( search forums )
Time for a change (but i don't know what)
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
October 8, 2005, 11:55 am

Look, guys, i'm about as bothered towards balance as you guys are. Frankly i've given up.

But at the same time, thats wrong. We ain't getting anywhere on discovering the right balance, we ain't been testing or playing 'cos we're just never around at the right times, and frankly with all the confusion from various ideas and suggestions and people's modifications taking too large a step at a time, we're just digging a hole to nowhere.

Shall we get more beta testers in here? or go public? what...I dunno. 'cos we're not actually doing anything.

Michal Marcinkowski
October 8, 2005, 1:43 pm
I think we should get like two good clans and they would figure something out.

Bugs Revenge
October 8, 2005, 2:02 pm
Well, I don't know if it could be trustfull..
Each player there would like "his" weapon not to be nerfed..
I think we should work out and bring the most ballanced settings we could, then we should let few clans play fcws on that server and see their oppinions.. this is the best option I could find :o

Chakra`
October 8, 2005, 2:18 pm
Actually I agree with Michal. We've been playing it too safe lately, and we're getting jack [CENSORED] done. Yeah there'd be moaners, but when isn't there..

N1nj@
October 8, 2005, 4:19 pm
why don't we just set a time and play, like we used to? we usually get around 6 poeple or so doing that..

Michal Marcinkowski
October 8, 2005, 4:41 pm
Since the weapon mods are public we can make the testing public. Lets just ask everybody on the forum to participate in weapon tweaking, but to prevent people that will want 'their' weapon to be better we will be the judges and make the adjustments depending on the outcome as we see it.
Or...
Maybe lets put a normal WM public server and do weapons tweaking based on stats. I don't know which program we could use, but a killlog parser that displays specific weapon kill percentage would be great and then do adjustments based on it. This would be the best idea, it requires time but we have it.

Outcast
October 8, 2005, 4:45 pm
You do know that there will be a huge response probably?

FliesLikeABrick
October 8, 2005, 5:08 pm
u13sss easily parses things and puts displays weapon % usage :P

Chakra`
October 8, 2005, 6:42 pm
thats not a bad idea Flies...setup your two 24/7 public servers to be weapon modified and see what people there think?

Certainly one of our ideas at hand. I still like a few of Michals.

Bugs Revenge
October 9, 2005, 2:24 am
nah, I prefer the first idea.
weapon useage doesn't mean if it good or doesn't, it just mean the players which have been playing on it liked those weapons.. ppl wouldn't change their favorite weapon just coz it was changed a bit.

DeMonIc
October 9, 2005, 8:22 am
Well, but we could do weapon balance testing publically. Just slap on (WM)-> Beta balance to the server name, and make a post about it in Official news. I figure quite a few clans would even play their cw's with the beta mod too. It's worth a try, especially because the lot of us can't even agree on the simplest changes (Like Chakra highlighted that out oh so briliantly.)

Psyl3ntShad0w
October 9, 2005, 8:31 am
demonic's idea wins :Q

m00`
October 9, 2005, 8:55 am
yah, thats better than distributing the beta around, if that was the idea...

Michal Marcinkowski
October 9, 2005, 1:13 pm
OK, so should I put the selfkill beta public or someone else wants to put it?

DeMonIc
October 9, 2005, 1:30 pm
That'd be nice. Set it to this weapon mod: http://llsc.us/members/BugsRevenge/uploads/Comb131.ini And please make a topic about it in the appropriate forum, so people will start playing there. Maybe include the Comb131.ini link too, so others can test it on their servers too?

grand_diablo
October 9, 2005, 1:32 pm
you have free hands at the sk beta serv (it should be still up, I guess). For keeping weapon stats, we might use one of the available stat scripts (Id prefer ZitroStats)

Bugs Revenge
October 9, 2005, 3:16 pm
hmm the selfkill server we've beein using in the last testing isn't up anymore.. :not at the same port at least.. pls give us the details again GD..

Michal Marcinkowski
October 11, 2005, 12:46 pm
The sk beta is not working for me :(. Can anyone put up a server with stats logging?

Chakra`
October 16, 2005, 8:34 pm
Alright, someone contact the SK crew. We should go ahead with this seeing as we still aren't progressing at all on balance, despite agreement that it needs tweaking.

Heres the plan kids ... we get a bunch of public servers - perhaps hosted by bricks and selfkill - decide on a custom balance for it (we'll decide that later), Hamblin's agreed to make a temporary 'balance discussion' forum, and quite simply people will play on these servers and give us their opinions (under moderation, already discussed on IRC). After a while, we'll update the balance according to their whims and our common sense, and continue this cycle for a brief while until we're finally [CENSORED]ing happy.

Sound good Michal? hope you're not in a rush. If you could Marcinkowski, get in contact with SK and let them know we want a public server, not beta, and we'll be using a custom balance ini for the public to play on. What that ini file will be is not yet determined.

Bricks my luv, can you help out on this project too? We could do with more than one public balance testing server.

b00stA
October 16, 2005, 10:34 pm
http://soldatforums.com/forum.asp?forum_id=92
The Weapon Balance Forum, however it is hidden at the moment and access is restricted.
Evil-Ville and Kazuki are currently moderating it.

Michal Marcinkowski
October 17, 2005, 1:53 pm
grand_diablo?

DeMonIc
October 17, 2005, 2:46 pm
People, start contacting some friendly server owners, and ask them to host Bugs' combinational weapon mod. With those servers and the forums, weapon balance could be solved in no time :) ( That is, if the forums have a responsible and lifeless moderator ( wink wink ) )

Chakra`
October 17, 2005, 3:46 pm
Bugs combination mod eh ...got a link for that? I don't see why we shouldn't start with that and see where we go from there.

LazehBoi
October 17, 2005, 4:06 pm
...I'm pretty sure it's been in the #soldat.beta topic for quite some time now, Chakra.

Bugs Revenge
October 17, 2005, 5:18 pm
Yeah that should be in the topic..
http://llsc.us/members/BugsRevenge/uploads/Comb131.ini

Chakra`
October 19, 2005, 10:38 am
'k so what are we waiting on exactly? ... g_d, could you contact SK for us and have a public server set up with this mod?

Chakra`
October 22, 2005, 1:17 pm
...this year maybe?

DeMonIc
October 22, 2005, 1:46 pm
Badger some server admins, please. Anyone will do, just get those weapons.ini's running :(

MisterX
October 22, 2005, 2:39 pm
I'll try to talk to g_d as soon as I see him online..

N1nj@
October 22, 2005, 3:25 pm
i pmed g_d the other day before i went to sleep..I don't know if he read the message tho

Bugs Revenge
October 22, 2005, 3:44 pm
I've tried to PM him too a while ago, he should see the forums as well.
Maybe he just can't... MM pls contact SK meanwhile, I guess it would be faster.

Michal Marcinkowski
October 22, 2005, 4:23 pm
I mailed r0adkill from SK, we'll see.

grand_diablo
October 22, 2005, 5:14 pm
havent received a forum pm.
I havent been able to reach r0ad by now, and for some reason I cant get to upgrade my current serv to 240, it crashes with an access violation when i try to start it.