( search forums )
A small idea
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Deleted User
July 25, 2005, 1:47 pm
You know how Soldat's menu looks in the Soldat manual on Soldat's web-page? Kinda shiny, you know?..

Could you make the menu actually look like that, maybe for registered users only?

Deleted User
July 25, 2005, 7:22 pm
[IMAGE]

Ya mean that?

Doesn't seem possible really, the current menus are coloured with code but doing the shiny effect means loading background images, putting otherwise useless images in the soldat installer and further increasing the size of the download. Doesn't seem worth it imo.

b00stA
July 25, 2005, 7:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by StalkyDoesn't seem possible really, the current menus are coloured with code but doing the shiny effect means loading background images, putting otherwise useless images in the soldat installer and further increasing the size of the download. Doesn't seem worth it imo.

It is possible without using any images. The background fade would be "drawn" (by drawing line after line diagonally with a changing color), everytime the screen is shown.
(at least that's how I would make it)

Hitman
July 25, 2005, 7:45 pm
Ze German vay.

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 2:52 pm
I just think it would be neat for the menu to get a little shinier for registered users. It looks really neat to me. (dunno why though)

Deleted User
July 26, 2005, 3:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stAIt is possible without using any images. The background fade would be "drawn" (by drawing line after line diagonally with a changing color), everytime the screen is shown.
(at least that's how I would make it)

Oh ok...still quite heavy on RAM usage though, amirite?

b00stA
July 26, 2005, 7:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
Oh ok...still quite heavy on RAM usage though, amirite?

I don't think so, but Michal's the programmer anyway.

FliesLikeABrick
July 26, 2005, 7:27 pm
i believe any memory used would be video memory, and if you cant display a "fancy" opening screen, odds are that your computer cant handle soldat anyway.

Michal Marcinkowski
July 31, 2005, 6:54 pm
No, I would have to learn Windows GDI programming, I don't feel like it:).

grand_diablo
July 31, 2005, 6:55 pm
mmmh that effect would work with a "stretched" scenery too, so it wouldnt necessarily need a big picture :p

EDIT: Welcome back from your holidays, did you enjoy them (and gained some unexpected pwnage idea for Soldat)?