
February 22, 2005, 5:11 am
Emm, i have some bad news for you, Auto-Aim does exist, sorry, *cries*...

AerialAssault
February 22, 2005, 5:19 am
how would autoaim even work tho, you have to lead your shots so much.

reckon
February 22, 2005, 5:21 am
Wouldnt be too hard in close combat with various weapons.
Of course at farter distances it wouldnt mean too much, perhaps being a burden then.

Aegis
February 22, 2005, 6:02 am
quote:Btw, Wall hacks exist... invincibility hacks exist... and probably a lot more. Whether or not they were patched in the latest version, I wouldn't know.

Invincibility is impossible unless you are the host of a non-dedicated server.
Health is tracked serverside AFAIK.

I've personally never seen a wall hack(shooting through walls), but theorhetically it might be possible.

Autoaim: Cant be done AFAIK - This is possible in FPS like CS only because the scripting power as part of modability. Auto-aim's calculate vectors for you mathamatically and correct your aim for it. You can't do this in soldat without a thoroughly huge amount of work involving debugging, and this makes it not worth it, because you could perfect aim on a gun faster.

I'd have to see proof of autoaim or invincibility in dedicated servers that wasn't lag :)

MercyM
February 22, 2005, 8:32 am
quote:Originally posted by Snowden

flying around very rapidly in an unnatural way (speedhacking) IS cheating.

Sometimes it isn't, if the server's not dedicated. And you shoot the admin, that gives some extra boost for him, that is a bug

February 22, 2005, 9:24 am
I agree with you. Autoaim will not exist. And i suffer from lag, but i live with it. And high scores aren't caused by cheating, they're caused by experienced players that can seriously whoop you.

Having a bad day in soldat? We dont care

mar77a
February 22, 2005, 2:33 pm
I can assure Auto-Aim exists. I once entered a server from Chile, where the player was testing his cheats. We where playing inf_Warehouse, the guy was blue and i was red. He had a Barret, when i first flied into the blue base i was shot in the head. This repeated several times. Then i got tired and i told him: "Do you use AutoAim?", and he told me: "Yes". I said "I can't believe it". And he answered: "Im still testing it". You could see how the guy was standing there looking at the ground and suddenly turned and shot you in the head. I remember they where always headshots. He was like the Terminator bot, kinda.

Deleted User
February 22, 2005, 3:03 pm
I have already written up a list of hacks and how to tell whether someone is hacking or not. If you guys need to determine if someone is hacking, you can view the list here.

damnnation
February 22, 2005, 4:27 pm
autoaim for weapons or grenades IS NOT cheating since it DOES NOT EXIST
EUHMM!! WRONG!! i know someone (not gonna say who) that has it, he hes jus needs to shoot close to you and it always hits(de's,spas,ruger,m79,barret), it also has 3hits kill for auto's (mp5,ak,steyr,minimi,minigun) how i know ??? we did a match up to10 kills and with another gun every round

Melba
February 22, 2005, 4:31 pm
Well warping aka packet loss will always look like speedhacking to me if their ping is decent.

If i know the player, i'll know it isnt speedhacking, but if i don't ill try and vote kick him.

Deleted User
February 22, 2005, 4:37 pm
The Hulk Jump can sometimes be considered a wall-hack because of what it does to the Soldat. Blasting him around, sometimes into the air, sometimes through walls.

Marbire
February 22, 2005, 5:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by AegisInvincibility is impossible unless you are the host of a non-dedicated server.
Health is tracked serverside AFAIK.

I've personally never seen a wall hack(shooting through walls), but theorhetically it might be possible.

I've been playing for a long time and I can tell you invincibility hacks HAVE been possible. I haven't for a long time though, so they probably aren't now.

As for wallhacks, I saw them all the time prior to 1.2. It wasn't exactly shooting though walls, it was just walking through them. So on on like kampf for example, you could walk through the bottom, and keep on capping.

As for an Auto Aim Hack, I have never ever seen one of these. I have, however, been accused of using one several times :\. I doubt it's possible.

DeMonIc
February 22, 2005, 6:16 pm
In theory, aimhacks aim above the shoe..but I doubt it's possible. Some whiny dolts however will accuse good aimers with using aimbots..heck, they'll even say they had aimbots just to prove it.It ain't possible. Just ain't. As for wallhacks, I believe 1.2.1's map downloading system put an end to that.

BManx2000
February 22, 2005, 6:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Snowdenyou can shoot through polygons if they are thin enough, and there are many areas in the default maps where this is possible.
Actually, this was fixed in 1.2.1.

Deleted User
February 22, 2005, 6:53 pm
No it wasn't. Check CTF-Voland.

Melba
February 22, 2005, 9:11 pm
also arena

eesahe
February 22, 2005, 9:39 pm
Hey, eesahe's back here once again :)

To the topic, someone is calling me a hacker really more than once in a week (Usually they say I have infinite bullets. They just don't seem to notice me reloading very frequently). I've been playing before 1.05b, but haven't seen very many hackers.

There were some in 1.05b, but in 1.1 they seemt to disappear. Just before 1.2.1 went out, I saw many hackers. Mostly they were using a cheat to be always in berserker mode. I remember a server which I entered, and soon discovered he was using a cheat. I still owned him, because he wasn't that good as a player. *HE* started to accuse me of cheating, and finally banned me :)

So, I think you guys are imaging too much. I bet that 80% of the "cheaters" dont really cheat - they just look like it because of lag, luck or skill (Or all of them ;)).

Kill the cheaters!

Aegis
February 23, 2005, 6:25 am
quote:I'd have to see proof of autoaim or invincibility in dedicated servers that wasn't lag :)

Ofcourse, it's still against forum rules to post the proof to some of these kinds of things, so really don't. But I've made my point, and I agree that it is proably imagination/lag for most reports.

It is really quite hard to make a large variety of hacks for Soldat, and I haven't actually seen a hacker in a long time, but then I dont play public stuff near as often as I did.. Only people acusing eachother and spamming the votekick option is pretty prevalent, which saddens me because it happens even in SUS-U13 servers(though the kick never goes through)

February 24, 2005, 8:01 am
oh yeah, btw, a resourceful MP5 user can be mistaken for a haxx0r. If the mp5 user carried 2 mp5s, the n00b in charge would say, U HAXX0r and then kick ban u. Notice how n00bs start servers and if they start whining, they ban you? Also, being banend for no reason can be annoying. some servers accuse everyone of cheating and all the f***ing noobs keep kicking you, even though they haven't seen you play or they just hate you cos you have a beta score.

Dathker
February 24, 2005, 5:55 pm
If Snoweden is owning me, THAT IS cheating.
;) @ snoweden, you know i luv you though <3