( search forums )
Soldat Mapping Bible
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Soap
June 22, 2005, 2:27 pm
I'm back to Soldat mapping after a long 14 month leave. Hello.

A few days ago, I started working on a new Soldat website, the Soldat Mapping Bible. I have not seen many comprehensive help files or faqs anywhere, so I am going to include information on EVERYTHING to do with Soldat mapping.

My site is going to be extremely comprehensive. I've already finished articles on waypointing, polygonal placement and some custom scenery production.

If there are any special mapping techniques you would like me to compile into the SMB, I would very much appreciate it if you include them here. I can write an article on them if you wish. I do not want to miss out on anything for this guide.

Examples of "special mapping techniques" include:
* Tinting
* Trampoline polygons
* Realistic fog
* The infamous "teleporter" polygon (i don't know how this works)

Thank you for your help. I will credit all those who help out with this.

GluLm
June 22, 2005, 2:38 pm
Welcome back and good luck.
I think the available tutorials are already sufficient, but putting all your knowledge together with some others' too, this might be interesting.
Have you thought about making a Wiki? Not that it will solve much things anyway...

DerF-
June 22, 2005, 2:38 pm
Like when will site be released?

Soap
June 22, 2005, 2:44 pm
quote:Like when will site be released?

Haha, that's a good one. I don't set release dates so I don't miss deadlines.

Keron Cyst
June 22, 2005, 7:15 pm
*rofl* Nice! xD

FYI, teleportation is just extremely fast bouncing; copy & paste numerous polygons over another. Please also list all the good, fan-made map editors out there, and why you should download 'em (list their pros & cons). That'd rock ;-)

Vijchtidoodah
June 23, 2005, 3:36 am
If you want to save work on a shading section, I've got a pretty complete tutorial here

Michal
June 23, 2005, 4:27 am
Welcome back Soap. If you're interested, check out a new map editor "Soldat PolyWorks" (in my sig or check developer's corner)
Anyways, I think this mapping bible could turn out to be very useful.

Rambo_6
June 23, 2005, 5:17 am
IMO mapmaker Plus is the best out there so far. Polyworks will roxor the boxors, though.

If you need any help, you know where to look, soap :D

Keron Cyst
June 23, 2005, 6:37 am
But Soldat PolyWorks needs a readme with it! I haven't a clue how to do almost anything :-/

[/slightly off-topic]

Avarax
June 23, 2005, 9:59 am
hey Soap, it would be very nice if this page and #soldat.mapping on quakenet would be partners, so #soldat.mapping would be the official channel of this page. we currently have like 10 ppl in the channel that are usually online, and it really works fine, but we need more ;)

Cookie.
June 24, 2005, 1:31 am
quote:Originally posted by SoapI'm back to Soldat mapping after a long 14 month leave. Hello.

A few days ago, I started working on a new Soldat website, the Soldat Mapping Bible. I have not seen many comprehensive help files or faqs anywhere, so I am going to include information on EVERYTHING to do with Soldat mapping.

My site is going to be extremely comprehensive. I've already finished articles on waypointing, polygonal placement and some custom scenery production.

If there are any special mapping techniques you would like me to compile into the SMB, I would very much appreciate it if you include them here. I can write an article on them if you wish. I do not want to miss out on anything for this guide.

Examples of "special mapping techniques" include:
* Tinting
* Trampoline polygons
* Realistic fog
* The infamous "teleporter" polygon (i don't know how this works)

Thank you for your help. I will credit all those who help out with this.

The teleporting polygon is quite fun :) Through experimenting with it you can create some cool things like big explosions! gun transfers etc :P You can also create a fan like effect with them where if your character gets to close it accelerates them away with it

The map im trying to make right now involves many of these polygons put together to try and hover your soldat around a loop :) good fun lol

edit
it appears my y key stopped working for a brief moment lol