( search forums )
autodemo function suggestion
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
grand_diablo
July 3, 2005, 9:32 pm
Just a minor suggestion, hopefully easy to add :)

I think the autodemo fuction should not create the demos temporarily and overwrite them at next start, but shoud continuously save them. Or maybe make it optional whether just save them temporarily or continuously.

I often end up losing very good demos by forgetting to rename then and then they get overwritten, and generally Id prefer cleaning out my demo folder from time to time rather than having the recorded autodemos overwritten all the time.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 3, 2005, 10:29 pm
But it does save the demos continously if you press F8. Am I right?

grand_diablo
July 3, 2005, 10:37 pm
yeh it does, but I and many ppl I know simply forget that after the thrill of a clanwar, since there are only a few seconds when the result is displayed ;D

Michal Marcinkowski
July 4, 2005, 12:04 am
But it will take hundreds of MB. You can delete it, but what if you play Soldat for 24 hours straight?
And how will you find the demo you want if you have a lot of them, when you press F8 you'll probably remember which one was it.

KnOt
July 4, 2005, 1:17 am
Yeah, after I press F8 I try to remember the demo number..

Anyway, while we're on this topic, I would really like to be able to change the amount of time it takes before a demo gets overwritten.. I mean, lets say I've been playing for 9 minutes, and I do something cool, and record it.. I don't want to have to watch 9 minutes of bull(Please refrain from swearing) before I see it..

Michal Marcinkowski
July 4, 2005, 1:18 pm
But you can... Record_Time= in soldat.ini, doesn't it work?

EDIT: I think it's not working after all.

grand_diablo
July 4, 2005, 1:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiBut it will take hundreds of MB. You can delete it, but what if you play Soldat for 24 hours straight?
And how will you find the demo you want if you have a lot of them, when you press F8 you'll probably remember which one was it.

Make Soldat display a line after the end of each round, and itll be easy to remember ;)
"Demo recorded: autodemoXX.sdm"

Btw. Im kinda addicted to Soldat, but I dont play it 24hrs a day. As I already mentioned, I prefer cleaning out the screenshot and demo folder manually after some time, and I believe Im not the only one who thinks so. Others prefer the overwriting, so it should be optional :]

Kazuki
July 4, 2005, 2:49 pm
Yes, Michal, I noticed that it wasn't working, too. =| In fact, I once made a demo tutorial in which I told the readers that they could control the amount of time that Soldat recorded using auto-record. You should make it so that I'm not lying to them. ;)

Also, using auto-record as it is currently can be used to override that "can only record for 3 minutes if you're not registered" thing.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 4, 2005, 3:08 pm
I think I disabled the "can only record for 3 minutes if you're not registered" thing.
I fixed the Record_Time, good thing you mentioned that.

Kazuki
July 4, 2005, 3:29 pm
Oh. Hm. Didn't know you disabled it. Thanks for the fix.

b00stA
July 4, 2005, 4:25 pm
Hooray \o/

I was wondering if I did something wrong with my .INI :)

Hitman
July 4, 2005, 4:30 pm
I've been saying for ages that it doesn't work! Bah, you people gotta stop assuming that when I say something doesn't work it's because I'm an idiot when it comes to computers :(

Yay for the fix.