( search forums )
Weapon limit restrictions (server-side option)
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
MisterX
July 13, 2005, 5:07 pm
Now that it's discussed in the other thread I finally want to come up with this suggestion. We all know that if 100% of a team for example use autos in 1.2.1, no matter wich autos, their chances of winning are increased enormously. I'm sure same goes with every other weapon, although the effect might not be that strong. Now what about a server-side option that let's you set a rule like "only 60% of all players may use AK". Because there are 5 different autos in Soldat, perhaps also combining them would be nice, like "Only 60% of all players may use Steyr, AK or Minimi". Maybe this wouldn't be a good rule for public servers, but I'd really love seeing such a rule in clanwars, to keep them interesting. I'm actually not completely sure how to program this since players can always throw away their weapons and pick them up again, but maybe you got ideas.

Bugs Revenge
July 14, 2005, 11:47 am
This could be a good idea but.. I ain't sure about it tho.
+ 2 AKs are enough up you know.. the tunnel guy could use any gun.

Chakra`
July 14, 2005, 1:26 pm
If this is at all possible, it's not too bad an idea. Would be great as a server side option.

MisterX
December 14, 2005, 9:32 pm
So, I'm just reviving this topic. The problem is still the same: M79 overuse on public servers. The option could work as follows: If a guy chooses M79 when spawning, this is checked as one M79. So if the M79 limit is set to 3, 3 guys can choose M79 as their weapon to spawn with. If anyone else wants to spawn with it, he has to wait until one of the 3 guys changes his spawn weapon.
With this option people could still pick up the restricted weapon, in this case M79. This would make you still be able to use this weapon from time to time even if all the "slots" are "full". I think this should really be implemented for use on public servers.

MisterX
December 16, 2005, 1:02 am
I was actually serious about this..

grand_diablo
December 16, 2005, 5:24 pm
I agree with that idea, id like it.

BUT I can imagine that it would be damn hard or even impossible (depending on the structure of the Soldat code) to implement ^_^

reckon
December 17, 2005, 3:55 am
Im not sure on the simplicity of incorporating this idea, but Michal could ponder over this and see if it could be implemented.
Im damn damn DAMN tired of being ruled by 3 to 4 M79's whilst escaping or intruding, its so annoying!

The Geologist
December 17, 2005, 6:08 am
I admit I have no skills concerning programming, but I do know a thing or two about math. Would there be any way to make use of a simple forula that dictated how many of a certain weapon could be used based on the number of players on a team? A ratio between players using a gun and players on a team could be used, and aspects like the number of people using a gun on a certain server could also be taken into consideration. If the forula produces a number over a certain amount then that weapon is no longer available on the weapons list. That amount could be set by whoever is running the server, just like ping warnings and % vote kick. Mind you, I already said I know nothing of programming nor how Soldat works from a technical standpoint, so if it's not possible in game I understand. Simply an idea that came to mind.

MisterX
December 17, 2005, 1:39 pm
I guess using a percentage instead of specific values would be possible. There's only this one problem: Is a restriction like this possible anyway?
But I actually think it is. Just think of the Advanced Mode, it works similiarly.

The Geologist
December 17, 2005, 7:08 pm
Oh yeah! Good point. The percengages could act like a sort of reverse advanced mode, and when too many people are using a certain gun that weapon drops off the weapons menu.

Spectral
December 22, 2005, 5:18 pm
It doesn't seem to complex to me just thinking about the math, dividing the number of people using a gun by the amount of people on the team, seeing if it is > or <= than the limit. if > just remove that gun from the menu. to be honest having a disproportionate useage of a gun on a team doesn't really bother me, but I suppose it would be a good option to have if reasonably easy to program

Denacke
December 23, 2005, 12:10 pm
I'm all for it

Yukwunhang
December 23, 2005, 1:15 pm
This could be a good solution of the overuse problem, I suppose. Players are forced to use other weapons when too many players are using it, this could bring more variety to the game. But this could somehow destroy the feel of Soldat.... I dunno.