( search forums )
wanting to learn
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
sizz0rz
June 26, 2005, 7:58 am
Hey im wanting to learn how to program and make my own programs for soldat like you guys do I just dont know where to start. Can anyone guide me in the rite direction and give me an example of how to get a program to work with or along side soldat? Ive seen a lot of cool stuff like map makers server stat stuff etc etc etc if anyone can explain the basics and how things work id appreciate it, thx.

b00stA
June 26, 2005, 10:42 am
Before the crowd rushes in and argues about which programming language to start with ("VB SUCKS!" "SO DOES C++ FOR BEGINNERS" etc.)

First try to understand the basic algorithms needed in programming, then just pick whatever language you want: Visual Basic is nice to start, because you see results immediately, however it will kind of spoil you when you want to learn something else like C/CPP.
Maybe get a decent book.

Messenjah
June 26, 2005, 12:18 pm
Hm. I'd say start with Visual Basic, as it's an easy language, and as b00sta said, you see results immediately. Then moved to C++ or something along those lines. I learned a little bit of VB, then Java and now C++. I think that VB is good only because it gets you addicted to programming, and teaches you the basics easily (ie sequence, selection, iteration) but that's about all. To learn a 'real' programming language, move onto C++. I think Java was a waste of time. While it's easier than C++, it's limiting and teaches you a lot of bad habits. While C++ isn't *best* language (C is still much more elegant in the way it handles things, C++ has a lot of stuff tacked onto it that makes it look a little... messy.) it's a good language to learn the more advanced aspects of programming.

EDIT: I'd like to learn Pascal/Delphi. Where's a good place to start?

sizz0rz
June 26, 2005, 2:42 pm
Okay you guys kinda threw way too much at me at once lol

What language(s) do I need to learn to make multiple programs that are all different and can/will work with soldat?

How important is it to have the source code to make these programs?

I dont need to learn Delphi if the this game was written in it?

thx

KeFear
June 26, 2005, 2:48 pm
You don't have to write your programs in delphi to use with soldat. You can choose from a wide palette of programming languages ;) try using google for basics.

sizz0rz
June 26, 2005, 2:54 pm
Which languages are the best and or only that work with soldat?

After I learn the language how do I turn code into a program?

What is the importance of the source code when making an app?

Im a newb but I really want to learn and contribute to making my own ideas into programs that others may like as some others do.

thx

KeFear
June 26, 2005, 2:59 pm
Well, this forum is not ment to be a programming tutorial, sry.. i recommend you to search google for "programming basics" or something like that keyword. As far as i know, soldat can "work" with any language that supports internet and network protocols. There are some prog languages mentioned above, so i would say, pick one of it, and search google.

When you learn the language, you will know how to turn the code into a program.

Programming is based on source codes, which is then compiled into binary code, that can be understood by the computer. You can try programming in computer code, but i don't reccommend that ^^

sizz0rz
June 26, 2005, 3:13 pm
Only scripting I have ever done has been in mirc, ive made my own chat scripts for it. Would scripting programs for mirc and scripting a program for soldat be similar in anyway as far the overall concept?

I play bots a lot for practice, lets say I wanted to make it so my weapon is less powerful then the bots using the same weapon that way it would force me to learn the technique of that weapon very well in order to use it against this bot for practice. I could make a program using whatever code I wanted that would do this for me by using/learning the source code and using/learning writeing scripts in another language?

Hope that makes sense :/

Messenjah
June 26, 2005, 3:16 pm
Does soldat support any scrupting languages? ie LUA or Eggdrop?

b00stA
June 26, 2005, 4:12 pm
There are mIRC scripts for Soldat (I made a few myself), however you can hardly call it programming ;)
If you're good at mIRC scripting, then it won't be too much of a problem to learn something like Visual Basic.

Edit: No, you can't things like that. The weapons are the same for everyone and changing that would require "hacking" the game which is a whole different world again.

