( search forums )
M79..
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Bugs Revenge
October 6, 2005, 4:54 pm
Well, in my oppinion the M79 isn't overpowered AT ALL..
It's just attractive weapon which LOTS of people use it too much(on publics..)
I don't think that since this weapon is overused you have to nerf it but whatever..

Boosting with this weapon is another issue, that's why GD's suggested decreasing it's damage a bit..

GD's post : "M79
Damage: -15000
Bink: +3
less damage = less damage radius = less boost. Still deadly, should solve the boosting problem without messing around with the physics. Plus: M79s were generally a bit too precise, thats why I raised the bink."

... Oppinions?
Cold fusion : "anyone who wants to increase the bink on the m79 needs to be castrated for the good of civilisation" --> agreed ;D

Psyl3ntShad0w
October 6, 2005, 10:07 pm
i would increase bink. it should have more bink than whatever ruger has and roughly the same bink as barret if not less.

i could go either way on damage and boosting.

MisterX
October 6, 2005, 10:21 pm
I don't think bink would do much. Most kills that are done with M79 happen while the M79-user rushes to the enemy. You can't shoot the M79-user enough to make his aiming be affected by bink before you're shot anyway.

Bugs Revenge
October 28, 2005, 12:15 pm
This is a copy of my post in the weapon ballance forum, since I guess it's not gonna be approved by the admins, LIKE ALWAYS..
you'r just don't approve my post in the m79 topic for some reason, which I have no idea why but it's not fair, anyway, here's my oppinion, do with it whatever you wish.

Look, I have got something to say about the m79, the barret and whole the delay thinngy..
At the momment the barret is about one level above all the other weapons, and the M79 is about the SAME LEVEL.
now, if you add delay for both of them the m79 would be just 2 levels under, none is gonna use it, there's no similar gun to the m79 so the m79ers who find it as fun in soldat MIGHT leave it :,(

the barret would be some under level as well, I would explain why..
you've perposed the delay since of the LAW right? but you've just forgot 2 important facts:
1.LAW IS A SECONDARY GUN.
2.LAW has NO bink.

so, when people see the LAW user they could shot him with autoguns let's say and just kill it this way, if he managed to shot he wouldn't get binked.
However, when u would use M79\BARRET which are PRIMARY weapons they would get sprayed, and wouldn't get even the smallest chance to beat ANY OTHER gun coz of the bink.
Removing the bink would also be a bad idea, coz then they would ALWAYS win if the player is skilled enough.

Don't use this delay for crying out load! it's a realy bad idea :
I'm a m79er, I even take myself as one of the best m79ers out there, and still.. some skilled or even avaraged autogunners could beat me since of the bink, just by spraying me \ shoting me at the momment that thay see me when I couldn't shot yet.. nerfing it even more wouldn't be fair AT ALL.
look in everymap where ppl start using autoguns all the m79s are gone.. that's coz they'r not overpowered...

DeMonIc
October 28, 2005, 12:36 pm
The main problem with the M79 is that -like MisterX said- one can blast his enemy before he gets binked. The only real defence against this is spraying, which a honourable player doesn't do, therefore M79 can only be beatable by laming. 0.10 or 0.20 startup time would be almost nothing, but it would solve the balance problems with the M79, and also hold back boosting a bit by making it harder to achieve.
Bugs, the only thing you had said so far that M79 gets beaten by spraying. But spraying is considered lame, and it's not used very often, only by desperate/spineless people.

/Judging by the stories, during the 1.2.0 beta tests, something like this happened, only with Cbble and the barret../

Bugs Revenge
October 28, 2005, 12:56 pm
Not neccesary actualy, you don't have to spray in order to stop the m79..
let's imagine a situation:
the m79er and the autoguner see eachother both at the end of the screen..
from the momment the autogunner have the time to shot the m79er until the m79 user get to the middle of the screen in order to kill,
the m79, unlike the barret CAN'T KILL from screenedges, it doesn't have that range.
and as you say 0.1\02 delay would solve it, I don't think so, the autogun have enough time to bink the m79, it's just a matter of skills, if he can't in that time I don't think that 0.1, nor 0.2 sec would help him.
just see a battle betweet skilled autogun vs skilled m79er. you would see the autogun wins.
in the barret it's not the same, you indeed have to spray the barret in order to bink it, m79 is NOT the same :
and noop, I haven't played an officialy cw yet which the enemy didn't spray me with autogun..
It's just happaning over and over again, that's why I stopped playing officials..
just take a look at cws how it works in tunnels where there's an m79..
you don't have to spray for beating m79er, u just have to be skilled and react fast. that's all.

Look, i'm realy not the same as Cabble, I do want this weapon to be in the same level as the others, but I don't want to make it useless :|

MM, could you make something about the bink system? maybe more sensetive? so the first bullet even would bink it? :or we just have to add bink (we did already from 1.3)

+ Don't you think that adding delay wouldn't be fair? you give the autogunner TOO MUCH time to bink the m79er, which if got binked, can't kill. so you don't give it a chance against a good autogunner, IT SHOULD BE EQUAL chances for BOTH.

