( search forums )
The Ouden Project
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Elephant_Hunter
April 20, 2005, 4:16 am
http://dyn.u13.net:6080/host/cp/forum/

I saw that it got very far and came to a halt. What happened?

Regardless... I want to start the project back up. Get the programmers back to work and the forums active. This was beginning to be a major development and there is so much potential. MM was even posting there regularly.

Did you hear Michal Marcinkowski when he said, "There might be a Soldat 2, but I won't be making it."? That means that we would have to develop one, folks. Your dreams of Soldat becoming an open source and multi-platform game are never going to happen unless you help to build it.

wormdundee
April 20, 2005, 4:36 am
yeh, ive been going there regularly

after i came back from spring break it seemed to have slowed down quite a bit

Elephant_Hunter
April 20, 2005, 4:40 am
bb_vb seemed to be the driving force. He doesn't get on MSN or anything. What's up with that?

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 5:29 am
bb_vb is usually very busy away from the forums, but when he does return, he brings good results and work to show how hard he's coding (unlike me. =\ )

I would love to bring some more focus to the project. We have a lot of work done with the GUI and that's a major step in the right direction. However, a lot of the faith in the project was lost as time went on and a certain someone's spurs as well as my relative inactivity didn't help.

Meandor
April 20, 2005, 3:24 pm
uh, i'm still there.

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 8:40 pm
I <3 u Meandor.

Perhaps what the project really needs is a major revamp with its planning. A bit more direction and more specific details would help bring the game around.

wormdundee
April 21, 2005, 12:04 am
yes, it seemed there was some people (i.e. me) who didn't really know what we were supposed to be doing specifically

that is of course, partly my fault too

Deleted User
April 21, 2005, 12:06 am
Well, then that clutches it, I suppose. I'm going to sit down and write up as much of a roadmap as possible; not the vague roadmap I designed. I hope to include all the specifications we discussed, such as resolution and character sizes, etc, and pin down some of the more important matters that left everyone dangling so. I'll post it up on the Ouden forums; it sha'nt take me but a few moments to write.

Edit: The Roadmap has been re-written. Tell me if there's any gaps left and I'll fill them post-haste.

Beren
April 21, 2005, 2:49 am
Um, this might be spam, but I just wanted to say you guys are my heros, and I have the deepest admiration for what you do. Anyway, I'll let you get back to your unfathomable work.

Elephant_Hunter
April 21, 2005, 4:03 am
Thanks Beren. Lapis_Lazuli (aka Sirius Terran) and bb_vb were the inspiring start of Ouden. They have done all of the programming so far as I know.

Lapis, do you use any instant messenging software at all? It'd be nice to have contact with one of the other developers.

peemonkey
April 21, 2005, 4:06 am
hope you fellas come through with a great product. need any small pixel-art? im gettin up there in that level of skills. along with sounds, though i only use 'sound recorder'

offtopic(dont make a post just to answer this, but if you could, thanks.)
anyone know any good, powerful sound editors with lotsa doodads?

Deleted User
April 21, 2005, 5:37 am
Elephant_Hunter:

I use MSN, my MSN is SiriusTerran@hotmail.com , unfortunately my mom has bought into the get rich quick scheme of Ebay, so I may not be on during the day all that often. Usually, around eight-ten in the evening is the "online-time" I get. =\

Elephant_Hunter
April 21, 2005, 5:46 am
What time zone? I live in Phoenix, AZ.

peemonkey: I'm not a sound guy, but does Fruityloops sound familiar?

Deleted User
April 21, 2005, 7:15 am
That'd be Central time, Elephant Hunter. If for any reason you can't contact me, feel free to send me a PM on the forums.

js92647
June 15, 2005, 10:07 am
School has the best of me. I have 1 1/2 weeks left until it's fully done, and then, i am back into action :)

hock3y
June 21, 2005, 8:42 pm
Keep it up guys, If I could help with the programming or development I would. I'm interested in helping you make a website though. I saw on the roadmap that is needed, and I could supply all of those things listed there.

Pixofied
June 22, 2005, 7:13 pm
If no-one minds, i'd like to help out. Graphically, and also like too learn some C++ while ime there (source?).

- I'll take alook around.

Muskaman
July 3, 2005, 4:48 am
I can also help with some of the art...
I've been fiddling with msPaint for, like 4 1/2 years now (yes, I have a TON of free time), and have gotten quite good at it (at least when it comes to the smaller pictures, once I get in the field of like 320 x 240, the detail kinda begins to fade). I've also been doing some msPaint animations, and getting pretty good at that also. If you want a sample of it, I can send you my Numa Numa dance spoof (performed by a stick figure) I made a while ago, it's pretty good. Oh yeah, I also did the Red Death mod on SoldatMods. Some of the weapons are kinda crappy (cuz I was running low on time and patience), but most look decent enough (I also did some sound-work on the minigun and the dual pistols, which are replaced by the backup pistol, only it's in 2x-burst mode). The interface is ok, but I have a newer version on my home pc you would enjoy a lot better. Hope to help any way I can!

Drama
July 3, 2005, 2:47 pm
I can help with web, im pretty good with PHP.

Im also learning C++ and OpenGL, so id be interested learning something about the project and possibly later on contribute.

Deleted User
July 5, 2005, 10:35 am
dont think this is still alive...

(noooo, no soldat 2!!!)

bb_vb
July 7, 2005, 11:38 am
It's alive, just going a bit slowly. Things are starting to come together with the rewrite, and like I keep saying in the Ouden forums, soon you will be able to see some cool stuff ;)

wormdundee
July 7, 2005, 5:03 pm
Yes yes, it is for sure still going.

As bb_vb said, once all the coding type stuff is done, that's when the artists will jump in and you'll be able to see something.

Although I already like the beauty of the physics tests :D

Deleted User
July 7, 2005, 6:50 pm
Wow, I thought you guys had disappeared.

Can't wait to see some advance in the project, I love the whole idea :D

i am ahab
July 7, 2005, 11:19 pm
*bangs the drum of war*

heave! ho!

i look forward with joy in my heart to seeing the fruits of your labour kindred brothers. alas, i fear much time shall yet pass....

Deleted User
July 8, 2005, 11:08 pm
yay it lives, good luck in coding (Has the fraze "Hello world!" been relesed over there?)

Cry havoc and let loose the art desingers of ouden!!!

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 1:04 pm
OK..

you guys need artists?

I have done stuff for a couple of unreal 2004 mod teams, along with a few small comercial projects...

I have dreamed of helping with a soldat re-make....

my dream used OGRE for the rendering engine( Dynamic lighting would ROCK!),
newton for the physics engine....

development can all be done with open source / free applications..

anyways.. reguardless, if you guys need some artists, please let me know and I will submit some of my work...

Deleted User
August 6, 2005, 4:24 pm
Ouden has, for the moment, essentially slowed to a standstill. I still wish to complete the project, but at the moment I do not have time to code for the project myself. I am still taking classes on programming, computer electronics and technology, and all that goodness. Right now though, real life has a lot of higher-priorities I must tend to.