KeFear
June 26, 2005, 4:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by sizz0rz..lets say I wanted to make it so my weapon is less powerful then the bots using the same weapon that way it would force me to learn the technique of that weapon very well in order to use it against this bot for practice. I could make a program using whatever code I wanted that would do this for me by using/learning the source code and using/learning writeing scripts in another language?

What do you mean? You want a program that "learns" the technique for you to be more skilled with a specific weapon? Sounds like a "cheat" for me.... Or i may miss-understood something

sizz0rz
June 26, 2005, 4:35 pm
no I dont cheat or and would never use a program to its a game anyone who has to cheat in an online game to feel special has some inner issues, with that said lets say im going 1 on 1 with a bot and I want to have the same weapon as the bot but I want my weapon to do less damage then the bots weapon even though their the same weapon could I make a program like this? It would be more for me to practice with and since ill be practiceing shorthanded it should give me a little edge when it comes to game time and my weapons at stock power because I learned to use that weapon well enough even while it was underpowered, kinda like a boxer breaking a sweat before a big fight. If you know what im saying.

Could I make a program like this?

Drama
June 26, 2005, 4:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by sizz0rzOnly scripting I have ever done has been in mirc, ive made my own chat scripts for it. Would scripting programs for mirc and scripting a program for soldat be similar in anyway as far the overall concept?

I play bots a lot for practice, lets say I wanted to make it so my weapon is less powerful then the bots using the same weapon that way it would force me to learn the technique of that weapon very well in order to use it against this bot for practice. I could make a program using whatever code I wanted that would do this for me by using/learning the source code and using/learning writeing scripts in another language?

Hope that makes sense :/

Man, you can't modify soldat because it's NOT open source

b00stA
June 26, 2005, 4:44 pm
Start with something small. You can't do the stuff you just mentioned and you will start to understand that yourself when you start learning easier stuff. Small steps ..

Anna
June 26, 2005, 7:33 pm
[URL]

sizz0rz
June 27, 2005, 12:09 am
perfect, thx for the link anna

Deleted User
June 27, 2005, 12:37 am
im learning vb right now and its pretty simple, but dont let that limit you; many great programs have been written with vb. :D

SBaL
June 27, 2005, 4:31 am
I just started working on Python, a fairly new environment.
At first glance it has a bit of the look of ancient GW-Basic, a lot of it's simpleness too, but still very powerfull.
When I learn more I'll let you know.

kudos on the gamedev link btw :)
brings me a step closer into combining my AI studies with practical application

PopeJohnPaul_II
July 1, 2005, 9:06 am
Python is not for games. Well, the support out there isn't too great for games. It was used for some ToEE scripting and a slow SDL game. It's not much of a newbie-friendly language either. I'll change my stance when they have a full-blown WYSIWYG Windows IDE. I absolutely love the idea, especially with it being opensource and all, but it has an iffy future. Ruby falls in the same catagory.

Visual Basic is very nice. You might not understand the rest of this paragraph, sizz0rz, but start using it and you'll go far. Yeah, some older programmers say it teaches bad habits. Those people are clinging to the past. Variable declaration for many operations was more of a nuisance than anything. All those extra for-statement I, X and Q declarations didn't belong with the rest of my beautiful coding ;) I don't know much about the .NET thing, but I do know that interpreted programs are getting more popular.

dimitri
December 5, 2005, 3:54 pm
*jumps in*

Theres an excellent program for game making...its called game maker ( :P ) 6.1 . You can make excellent games for free but you can also register it and you get lots of useful functions. I think its an Excellent start for the wannabe programmer. its the first language i started with, it also helped me in school as i had to learn VB(yeah it sucks but so what :P ).

Heres your link young sir:
[URL]

Deleted User
December 5, 2005, 6:14 pm
[/shameless_advertising xD]

Anyway, the only language I've learned so far is called WDL, which is a proggramming language specific for this 3d game making program. Apparently its based on C though, so I'm off to a good start... :D