( search forums )
M79 boosting?
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
MisterX
July 22, 2005, 3:59 pm
What about this? Is there anything going to be changed about it? I don't say boosting in general is lame, but I find it too easy for an enemy flagcarrier to get away when boosting. If the enemies don't, they have no chance getting the flag back again..

grand_diablo
July 22, 2005, 4:13 pm
it depends on the map. If its used to get to the flag on B2b its kinda gay. If someones fleeing that way, its risky, cause if he doesnt time it good, hell kill himself. Its ok on B2b if its used to get into the enemy base, as they cant almost be reached otherwise.
Discussable issue for sure, but I dont see any real problems with that xcept for B2b and maybe Viet/Maya.

Hitman
July 22, 2005, 4:31 pm
Leave it the way it is. Boosting is one of the fun features in Soldat.

Please, give it a rest. Just concentrate on the weapons balancing.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 22, 2005, 8:57 pm
Sorry it's too much fun and it's a good tactic. I don't see anything lame about it.

MisterX
July 22, 2005, 10:40 pm
As I said, I don't find it very lame, I only find boosting away with the flag makes it too easy for the flagcarrier. It's not even a big problem or so since it's rarely done, I just wanted to know what you think :)

-RaveN`tP-
July 23, 2005, 11:09 am
Keep it! It's part of Soldat, and I don't think we'd want to change the whole game?

MisterX
July 23, 2005, 1:05 pm
Again, I didn't say I want it to be removed >_< Hell, read my posts people..

Chakra`
July 23, 2005, 1:14 pm
Kinda weird how michal ain't as serious about Soldat as some of us sometimes, ain't it. Grrr @ m79 jump.
He even bloody camps in bushes with saw. What a total noob. *cough*

Still, i'm cool with it, and it 'is' fun. Besides it's reasonably harder with the backflip now. But I agree 'boosting' away with the flag is indeed incredibly lame. Why can't more players rely on the basics instead of tricks...suprise, skill and tactics.

And Raven, don't panic, we're here. It may be a part of Soldat 'now', but it wasn't before (except in far earlier versions). Things come and go luv.

Cold Fusion
July 23, 2005, 1:15 pm
What would you suggest be changed?

Chakra`
July 23, 2005, 1:25 pm
Ahh who knows guv. I prefered the game with the max-speed limit we used to have. But people are enjoying m79 jumping, so I don't see much of a reason to take that away for a few bad gamers who abuse it to get to places they should be fighting through.

One thing i've always wondered about though. Why isn't the m79 explosion a little bigger and more 'powerful'? I've been continuously boggled by how m79 gets away with such close-range kills, and shooting their feet to only 1/4 damage at most.

MisterX
July 23, 2005, 3:12 pm
Before thinking about how to change it, I wanted to know if actually anyone wants it to be changed. That's why I created this topic. But I don't think it's much harder because of the backflip now. Just jump forward, turn around instantly and booooooost away.
I agree that it ain't a real problem at the moment, but it's only like this because only few people practice M79 boosting when having the flag. For example if never anybody even thought of using automatics in groups or camping with LAW, we'd never have talked about it.

Chakra`
July 23, 2005, 4:58 pm
Well I suppose if you reallllly wanted to fix m79 jumping while stealing a flag, but leaving it alone for the casual jumpers (and those total bastads that m79 jump into b2b bases), maybe you could add 'weight' to the flag like it already has, only more, or reduce the max speed possible while weilding a flag.

When I say 'fix', I mean plead with Michal to do it before he releases it if it's not too much trouble, sir, thank you, thanks, thanks, ok bye, thanks, love you too. Bye.

KnOt
July 24, 2005, 10:14 pm
Just leave it alone.. If you remove it m79 will be underpowered..

MisterX
July 24, 2005, 10:49 pm
Chakra only wrote about the M79 boost when carrying the flag. This doesn't underpower it, but take away an unfair advantage of it. Like this for example people also couldn't boost up on the base on b2b anymore (although I still wonder why the high edges of b2b aren't made a few meters higher - problem solved o.O)

Chakra`
July 24, 2005, 10:52 pm
Oh puh-lease knot ¬_¬

Hitman
July 24, 2005, 11:13 pm
Chakra, shush.

KnOt
July 25, 2005, 2:22 am
....How does an m79 stand a chance against an auto in open-space? That's when you boost away with m79.. If you had an auto you could run away and spray back at your enemies.. But with m79, you're defenceless :Q A lot of people use m79 for capping / returning flags, and I like that about it. It's not a killing machine, it's more of a tool.

LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE. You already screwed up its speed, and the boost-abilitiy with the 'dodge move' thing.

MisterX
July 25, 2005, 2:37 am
When an M79 user faces an Auto user, what does he do? He just rushes to him and splits the enemy's buddy up in a few piece with a single shot.
In Soldat it's so damn easy to rush to your enemy or even pass by, it's not a slow game where you don't have a chance on higher distances because you can't get near enough. M79 is by far more than only "the uber capping tool that's good for nuthin except this". And even if you say "many people use it for capping", I'm glad I rarely face those many people you know, because it *is* an unfair advantage.

Soap
July 25, 2005, 3:47 am
I see a very simple solution to this problem. Just modify all of the maps to make accessing off-limit areas totally impossible. M79 boosting is not the only way to get to these areas in many cases.

MisterX
July 25, 2005, 4:55 am
For sure. But the main problem about the M79 boosting is, that players that don't boost have a chance to follow - a fatal advantage in ctf games.

KnOt
July 27, 2005, 1:17 am
I'd like to see you rush me in a big open map with m79, when I have an auto MisterX .. I'm not saying it's useless for killing .. o_O .. In fact in small spaces, with lots of passages and obsticles it kicks ass.. But when there's nowhere to move out of the way, and you get binked.. bleh.. You end up shooting the floor instead of your target. But that's it innit, all the weapons have their advantages/disadvantages.. I just dont want this advantage of the M79 to be taken away.

MisterX
July 27, 2005, 3:13 am
I do.
Btw.: How many big open maps are there actually in CTF... lemme see.. ah, one, b2b!

grand_diablo
July 27, 2005, 3:53 pm
and B2b is actually the only map where boosting can become annoying. Maybe a bit on Viet too, but no other maps offer good condition for boosting. It has become harder to do with the backflip, so please leave it the way it is.

Hitman
July 27, 2005, 4:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiSorry it's too much fun and it's a good tactic. I don't see anything lame about it.
End of subject.

grand_diablo
July 27, 2005, 7:57 pm
I concur.