( search forums )
PLEASE KEEP THE OLD VOLAND!
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
-RaveN`tP-
August 3, 2005, 11:24 am
Subject says all :(

frogboy
August 3, 2005, 11:34 am
I agree. No offense to g_d, I just prefer the old one.

EDIT: I also agree with CF, it'd be good to keep both, so everyone is happy. Except people who don't like either map.

Cold Fusion
August 3, 2005, 11:36 am
Why did you replace Voland with Xoland? Surely it would have been better to include both of them?

EDIT: Added bold for EMPHASIS.

Michal Marcinkowski
August 3, 2005, 11:39 am
Let's vote.

Xoland.

m00`
August 3, 2005, 11:50 am
voland

DeMonIc
August 3, 2005, 12:15 pm
Xoland.

Chakra`
August 3, 2005, 12:17 pm
Xoland.

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 1:07 pm
Xoland for me.

Hercule Poirot
August 3, 2005, 1:21 pm
Voland
(Or add both of them)

Urhos
August 3, 2005, 1:54 pm
Voland or both :o

N1nj@
August 3, 2005, 2:38 pm
BOTH!

grand_diablo
August 3, 2005, 3:14 pm
Xoland! (harr)

Meandor
August 3, 2005, 3:54 pm
Don't take the old Voland away, it's one of the most played maps. If it is replaced, Xoland won't be played half as much, I would bet on that (*wink*Chakra*wink*). So I'd say both or only voland.

Cookie.
August 3, 2005, 5:56 pm
Even though I like the old Voland better replace it with Xoland because I can't seem to win ever on voland lol >.<

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 6:49 pm
Voland

Edit: Both

SuperKill
August 3, 2005, 6:55 pm
voland

Deleted User
August 3, 2005, 8:49 pm
Why not just have an extra, official map-pack, available for download and mirroring?

August 3, 2005, 9:43 pm
Voland.

Outcast
August 3, 2005, 9:44 pm
XOLAND :o

Snowden
August 4, 2005, 9:54 am
Voland or both
I haven't played Xoland in a real game but I don't see why Voland must be replaced. I've never heard anyone complain about the original...

grand_diablo
August 4, 2005, 12:34 pm
Oh I did hear complaining about it, thats why I remade it :P

Edit: besides the (now fixed) bugs, ppl complained about the awkward movement caused by too narrow entrances and stuff :p

Bugs Revenge
August 4, 2005, 3:04 pm
both.. :)

-RaveN`tP-
August 4, 2005, 3:56 pm
Errm, call me stupid, but why not let the "community" decide, e.g. by making a poll in general forum? would be more representative IMHO...

Chakra`
August 4, 2005, 3:58 pm
You're stupid.

And a genius. Kinda. It would mean they'd all have to try out this new map though..

..but man, voland disgusts me. Spawnkilling and annoyance all round.

grand_diablo
August 4, 2005, 4:26 pm
Public voting would lead to an immediate win of Voland, because

- people care more about overviews than playing the maps, when judging. Thats why we did a comitee decision on the esl custom map ladder mappack and ppl are forced to play the maps to make their opinions really count.
- It is even harder for remakes, cause the normal soldater doesnt accept changes if he isnt forced to, another advantage for voland cause theyre used to this map
- we'd have to pretend that Xoland was made by Michal, to give Xoland at least a small chance to survive such a voting. Wouldn't work, cause Michal has a different mapping style ^^

so no, Im against a public voting cause of those reasons.

SuperKill
August 4, 2005, 5:30 pm
what's wrong with being used to a map? most people wouldnt like changes.
some people dont like the change even after they've played Xoland.. that's why there was a proposal to keep both.

Cold Fusion
August 4, 2005, 5:39 pm
If someone has a valid argument why not to include both of them, now is the time to say so.

grand_diablo
August 4, 2005, 5:54 pm
Here we go:

Well, both maps are quite the same. Its the "old" one and its remake. I mean, was the old ctf_Death with the Death remake? :P

The sense of a remake is to replace an old map with a new version. Including old Voland with its remake would make the remake kinda redundant, as both maps have the same shape and playing style, they only differ in size, looks and movement speed, but there are no major changes on the layout. People would not start playing Xoland if it was just included with the "original", itd just "miss the sense" of it.

Remember the B2b remake? People (Please refrain from swearing)ed about the new colors, the "camping place" in the middle etc. and at first old B2b still went around in some publics, and still is rarely played on some few american servers afair. But even people whined at start, the new B2b could replace the old one and stayed as default map in SCTFL and TNL. If the old B2b wouldve stayed, the new one would possibly never been that popular, as - see above please - people don't want changes once theyre used to something, so you need to force them to do so ;)

I think old Voland could go the same way as old B2b, though I think it will survive longer as "underground public oldschool map".

Deleted User
August 4, 2005, 8:26 pm
Besides, soldat needs a rotation of different ctf maps. If you join a default settings ctf server, you'll end up playing what is, essentially, the same map twice, which will get boring.

Snowden
August 4, 2005, 11:48 pm
With the B2B remake the overall structure of the map was essentially the same. However, based on my brief testing of Xoland the other day, it seems that the original Voland has been expanded to about twice the size, with bulky rounded corners, and with the jetpack being increased to compensate for the larger size. I found moving around the map to be quite slow compared to the original, because jetpack must be used a lot. I could be wrong, and maybe you've updated it since then. I would still like to play it in a real game, it looks like it could be fun.

Anyways, I think the small openings of Voland people may complain about, specifically the openings to the middle, is a good dynamic for the map, as it adds a "lesser used" route. Admittedly, it is difficult to catch a flagger once they've escaped to the middle, but why do you think I like it :)

grand_diablo
August 5, 2005, 12:50 am
catching the flagger in the middle of Xoland is hard too ;)

The map isnt so much bigger, maybe by 25 or 30%, and also not much higher (maybe 10-20%). Movement is actually easier and faster due to the roundings (once you got used to it, it compensates the bigger size). Most of Xoland's bugs and glitches should be fixed and it has a decent jetfuel since the last update. As far as I put Xoland on public testing, it was well liked ;)