( search forums )
Socom
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
June 17, 2005, 7:38 pm

Did a little bit of testing with Sekushi.

Thanks to the marvel of knowing your teammates health in percentage, and friendly fire, we estimate that

the average body shot on a socom is 21% damage. Headshot is 26%.
Usually takes around 4-6 shots to kill someone then.

My personal opinion? reduce it by a very small amount. Socom should still be useful, but it's as useful as a primary weapon right now. That ain't quite right.

Sekushi
June 17, 2005, 7:50 pm
Agreed. The soccom is taking on primaries as if it were a primary itself. Needs to be lowered a bit.

m00`
June 17, 2005, 11:00 pm
just leave it alone, the weapon balance is good right now and its not like the socom is terribly accurate anyway and its not an auto, of couse it deserves more dmg....

Chakra`
June 17, 2005, 11:13 pm
m00, if we left the game to you, the socom would be a one hit kill ¬_¬ ...why you love that little gun so much?

grand_diablo
June 17, 2005, 11:17 pm
Well, its got a distance disadadvantage, but I agree, a slight decrease of its power would be ok.

N1nj@
June 17, 2005, 11:18 pm
Chakra: It seems like to me you think every weapons in Soldat right now is overpowered or too strong. And if what you think is true, then there is no need for a change. Since this "overpower" weapons will neutralize each other making the weapons balance.

n00bface
June 17, 2005, 11:22 pm
yes all the weapons are fine and we now have a more advanced weapons editor. leave the balancing up to the official leagues, weapon balance is all a matter of opinion and no matter what the balance will always be biased.

FliesLikeABrick
June 17, 2005, 11:24 pm
IMHO the difference between a body shot and a headshot should be greater than 5%. stand still while i shoot you in the chest, then in the head, tell me which one does more dam---- oh nvm.

Cookie.
June 17, 2005, 11:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by SekushiAgreed. The soccom is taking on primaries as if it were a primary itself. Needs to be lowered a bit.

Silence Law whore ;)

The Soccom is just fine right now in my opinion as it is already underused. Lowering its damage will make it as common as a chainsaw! :P

Chakra`
June 18, 2005, 12:06 am
despite the weapons editor we now have, balance issues are still important guys.

Don't forget we already 'have' a simplified weapons editor in 1.2.1. A few servers have actually gone the lengths of using it, but the majority do not. This may likely stay this way even after 1.2.2 .
People rely on the vanilla balance from Soldat.

Hence we're here, talking about balance, once again....but this time with the advantage of being able to test differences ourselves!
Where Michal has spent years attempting to tweak Soldat to a universally approved balance, we can come close to achieve in weeks.

And where on earth do you get the opinion that I think every weapon is overpowered? It's not like I decide these things on my own...I talk to others about it, play games with people, with all there having balance issues specifically in mind to test.

So whether a perfect balance can be achieved or not (as judged by opinion), I think it's still worth a try, now that we can without having to hassle Michal over it come every beta.

Deleted User
June 18, 2005, 11:27 am
Give Socom bink.

I reckon that'd sort it out.

Bugs Revenge
June 18, 2005, 12:28 pm
"Give Socom bink."
No way...! it's just like giving the DE \ autoguns bink..
that wouldn't be fair at all.

grand_diablo
June 18, 2005, 1:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickIMHO the difference between a body shot and a headshot should be greater than 5%. stand still while i shoot you in the chest, then in the head, tell me which one does more dam---- oh nvm.

I dont think so. Since the Soldiers are only a few pixels tall, and the netcode isnt the best, headshots are 90% based on luck than on skill, at least when you play online (i guess it should work on LAN). Because of that, I dont think the difference should be too great, maye a bit more than 5% but not too much.

Meandor
June 18, 2005, 3:24 pm
It makes no sense to lower it's damage, considering that knife and law are instagibs. Instead, if it is to be nerfed, I think that half a second should be added to the reload time. It currently is the fastest loading weapon in the game.

Cookie.
June 18, 2005, 4:44 pm
Thats the reason why I use it as a secondary though :'(

Chakra`
June 18, 2005, 4:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by MeandorIt makes no sense to lower it's damage, considering that knife and law are instagibs.

Good point guv. But i'm still not sure...it's as powerful as a primary weapon. In fact it does more damage than the ak74 bullet per bullet, and fires faster too.
Granted the other secondaries kill instananeously, but they're merely one-off weapons. See where i'm getting at?

I dunno guys...let's give it some thorough testing later today to be sure. I still think it's far too powerful, statistics or not as it is.

Clan war tonight?

Michal Marcinkowski
June 18, 2005, 6:46 pm
It doesn't matter that it does more damage than the ak74 bullet per bullet, the bullets are slower and you can't fight on distance with it. I feel the Socom is good as is.

m00`
June 19, 2005, 12:01 am
yah see, socom is good as it is!

DeMonIc
June 19, 2005, 8:36 am
Okay, but I'd like to point out something: in 1.2.1 autos didn't own that much in 1v1 standards.. see, I don't want to fight a clanwar against 2 socoms :\

Michal Marcinkowski
June 19, 2005, 11:38 am
Arrange a duel with someone: Socom vs. any other weapon, and tell me what were the results.

m00`
June 19, 2005, 12:25 pm
i doubt that will prove very much michal, it depends on how well you use the 'other weapon'

Cookie.
June 19, 2005, 4:08 pm
I think I could take someone in a duel with a Soccom.... but I also think it would be just as easy using a law rocket or a knife

KnOt
June 19, 2005, 6:29 pm
Depends on the size of the map. Anyway, I think that a gun that's supposed to 'finnish people off' shouldn't be that powerful, yet it should have more range ..