( search forums )
Multi-Line chat issues
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
dabookshah
July 27, 2005, 11:38 am
For anyone who didnt know, player in-game have to ability to send multi-line chat. I am still writing my admin client, and the fact that people can send multi-line makes all attempts to write in-game commands worthless, because other people can access them.

Some of you wont know what im talking about, but anyway.........my Actual Question is this: Is there a way to stop people from sending multi-line chat, or if not, is there a way to detect that they have done it?

I have sent an email to Michael about this but I figured i might as well check with you people as well in the meantime.

KeFear
July 27, 2005, 1:39 pm
Well, it shouldn't be a problem, you just have to properly get the message sent by the player, and you can decide if it was a real admin command or just a multi line.

i am ahab
July 27, 2005, 2:43 pm
glad you understand what he's asking ke....

Dark_Noddy
July 27, 2005, 3:02 pm
Multi-line chat is possible in Soldat ? Explain please.. (I cant see that its possible)

dabookshah
July 27, 2005, 3:09 pm
Yes its not well known about and I prefer it stays that way. Well, i suppose it doenst matter now, because the answer to my question is that the iinet servers i was testing on have all this stuff running on them, and it seems that one of the effects that these things have is to split multi-line chat up into seperate lines, which then get sent out to the remote admins individually. So there was no way to determine if chat was multi-line or not. I shall have to get the stuff running on the server modified. I would ask you guys about it, but I dont know whats running on there, to be honest. So i shall go to tank.

Problem solved.

i am ahab
July 27, 2005, 4:37 pm
um kk dabookshah,
but when you find out what the stuff is you have running on your server that allows multi line chat, would you post it back here please?

KeFear
July 27, 2005, 5:21 pm
Well, multi line is possible in soldat, i don't want to reveal it, if you are smart enough, you can figure it out how. (i didn't know it was possible either untill today)
I won't tell it, as it is a bit annoying, and such, you can write things which seems like someone else wrote it and such. Too much abusement, understand? :)

By the way, dabookshah wanted to say that he can't solve the problem because of Tank's script (or whatever server-side script) is just sending the multi-line messages as new message each line.

Speaking of multi line, i think the admin-welcome message is a multi-line message itself:
quote:
(18:18:59) Soldat Admin Connection Established...
(18:18:59) Admin connected.
(18:18:59) Succesfully logged in.
(18:18:59) Welcome, you are in command of the server now.
(18:18:59) List of commands available in the Soldat game Manual.

As you can see, all the text is sent at the same time.

A

Dark_Noddy
July 27, 2005, 8:56 pm
Oh.. Like that (the quote) I though U meant like Multilined from the Taunts etc..? Just split it by tthe CRLF ?

rabidhamster
July 27, 2005, 11:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by KeFear...Anyway, if you read the message until the characters #13#10, while the multi-line is divided with #10...

Oh damn, i revealed the secret of it already. Shame on me. :]

so the character for multi-lining is #10? or is it # or #13? maybe #13#10?

Dark_Noddy
July 28, 2005, 12:03 am
From the server its CRLF (#13#10) Dunno if thats what U wanted to know, just split it by those...

KeFear
July 28, 2005, 12:15 am
removed for good reason ;)

rabidhamster
July 28, 2005, 12:29 am
got it.

Dark_Noddy
July 28, 2005, 12:56 am
I wrote a #10 into the Taunts.txt ^^ I reckon that didnt work cuZ it reads a line.. hehe.. oh well..

KeFear
July 28, 2005, 1:58 am
note: you can't use this in taunts, as it would appear as new line -> new taunt.

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 6:55 am
Yeh if you replace chr(10) with the str_replace function or somthing to that equivalent it would remove it from the chat... I told MM about the multi-line chat bug afew weeks ago so it should be fixed in 3.0.0

dabookshah
July 28, 2005, 7:20 am
Wtf its a bug???? I thought it was some sort of hidden feature. Anyway..........dont tell me this means you only found out about this a few weeks ago?

i am ahab
July 28, 2005, 1:50 pm
hmms i'd like it to be left in to be honest...

rabidhamster
July 28, 2005, 6:22 pm
yea me too. i found character #10 and i use it a lot now...

KeFear
July 28, 2005, 8:28 pm
well you shouldn't.. :(

Deleted User
July 29, 2005, 7:46 am
No Ive known about it for months and months, I told n00bface to PM it to MM ages ago, but apparently he never did.

now all these noobs are probably abusing this bug...

dabookshah
July 29, 2005, 11:46 am
Well no-one has so far mentioned how to do it on the forum anyway. But when tanks scripts is fixed, it wont matter.