( search forums )
Slaughter Session 1
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Michal Marcinkowski
June 26, 2005, 6:32 pm
Post every bug, glitch you noticed today during the fragfest. Also oppinions on stuff (except weapon balance... another thread for that).

I got:
- invisible bullets
- server crash
- client crash (but I was running a different version that I compiled today)
- network play was great, very smooth for me, no missed shots etc.
- bodies were flying everywhere like it was hell (but that's is a nice thing :))

Deleted User
June 26, 2005, 7:01 pm
I got the server crash, obviously. Occasionally I shot someone with the barret or m79 and the shots did nothing, but other than that it ran pretty smoothly.

We should do this every friday and sunday. That game was really fun. And, we should play even when beta testing isn't on, it'll be fun if you keep playing with us, Michal ;)

grand_diablo
June 26, 2005, 8:02 pm
In that crazy 7on7 I got...

- invi bullets, though not as many as usual
- bodies extremely boosted when being killed by a minigun (sometimes that looked like a monstrous lag O.o)
- that RealLag adaption is kinda buggy. When recalculating the bullets starting position, it doesnt seem to take the players speed/moving direction and shooting direction into account, or at least not the first two of those three things.

Kazuki
June 26, 2005, 9:23 pm
This is probably a bugger, but we also concluded that the Desert Eagles are overpowered. It's very noticable.

I got invisible bullets as well. =|

Edit: But it would be awesome if we got to play with you every once in a while, Michal, like Stalky said.

Chakra`
June 26, 2005, 10:37 pm
Can't add much, other than invisible bullets here too.

I was chatting away and i saw my health decrease for no reason, but i heard the usual "fwp-fwp-fwp" of bullets hitting me. No predators were there either before you think that.

DeMonIc
June 26, 2005, 11:04 pm
Invisible bulletts.
The server didn't crash, dibo restarted it.

grand_diablo
June 26, 2005, 11:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcInvisible bulletts.
The server didn't crash, dibo restarted it.

aight, if it was that incident michal and co noticed, then it was my fault. Cause of some time differences and confusions, I estimated that the slaughter would start in half an hour when I set the serv to CW settings and restarted it.

Btw Michal, did you leave your packet settings like when you changed them for playing with 8 or less ppl? Cause that might have caused the one or another problem, like some major warping I sometimes experienced on Dropdown.

Outcast
June 26, 2005, 11:26 pm
Too bad i missed it...i had to mow 200 square meters of grass with a hand held mower on our vacation spot... :(

Alamo
June 26, 2005, 11:27 pm
I haven't played with you as I was in the next town eating ice cream with my family. I encounter a problem in every game I play though. To me (not to the others i guess) the pictures in the kill console are always off by one line.

[IMAGE]

Kazuki
June 27, 2005, 12:29 am
This is the same for me. I guess it wandered off my mind.

LazehBoi
June 27, 2005, 1:07 am
I think sometimes when I said something it wouldn't appear on my screen, but i'm pretty sure it appeared on other's.

Michal Marcinkowski
June 27, 2005, 11:51 am
<quote>
Btw Michal, did you leave your packet settings like when you changed them for playing with 8 or less ppl? Cause that might have caused the one or another problem, like some major warping I sometimes experienced on Dropdown
</quote>
Well I made it so that it is smoother for playing with 8 or less people, so there shouldn't be much warping. How much players were there on Dropdown?

<quote>
But it would be awesome if we got to play with you every once in a while, Michal, like Stalky said.
</quote>
Well I hope I can release a new beta until next week and we can play then.

grand_diablo
June 27, 2005, 1:29 pm
At the beginning of Dropdown it was 6v6 i think and most of the time about 5v5, so that might explain it.

Hercule Poirot
June 27, 2005, 2:06 pm
Well there was this sound bug on me (and Kazuki?) when i did have set sound and music volumes to 0% becouse i want to listen mp3 on winamp while playing and when we played even they was on 0% i did still hear minigun & law sounds.

