( search forums )
Respawntime by Map / Spawning (Suggestions)
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
grand_diablo
June 14, 2005, 11:41 am
1. As I already suggested by PM some months ago, it would be sexy, if the (wave)respawn could be set differently for each map, because not map has the same size and circumstances.

This could be solved by an entry in the server's ini file called "Respawn_Server=". If its set to "1", the respawn time values in the ini will be used for all maps (means: all maps have the same respawn time), if its set to 0, each map can have a different respawn time. Maybe the tick value could be entered into and read out from the mapslist.txt somehow.

2. I think in team modes, each players should have to wait 1x the full respawntime at the mapstart before they spawn the first time. This would eliminate the disadvantage of those people, who need a bit longer to join or load at a map's start + it would give ppl some seconds to prepare and chose their weapon/s.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 14, 2005, 2:25 pm
1. I thought about this but didn't find time to do it.

2. This would be complicated I think...

Chakra`
June 14, 2005, 2:54 pm
I think what would be better, is a dynamic respawn time depending on the amount of players per team.

Ever done 16 players on Kampf with 'average' 5 sec respawn? You somehow kill a few guys, your teams taken a few hits, you get to the enemy base and you're got 3/4 of them respawning around you. One helluva welcome wagon.

And when there's just 2-4 people in a server but it's set to a 10 second respawn, more often than not they ain't gonna hang around after a few deaths :| ...especially on ctf_run.

So yeah...quite simply, how about a minimum spawn time setting for when just 1-2 players are present, then from that mark, an extra 1-2 seconds is added per player that's joined, or deducted for when a player leaves?

just my two cents. Was thinking about it yesterday but didn't wanna hassle big daddy Mkowski.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 14, 2005, 3:01 pm
Well that is how it works Chakra, it's just that server admins set the maximum respawn time to 2 seconds or sth. I can't help that, it's something I really don't like on public servers.

grand_diablo
June 14, 2005, 4:55 pm
I prefer an option to set respawntime in the mapslist. On public servers it doesnt matter that much, but you would be able to find a good respawn time by the possible max. amount of players on the serv with that. Additionally most ctf cws for example are 3on3, and setting different spawntimes for each map for would simply rock the house :)

Iiiiiimplemeeeent thaaaaaat :p

Chakra`
June 14, 2005, 5:51 pm
Really Michal? ..jeez that sucks. I always thought all those servers were just using default stats :|

..maybe limit the maxrespawntime to a minimum? Might help the game flow a little more competitively.

grand_diablo
June 14, 2005, 6:11 pm
nah, no default minimum. the most important pubs use 4 seconds, which is fine for most maps, yet smaller and straighter maps like Voland could need less, while others could need more etc. If a public server's settings are messed, ppl wont play there, so the serveradmins usually learn :p