( search forums )
Non-dedicated server problem
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
July 16, 2005, 3:02 pm

Was testing Sticky's map last night. Nice map, a bit girly, but most disturbing of all was that the noob owned me.

However, there was a reason for this! (other than the obvious)

For the sake of simplicity, I, the player who joined his server will be here forth known as 'Mr B', and the host of the non-dedicated server, Sticky, will be known as 'Mr A'.

Mr B tried to shoot Mr A, but for some reason Mr B's shots did nothing.
Mr A wondered "why isn't he shooting me?". For some reason, Mr A couldn't even see Mr B shooting him. It just looked like he was running around without firing.
Mr B was frustrated, letting off shot after shot that definitely hit. 10 barret shots from point blank while both players were still, and still he did not die!

Now this is where it gets a little more complicated..

Mr A killed Mr B! "hahaha, pwnd" Mr A said.
Mr B was angry, so he chose the same weapon he had when he died and shot Mr A. Mr A died! huzzah!
Mr B and Mr A fought as normal, both able to die and see each others shots, until Mr B died and chose another weapon; not one the same as before.
Mr B was previously trying to kill Mr A with a barret. But now, Mr B had chosen a shotgun. But the shotgun had no effect! Mr A once again couldn't see Mr B shooting him.
It was only when Mr A shot Mr B, and Mr B respawned with a shotgun again, could Mr B shoot and kill Mr A!

Mr A and Mr B worked out that if Mr B chooses the same weapon as the one he had upon dieing, he was able to use it against the host. However if he was to choose another weapon, or even choose the same weapon after choosing another weapon, he was unable to shoot Mr A (or Mr A to acknowledge Mr B was shooting) until Mr A had shot Mr B and Mr B respawned with the weapon he was previously using.

Knives and grenades worked however without fault, and Mr A assures Mr B no weapon modifying was in use at the time. A custom map was in use, but Mr B swears he had the same problem with Mr C (Cold Fusion)in his non-dedicated server too!

After a thorough day's testing, Mr A, Mr B and Mr C sat down to their bowls of porridge, and stayed up late to watch Basic Instinct on the telly.

Hitman
July 16, 2005, 3:17 pm
..and they lived happily ever after.

Nicely worked out Chakra, and well presented : P Most awesome bug-report I've read yet. Don't mean to shift the subject of the topic, but on the subject of non-dedicated servers...has anybody managed to successfully join one (apart from b00stA and some other guy who successfully ran non-ded servers) in this version? I can see it worked for you Chakra, but has it worked for anybody else?

July 16, 2005, 4:59 pm
From Mister A's viewpoint, the bullets that were shot didn't actually exist. The problem is not that the shots didn't do damage, it is that the bullets were never shot in the first place, but the gun still did all the muzzle flashy stuff.
Also, I don't particularly like porridge.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 19, 2005, 2:34 pm
Mr M scratched his head and wondered... were Mr A and Mr B victims of metan gas and mass halucination or was it something to do with the government and Mr X? Mr M then went to see if this is true and felt like someone is watching him from the window. A small light beam illuminated his face and then Mr M realized that...

To be continued...