( search forums )
Spas shotgun
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
June 17, 2005, 5:51 pm

A satisfying weapon for obvious reasons: it kicks ass up close and, with luck, you can storm through a god damn army with it.

It's a tad powerful though at mid range. 1 well-placed shot is enough to bring your health down to 1/5th, and a second inaccurate shot is all it takes.

Very satisfying though :D

But yeah, me and Demonic think: keep the damage ( a shotgun 'should' be powerful ) , but lower the ROF to maybe even half what it is now.

Agree?

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 5:58 pm
Well, I think it's supposed to be a semi-automatic shotgun for a reason, but maybe giving it some self-inflicted bink (a.k.a. recoil) or spread variation with the bullet spray.

Bugs Revenge
June 17, 2005, 6:21 pm
ROF - Range of fire right?
yeah I agree with Chak then, it's shoting too far for a shotgun ^_^

Chakra`
June 17, 2005, 6:33 pm
'Rate' of fire actually. ie: the firing interval.

Surely the shotty's range is adequate seeing as it's so relatively difficult to be accurate from so far?
Beside's reducing it's range won't help much on it's mid-range destruction.

Anyhow, lapis is correct in that it's semi-automatic. Spread variation sounds cool, but if not possible I still think it could go a slower fire interval.

June 17, 2005, 6:47 pm
I think that falling pellets from the shotgun do too much damge. Those that hit from a metre away from the barrel should do way more damage in comparison to those that have fallen a short distance.

Sekushi
June 17, 2005, 7:42 pm
I don't think the ROF should be reduced by 50%, maybe 25%. But it does need to be reduced. It's hard to pump out 7 shells at that rate with a real shotgun.

MisterX
June 17, 2005, 7:50 pm
And again... realism is TOTALLY uninteresting in Soldat Sekushi ;) Still what I think that should be changed is how powerful it is on smaller distances. I always thought that Spas is very weak compared to the other primaries, but after having used it some time I knew I was wrong. In fact imho it is too strong in close combat, since you can, as Chakra said, kill many persons this way. But I like it's ROF. If it is decreased, it shouldn't be decreased too much imho, since that's what I think that makes it be able to compete with other primary weapons. If it was only useful in close combat it would be too different and then again, too weak imho.
I'm not sure how to make it weaker but still keep it good. As I said, I'd say it needs to be less powerful in combat at really small distances. But than again, it shouldn't be weaker on longer distances, since it needs some "skill" to be able to hit from middle to high distance.

Deleted User
June 17, 2005, 8:44 pm
Most shotguns have a distance-based spread variation due to the fact that most shotguns have shorter barrels (compared to say, a rifle). This is especially true of a shotgun like the Spas, which is relatively short barreled and seemingly a light-weight weapon.

My idea is that instead of producing a fountain of bullets that arc, as it does now, try giving the shotgun a "spread" fire type; some bullets leave the barrel high, others low, and they all arc, sort of like a flak gun but on a very minimal scale.

The way it is now, it seems like one large bullet that eventually crumbles into several. With a small spread factor, close-range attacks would still be lethal, preserving the Spas' deadly close-combat ability, and it'd be used less as a means to weaken enemies downhill or farther away because of the bullet spread.

FliesLikeABrick
June 17, 2005, 11:25 pm
the shotgun is limited by it's distance and i think modifying the spas at all is completely un-necessary

Kazuki
June 18, 2005, 12:01 am
I completely agree with Brick. I don't think the spas is at all overpowered. It's limited by distance and the fact that it pushes you back.

grand_diablo
June 18, 2005, 12:06 am
im fine with the spas too

MisterX
June 18, 2005, 5:35 am
Oh, you wouldn't know how far the Spas can shoot. But then again the spread on longer distances is quite far/big.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 18, 2005, 1:11 pm
I always thought that Spas is overpowered but I never seem to win with it (?). I think it's good as it is.

Bugs Revenge
June 18, 2005, 3:01 pm
hmm, it's just a matter of training...
People which are skilled enough with the spas could pwn with it badly.

KnOt
June 18, 2005, 7:43 pm
Unless there's some open space, it's overpowered. Yet... are you sure you removed bink on it Michal? I had a little duel with bugsy .. I used spas and he used mp5.. It was a small map , so I won.. but I found that it was a lot harder to was sometimes harder to aim while being shot at.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 19, 2005, 11:31 am
Maybe because the Mp5 gives you big kick so you were bouncing a lot.