( search forums )
Beta leaked
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Hercule Poirot
August 4, 2005, 5:59 pm
Well well... it seems like Alakhai did found the beta file after looking soldat site folders and now all have this beta in xfect. :/ Soon it starts to spread out so Michal could you next time save those files to somewhere else.

grand_diablo
August 4, 2005, 6:02 pm
Id recomment zipping the Beta files in the future and add a password to the zip, which can only be viewed in the betatesting forums.

N1nj@
August 4, 2005, 6:16 pm
good idea grand_diablo

Deleted User
August 4, 2005, 6:26 pm
A five letter password consisting of lowercase and uppercase letters took my PC 15 minutes to break.

It'd better be a damned long and confusing password. =\

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 4, 2005, 6:32 pm
woah how did you do that? i tried those password recovery tools before and they took FOREVER on my computer -.-

grand_diablo
August 4, 2005, 6:45 pm
lets use a 10 cases password
upper case, lower case + numbers

so many possible variations, itd take you months :P

Cookie.
August 4, 2005, 6:47 pm
It wouldnt neccessairly have to be along password maybe 10 characters top of just upper and lowercase letters and numbers :o

Edit
Cursed my internet D/C'ed the first time I tryed to post this so you beat me too it GDIABLO!!!

FliesLikeABrick
August 4, 2005, 7:02 pm
there have also been at least 2 members of the beta team that were leaking informatino about changes/features to people, well before hitman made that post in GD. people were IMming me asking about features and "is this true?" stuff. They said that they got the information from beta testers but wouldnt say who it was.

I hate the fact that people leak information, true or otherwise, because then they go around asking everyone "are you a beta tester?" "are backflips added?" "flag throwing?" "hold the flag?" "random other feature?"

shame on those of you who leaked information to people, because if you thought they were going to keep it to themselves, you're wrong :-/

DeMonIc
August 4, 2005, 7:02 pm
That wouldn't solve leaking you know. Seeing as the beta was leaked in other ways aswell ¬_¬

grand_diablo
August 4, 2005, 7:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.It wouldnt neccessairly have to be along password maybe 10 characters top of just upper and lowercase letters and numbers :o

Edit
Cursed my internet D/C'ed the first time I tryed to post this so you beat me too it GDIABLO!!!

grand_diablo eats the Cookie

Dibo 1 - 0 Cookie

and on topic:
the earlier leaks seemed to be rather "minor" as only a few people besides the betateam knew about the betatest and had the beta . Afair it went around in "small" circles, so there was no big betasharing.
Worse was Avarax 1.2.2 screen, I doubt that the majority believed in our "server settings" story to explain that. Besides that, there were no big rumors about a beta, as far as I followed our and the SK forums. The big beta info sharing began with 1.2.2d or e I believe, so I guess most people (on IRC) know about the beta for about a max. of 2 weeks. The file sharing of the beta started just a short while ago, ive heard yesterday that a beta was goin round on IRC, so it must have appeared shortly before that.

Whatever, the betatest is not a secret anymore since Michal posted the mod-capability information, which was necessary. Before that there were people who believed in a betatest and people who did not, and only a few people who had a beta eventhough they shouldnt, so the situation isnt as dramatic as it seems. The main thing is the weapon balance which isnt even final yet, the rest are mainly necessary bugfixes and modding stuff. Illegal beta owners might experiment around with the modding capabilites, besides that theres not much they could ruin until the release.

We should, besides a pworded zip, be more careful the next time though, and maybe filter out ppl who are inactive (afair the inactive part of the list has still access to the beta forums. Eventhough they dont post here, then they still have access to the beta, who know what they might do without us noticing it).

Deleted User
August 4, 2005, 7:12 pm
10 character alphanumerical password of varying upper/lowercase/symbol place-passwords would take approx. 2 years to crack, brute-forcing it, yar.

Kazuki
August 4, 2005, 7:35 pm
Speaking of leaks, here's a rather long chat log of me and Skitzo:

http://www.boomspeed.com/suicidaldim/Skitzo.txt

It doesn't really matter much whether or not we password the zip, though it will help anyway. One or more people in this very forum are leaking the beta to their friends anyway. The problem is, no one squeals, so we can't get to them. =|

Deleted User
August 4, 2005, 8:25 pm
Who cares? By the time the beta spreads, 1.3 will be released and everyone will have to reinstall the version.

Wasting their time, really.

N1nj@
August 4, 2005, 8:59 pm
We can threat to ban them from the lobby :P

Bugs Revenge
August 5, 2005, 12:19 am
eh, some pictures are being spreaded at the irc of soldat 1.3 with tanks xD
let's hope in the next version no information would be leaked.
it's just that the public shouldn't have known there's a beta so they wouldn't have asked any questions.

LazehBoi
August 5, 2005, 12:57 am
Eh, if it's the RC version I guess it doesn't really matter, so long as they aren't all going to rape soldat.pl's bandwidth.

Meandor
August 5, 2005, 2:03 am
The beta was leaked before this. Fragbait has the first 1.2.2 beta version, and so some others most likely. He even came to the suggestions forum and made a post about reducing spray in 1.2.2. He didn't spread it because luckily derf told him it would've been bad for the reputation of their clan.
The whole channel was whining on the new weapon balance already, based on rumors and whatnot. I won't post the log, unless someone wants it.
Also - [SaD]FragBait: Next time I am going to get the beta right away. And leak it as soon as I see a tester giving out fake info on it, or posting some fake screen or some (Please refrain from swearing).

N1nj@
August 5, 2005, 3:24 am
Next time, he isn't gonna get his hands on the beta.

LazehBoi
August 5, 2005, 3:24 am
And we're going to be quiet about it too. AREN'T WE, HITMAN!?

Kazuki
August 5, 2005, 3:31 am
Agreed, Pienne. :)

FliesLikeABrick
August 5, 2005, 4:37 am
i think the next beta should be 100% dark

Chakra`
August 5, 2005, 6:44 am
Yeah I don't know why, or what practicality I have for feeling this way, but i'm finding myself quite pissed off with the random people i'm bumping into who care to brag that they already have the beta.

Still, it was all worth it for investigating whether Jaz had the beta (when he bragged he did).

He didn't. But he did care to ask me for it none the less....so I gave him the fake one. God, he was so convinced I infected his computer with a trojan. Even put me on ignore. Ahh good days.

frogboy
August 5, 2005, 6:56 am
I suggest that:
1. the new version's release is set back at least a week or two, just to piss them off (their fault for being impatient); and
2. we make a new hoax several months after the new version is released, so when there is a real beta, nobody will believe us. I realise this was already suggested, it's a good idea to revive the idea now.

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 5, 2005, 7:20 am
perhaps we should try...just once...an open beta...then you won't get crap about..."omg l33thax i have the beta!?!?11/1!/1!"

although...problem with open beta is...a lot of people are retarded.

Michal Marcinkowski
August 5, 2005, 11:30 am
Do they like it? :)

FliesLikeABrick
August 5, 2005, 12:38 pm
an open beta would not work in this community. people would report things that arent bugs, they wouldnt test a lot of things, or would report them incorrectly. they would figure since it is a beta that every suggestion will be implemented, so those forums would be flooded with stuff, and as you said, a lot of people are retarded.

I think an open beta is a great idea, but seriously not here :-/