DeMonIc
October 28, 2005, 1:15 pm
Ok so let's imagine the situation. But let's imagine a map too, -which isn't in your paragraph at all-. Most maps don't have huge areas, i.e. Voland, so if the two players spot each other from the edge of the screen, they can't shoot each other because there are walls between them. Thus the M79er can slide towards his enemy in cover, then making the killer blow before he gets binked. 0.10 is time indeed, but it's the time that should be there already, but it isn't because of how the maps are built. (And no, it wouldn't be easier to make loads of new maps than just typing 0.10 in the weapons.ini)

Bugs Revenge
October 28, 2005, 1:22 pm
But this 0.1 wouldn't be fair for the "opened" map, don't u think?
besides, in maps like Voland in clanwars the majority DON'T use m79..
plus the fact that if an autogunner don't wanna get killed in those situations he could just be far enough \ in a place where the m79 couldn't hit him.
you can't nerf a weapon just because of two maps : nuubia and voland. that just wouldn't be fair at all.
think about other maps such Laos, b2b, Run, Kampf.. would that be fair making delay there too? where the autogun would spray the m79er's ass? :o
I don't think so.. so yeah, ppl tend to use the m79 in voland and Nuubia which absolutly fine! if u take an auto you would see no m79ers anymore.
like the barret owned Run in 1.2.1 and now the autos are, that means we should nerf the autoguns?!
No way. just think about it, the m79 is used only in tunnels and those maps, don't make it useless, you can't use the m79 in main ways of b2b, laos, run, viet etc.
don't make it useless in its maps as well :|

MisterX
October 28, 2005, 1:37 pm
I only want to respond on one thing now, but...
quote:Originally posted by Bugs Revengebesides, in maps like Voland in clanwars the majority DON'T use m79..
What ?! I totally hate this map, because nearly everyone uses M79, and sometimes you cant even get out of the base. People camp in the upper way with M79 and there's no way you can get there, because if you only try to get up you get killed. Bases get totally nadespammend and then even 1-2 M79 users come and bomb the base even more. Often I find this map totally horrible to play, partly because of M79 - in clanwars mostly!
Maybe I'll join the discussion later, but now I gotta go. But I can say I totally support Demonics.

Bugs Revenge
October 28, 2005, 2:18 pm
People camp in the upper way with M79 and there's no way you can get there
well, yeah.. that's lame :\ we have to fix this map somehow coz the respawning point is kinda problematic as well.
anyway, only in gathers most of the users are m79ers
look at officials, most of them are de, ruger, spas and autoguns
maybe sometimes barret up.

grand_diablo
October 28, 2005, 2:25 pm
hint: dont make weapon adjustements depend on maps, find compromises that work for both "narrow" and "open" maps. Some weapons are more effective in tight areas, some are in wide ones - I guess its good like that. The point is that no weapon should be uber-effective :P

Bugs Revenge
October 28, 2005, 8:14 pm
That's why I'm trying to explain them :(
but they'r sticking to Nuubia and Voland which the m79 is mostly being used there :\

MisterX
October 28, 2005, 10:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Bugs RevengeThat's why I'm trying to explain them :(
but they'r sticking to Nuubia and Voland which the m79 is mostly being used there :
I am? I am talking about M79 in general, and it's a general problem in my opinion. I've only talked about Voland now because it's just wrong that M79 isn't used in clanwars there.

Bugs Revenge
October 29, 2005, 1:53 am
general problem? have you ever seen a m79er in the main ways at all(bit places)? (I'm talking only about official cws..) .. NO.
The m79 is being used only in tunnels, which there, the autogunner could easily pwn the m79er by binking it, it's just not overpowered at all in my oppinion, pls read the posts above.

DeMonIc
October 29, 2005, 10:14 am
People start choosing M79 when there's a stillgame, so they can get to the EFC fast and crush him with a surprise attack :) I'm just saying that the M79 is too universal, which leads to a bit of imbalance.

Bugs Revenge
October 29, 2005, 3:47 pm
too universal you mean "OVERUSED".. It doesn't mean it's overpowered so we don't have to nerf it anymore.

m00`
October 29, 2005, 11:20 pm
are we going to put a start-up time on everything? soldat is supposed to be a fast paced game, start up time is not the solution to everything

DeMonIc
November 3, 2005, 2:28 pm
Going to try M79 now myself.

Barret is fine with startup (said by a barretard!)

Outcast
November 4, 2005, 10:30 am
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIcPeople start choosing M79 when there's a stillgame, so they can get to the EFC fast and crush him with a surprise attack :) I'm just saying that the M79 is too universal, which leads to a bit of imbalance.

It's not universal, mostly you get your ass kicked by any smart player with an auto, but they don't really adapt to the m79 because you could change your mind and take another weapon and he'd still be waiting for you at half the map instead of rushing the flag.

AS for startup on barret...yeah let's put startup on everything. Really. Barret is fine.