Also i kinda hate this new taunt system when it send messages immediatly. I have taunts like "^Enemy incoming > UP < x" after x i type number of enemies but now it sends them right after i press certain keys and after that i have to say on team chat "2" to add number of enemies. Maybe some command to turn it on/off in soldat.ini could be usefull. :)

----
EDIT
----

Oh yeah DON'T TOUCH ON DESERT EAGLES!!! :D

grand_diablo
June 27, 2005, 4:34 pm
quote:
Also i kinda hate this new taunt system when it send messages immediatly. I have taunts like "^Enemy incoming > UP < x" after x i type number of enemies but now it sends them right after i press certain keys and after that i have to say on team chat "2" to add number of enemies. Maybe some command to turn it on/off in soldat.ini could be usefull. :)

As far as I remember, Michal said that this is going to be optional, so as you suggested with an option to turn it on/off :p

quote:
----
EDIT
----
Oh yeah DON'T TOUCH ON DESERT EAGLES!!! :D

Im a Deagle player myself and Im FOR nerfing them. Btw. this thread was ment to stay free from weapon discussions O.o

Michal Marcinkowski
June 28, 2005, 12:56 pm
quote:Also i kinda hate this new taunt system when it send messages immediatly. I have taunts like "^Enemy incoming > UP < x" after x i type number of enemies but now it sends them right after i press certain keys and after that i have to say on team chat "2" to add number of enemies. Maybe some command to turn it on/off in soldat.ini could be usefull. :)

Press T (for chat) and then use Alt+key. Is that good?

OK, maybe we should talk about weapon balance here. I think it is good, I had no problems with any of the weapons. I just got killed more by the Eagles than any other weapon. Do you think it is overpowered or just overused?

Deleted User
June 28, 2005, 1:30 pm
I think the Eagles and Ruger are overpowered.

Chakra`
June 28, 2005, 2:44 pm
Ruger has it's own topic. Overpowered it certainly is, but it's evened out by bink (which I think should be a little more than 15. Maybe 18-22). It's pretty much like the barret in that respect: kills quicker than most, but rendered helpless under fire.

Deagles on the other hand, do equivelent damage to ruger with no bink, and a larger clip. Though obviously faulted by they're relatively slow projectile speed, they're deadly up close.

Ruger does 66% damage per headshot, 49% per body shot.
DE's do 57% per 'upper body's shot, and 47% per lower body shot.

Basically they both boil down to 2 shot kills if one headshot is made, or 3 shot kills with no headshots.

My suggestions?
either reduce damage to 3-4 shots for DE's...
increase the reload time to that of an m79 (to emphasise loading two guns at once)
Or add bink.
Or even increase the aim's faultering when moving.

One of those should do it.

Soap
June 28, 2005, 2:57 pm
I noticed a lot of "phantom" body parts flying around once a while during the slaughter session; more often than I usually do, anyway. Occasionally when a player is gibbed, his body parts start levitating, then spinning around and fly around the level randomly, like they were possessed by some demon. I'm not necessarilly saying this is a bug, it is pretty tripped out, but does anyone know what causes this?

Michal Marcinkowski
June 29, 2005, 8:47 pm
Those "possessed" bodies were in Soldat from day one, I think I would have to rewrite a serious amount of code to fix that.

One thing bothers me: the deagles and ruger were even more powerful in versions 1.1.x but it didn't seem much of a problem. Was it just because the Barret was king back then?

Cookie.
June 29, 2005, 10:12 pm
Barret will always be king mwahaha...

Most likely back then the main focus was on barret deagles were alot less common

grand_diablo
June 29, 2005, 10:45 pm
no, other weapons were weakened quite a lot, which is good. if you compare them now, deagles are still too powerful, thats why the would deserve some nerfing.

Chakra`
June 29, 2005, 10:56 pm
Pretty much Michal. Back then weapon balance was technically more easier, seeing as everyone pretty much used about 4 weapons, excluding themselves from the relatively useless autos. It was all DE, ruger, barret and m79.

Barret ruled, m79 was the leet-man's choice, DE's were relatively difficult but kicked ass as well as the ruger, though merely challenging compared to the barret.