( search forums )
Ruger
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
June 17, 2005, 5:46 pm
For the sake of simplicity, let us all maketh individual weapon balance threads focused on one particular weapon.

This one, evidently, is about the Ruger.

My beliefs are well believed among others it seems so far. The ruger is a little 'too' good with the bink now removed.

Back in 1.2.1, I think ruger was almost always 2 shots for a kill. Now it 'can' be 3 shots if no head shots are made. I'm not entirely certain, but I think it would be fair to keep it this way.

But, most definitely, bring the bink back. I tried messing with the weapons editor, slapped it on 20, and my shots went about 45 degrees off target at times. What was it before?

Bugs Revenge
June 17, 2005, 6:28 pm
YAY, He's used my idea of topic for each weapon ^_^
yeah, indeed the ruger is overpowered now..
hmm, one way to reduce its power is by making the ruger's shots slower..
is it called accurecy?
and brining the bink back? well, I don't realy care about it but some of the ruger users just stopped using it in the last version since of the bink..

Michal Marcinkowski
June 17, 2005, 6:29 pm
My question is: was it too powerful in version 1.1.x, 1.2.0? Because it didn't have bink and it had more damage than now.

Bugs Revenge
June 17, 2005, 6:31 pm
Errr... I can't remember too much ruger users in those days BUT...
in those versions not the M79, nor the barret had the bink
so if you nerf some of the guns, you gotta nerf them all.
else some of them would be overpowered - as u see the ruger now.

Chakra`
June 17, 2005, 6:48 pm
was thinking that myself mike. 1.1.5 seems so far away...

But as I remember, it was by far the third most used weapon after the obviously popular barret and the highly esteemed m79. Possibly because real mode was fading off at the time, and alot of real mode players were strict rugerers that made the necessary migration to normal mode for their Soldat fix. It was certainly too powerful vs most non-1shot weapons, and was considered the most handy anti-1-shot weapon next to the DE's. Balance wasn't much of an issue back then though, seeing as everyone pretty much used the same weapons.

Come 1.2 when the other weapons got an edge on the game, the issue of overall balance became more important. I think alot of peeps jumped first to aug [from ruger] to keep ahead of people, seeing as it has a similiar aim, but ruger was a little overpowerful though not to much complaint. I think DE's saw more complaints really. Was there many ruger'rs back in 1.2?

But anyhow, in this beta ruger is already fairly frowned upon. I have to stop myself pressing 6 on the weapon menu before I piss people off.

Sekushi
June 17, 2005, 7:41 pm
I agree on the bink. 3 shots (meaning you would have 75% accuracy a clip) to kill a guy is a little too much.

MisterX
June 17, 2005, 7:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiMy question is: was it too powerful in version 1.1.x, 1.2.0? Because it didn't have bink and it had more damage than now.

In my mind it was. I guess in 1.1.5 the Ruger still had this strange aiming, where you only had to point the gun 45° to the enemy to have a perfect accuracy. Because of this easyness in aiming and it's strengh it was too strong, imho.
But as I mentioned before, perhaps it'd be a solution to make Ruger only be affected by bink when being shot by specific weapons. Bink itself is ok, but it makes Ruger mostly worthless against a good steyr'er, since he can hit with nearly every bullet if he's good, and then for the ruger'er it's simply impossible to hit.

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 11:30 am
quote:Originally posted by MisterXit makes Ruger mostly worthless against a good steyr'er, since he can hit with nearly every bullet if he's good, and then for the ruger'er it's simply impossible to hit.

But at the moment Ruger is so good, at long range it can kill the Steyr'er in 2 shots before they even click their left mouse button..bink would fix this imo

Michal Marcinkowski
June 18, 2005, 1:13 pm
How much bink, the same as in 1.2.1 or less?

grand_diablo
June 18, 2005, 1:15 pm
i guess the same like in 1.2.1 should be fine, now that it does less damage

Bugs Revenge
June 18, 2005, 2:59 pm
just a bit bit bit less then the 1.2.1 in my oppinion.

Chakra`
June 18, 2005, 3:24 pm
Well bink was exactly 15 in the weapons.ini back in 1.2.1 (m79 is now binked at 15 in this beta) . I'd believe anywhere between 12-16 bink to be great for the ruger.

Chakra`
July 14, 2005, 1:32 pm
So any new ideas for ruger? I'm content with it remaining as it currently is, but can anyone think up a fair balance where bink isn't involved?

The less binked non-autos there are, the less dominance sprayer's have, and hopefully a better balance is achieved.

(in theory)

grand_diablo
July 14, 2005, 1:51 pm
I guess when the auto problem gets solved by recoil/selfbink, the ruger's chances to compete with em will be better -> more balanced