( search forums )
new method for bot waypointing
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
zyxstand
October 11, 2005, 12:40 am
this calls for a really efficient, simple, yet complex to be coded way for bots to get around.
basically, this method for bot-orientation is based on a more advanced AI. Bots would be able to think on how to get around based on the map. No manual waypointing will have to be done for this (excpet maybe some minor ones for special cases). Bots would be able to find the quickest way to get to a certain location on the map and be able to maneuver there automatically. that part in itself seems simple (and actually is) but then there are those special cases in which a bot has to actually use advanced problem solving to get to a certain place - a good example would be getting up through the hole in the middle of B2B. you can't simply stand underneath and jump - you gotta run off from the side and make a 'kick-jump' (sliding vertical jump) to make it all the way.

then comes the prediction part in which bots could calculate the most efficient way of achieving the goal (winning in ctf), etc. For example, if efc is running away with flag - would it be smarter for the bot to get a good camping spot and have a good chance of shooting the enemy down or would it be better to take the risk and cap the enemy's flag (esp. if his team is losing and he has to take such a risk to maybe make it to cap*
then maybe being able to pass the flag to a teammate so that he can cap faster. or maybe even have bots 'communicate' with each other to create the most efficient method of scoring (pass the flag in key-points)

next, player taunts that actually have a meaning to bots (EFC HIGH, or DEFEND BASE, or FULL SPEED AHEAD!, or CAMP MIDWAY, or PROTECT FFC, etc.) so that bots can actually execute these commands.

and then comes the even more simpler concepts - like hiding behind bushes even though not waypointed in map editor or even more advanced: if in enemy's base and their flag is away and 4 enemies are about to spawn go hide somewhere or run away...

well, that's my list of ideas...i'm sure most won't get anywhere close to being considered but - hey, it's worth talkign about...

peemonkey
October 11, 2005, 1:15 am
keep it how it is now, but make persentage of follow thingy's and itll be fine. with real AI it'd take alot more coding for michal and the patterns would be purdy easy to determine, as it's only 2-d.

Leo Da Lunerfox
October 11, 2005, 1:24 am
I'd like it if bots would know when they're on top of each other and move so they can both shoot when an enemy comes instead of smacking each other.

mar77a
October 11, 2005, 1:28 am
Well, it's not hard to waypoint maps, and it's easier for the coding and stuff the way it is.

You want to leave me unemployed?

zyxstand
October 11, 2005, 2:03 am
wel, but then bots wouldn't know how to get to places... it would make them smarter...

A.L.blackhawk
October 24, 2005, 11:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by zyxstandthis calls for a really efficient, simple, yet complex to be coded way for bots to get around.
basically, this method for bot-orientation is based on a more advanced AI. Bots would be able to think on how to get around based on the map. No manual waypointing will have to be done for this (excpet maybe some minor ones for special cases). Bots would be able to find the quickest way to get to a certain location on the map and be able to maneuver there automatically. that part in itself seems simple (and actually is) but then there are those special cases in which a bot has to actually use advanced problem solving to get to a certain place - a good example would be getting up through the hole in the middle of B2B. you can't simply stand underneath and jump - you gotta run off from the side and make a 'kick-jump' (sliding vertical jump) to make it all the way.

then comes the prediction part in which bots could calculate the most efficient way of achieving the goal (winning in ctf), etc. For example, if efc is running away with flag - would it be smarter for the bot to get a good camping spot and have a good chance of shooting the enemy down or would it be better to take the risk and cap the enemy's flag (esp. if his team is losing and he has to take such a risk to maybe make it to cap*
then maybe being able to pass the flag to a teammate so that he can cap faster. or maybe even have bots 'communicate' with each other to create the most efficient method of scoring (pass the flag in key-points)

next, player taunts that actually have a meaning to bots (EFC HIGH, or DEFEND BASE, or FULL SPEED AHEAD!, or CAMP MIDWAY, or PROTECT FFC, etc.) so that bots can actually execute these commands.

and then comes the even more simpler concepts - like hiding behind bushes even though not waypointed in map editor or even more advanced: if in enemy's base and their flag is away and 4 enemies are about to spawn go hide somewhere or run away...

well, that's my list of ideas...i'm sure most won't get anywhere close to being considered but - hey, it's worth talkign about...

that would be awsome, expecially for those hard core coop R/S gamers. i think it should be considered since the bots right now are sorta boring.. and wouldnt you want to make a 2d amazing game better... or maybe this could be for registered users. :/

rabidhamster
October 25, 2005, 1:02 am
the only thing is that the coding would be a b!tch to program... especially camp midway. but i would like to see bots shoot back when carrying the flag, and also passing it to a teammate when he (or she)'s at a lower health than the teammate. those are probably the easiest concepts to program.

zyxstand
November 2, 2005, 8:58 pm
of course the coding would be insanely difficult.
...another reason why michal should sell it, so that a bigger company can handle all those difficult tasks.

Deleted User
November 3, 2005, 3:16 am
hell no dont sell it to bigger companies......lots of games sell out..but i like our small community...but other than that im ALL FOR those suggestions..ive always wanted fully intelligent bots

nfsjunkie91
November 3, 2005, 3:51 am
nooooooo! selling any game to a larger company = 99.9% of teh time total destruction of what the original game is about. IMO when the ymade burnout 3, it sucked. burnout 45 was an improvement, but burnout 2 was the best. DON'T sell soldat evah! the companies would charge us more than $9 for regging! and make us pay online gameplay fees! </offtopic sorta>

<ontopic>
i would like bot commands like in other games. i think C&C renegade had bot commands in it, and plenty of other games do. like CS:S.
</entire_conversation>

<edit>
oh and btw, i think bots will auto hide behind colliders, but not scenery, when they encounter an enemy.
</edit>