( search forums )
Invisible Grenades / Explosives
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Kazuki
July 21, 2005, 10:15 pm
Most of the time while playing, if you're hit with a LAW or M79, the bullet will be invisible. However, the damage isn't. <_< This happens from close up more than it does from far away. It happens most of the time when you have 3 or more people in the same screen, we believe. Try crowding yourselves into the same screen and shooting each other with M79s and LAWs. The bullets won't be invisible to you, but it will be to everyone else. I have a video to back this up, if necessary.

Also, if no one had noticed, the invisible grenade bug happens when you hit a dead body with a grenade. The grenade will explode, but it will still be there, hence the "invisible" part. Don't know if anything is being done against this, but the colliders on dead bodies are causing this bug in particular.

grand_diablo
July 21, 2005, 10:32 pm
mmh this invibug might be caused by normal colliders aswell... Like: the client sees that the nade hits a collider and explodes, but the server calcs that the nade didnt hit the collider (or didnt recognize it) so the nade is still there for the server, but not for the client where it already exploded before.

DeMonIc
July 21, 2005, 10:56 pm
Ooh, and a bit older but more important thing: if you shoot an M79 bullet that should ricochet, sometimes it just blows into the wall, you and the enemy see that, but the server calculates it as it ricocheted, and BOOM HEADSHOT the enemy is dead.

grand_diablo
July 22, 2005, 12:34 am
that does not only happen with ricochet. It happened in 1.2.0 too. For one or both players it seemed that a (m79) bullet hit the wall, but the server calculated something different and so the bullet hit the wall and exploded there, and shortly after the player died.

KnOt
July 22, 2005, 1:23 am
That happens in other situations too.. such as hitting someone with m79, to watch the person next to him die.. It's just lag innit

Michal Marcinkowski
July 22, 2005, 2:12 pm
Could you check if there are invisible missiles if you set ShowRealLag=0 in soldat.ini?

N1nj@
July 22, 2005, 4:31 pm
With ShowRealLag=0, the invisible LAW happens randomly, sometimes it's visible, sometimes it's not. We also got a lot of 'hit but nothing happens', so like on my screen, i fired the LAW at someone, but on the other player's screen, it's just like as if nothing happened (no explosion, missle or movement).

And with ShowRealLag=0, the invisible grenades is still there 100% of the time.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 22, 2005, 8:59 pm
I didn't see it with ShowRealLag=0. However it might be something wrong, can anyone confirm it?

N1nj@
July 22, 2005, 9:11 pm
Cold_Fusion and Demonics can be my witnesses.

Kazuki
July 24, 2005, 12:00 am
Invisible grenades really seem like they're caused by confusion between the client and the server.

In the format of: Side A <---> Missing Link <---> Side B

Client <---> Corpse colliders + grenades <---> Server

The client thinks that the grenade has exploded and is therefore gone. The server, on the other hand, knows that the grenade is not affected by the corpses. Therefore:

Client = grenades affected by corpses
Server = grenades not affected by corpses

This is where the confusion occurs. I don't know much about programming, but it seems completely logical to me.