( search forums )
Serious grenade/chainsaw bug
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
MisterX
October 27, 2005, 8:18 pm
So we got to know about a very, very strange bug. Some don't believe it in, but to me it seems to exist: If you fire a chainsaw and throw grenades while firing, those grenades seem to act very weird. You can hit and kill people much more easily with grenades while doing this. Sometimes it even happens that you kill someone without hitting him with a grenade.
I'm not totally sure about this myself, but I've just tried it on several deathmatch servers, and it really seems to be much easier hitting with grenades while firing (or only holding?) a chainsaw. I won several deathmatch games only by throwing nades, often made double kills, sometimes triple kills. I mostly don't even do that with my deagles.

Here's a demo. It's not the best one, I've had "better" rounds on the map Arena. But there is especially one kill that bugs me: I'm the guy called "chainsaw-massacrer". After my first respawn, and after I got some grenades, I more or less randomly throw the grenades down on cambodia. It's a triple kill, but especially the third kill is interesting: The guy spawns, flies up and suddenly dies, by one of my grenades, although I threw all of them somewhere else.
Take a look for yourself: http://rapidshare.de/files/6841257/demo208.sdm.html
The other kills aren't really spectacular, yet curiously easy done.

[edit]I've "analysed" it a little more. Not even the second kill of the triple kill is "correctly" done. A guy spawns, walks a meter and then suddenly dies by a grenade, although the 2 grenades already exploded a few meters behind him.[/edit]

The bug might sound like some very weird myth, but it really seems to exist.

DeMonIc
October 27, 2005, 8:30 pm
Confirmed. This is the strangest thing I've ever encountered in Soldat.. it's real funny though :)

Kazuki
October 27, 2005, 9:04 pm
lol, It's like the MythBusters of Soldat.

I can't say I've experienced this myself because I don't use nades when I saw. I wouldn't doubt it, though. After all, nades are the buggiest weapon in Soldat. :P

Michal Marcinkowski
October 29, 2005, 11:21 am
I'll check it out.

DeMonIc
October 29, 2005, 12:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiI'll check it out.

*Angelical chorus sings while dramatic music is played and the Earth's surface is torn apart by the forces unleashed*

LazehBoi
November 12, 2005, 7:03 am
I felt too lazy to make another thread when there is one here already, so. FrogboY, Vijchtidoodah, jap_man and I were playing. I hosted a non-dedicated. Around the end, Vij and I tested something with the chainsaw. When he had it out and threw a grenade, he would seem to throw two grenades instead of one. When he switched to the MP5, though, he only threw one. I was the only one who could see him throwing two and it didn't seem to happen all of the time. That could be it.

DragonSlayer
November 12, 2005, 9:21 am
Wow... that was weird. I have to test this out myself.

EDIT: yes indeed, with chainsaw you can get HOMING NADES. I tried it on pub first and I got very easy double and triple kills. After that I dueled my friend, asked him to run around and stay as far as possible and the nades literally flew straight at him when I wasn't even aiming. Just wow. :o

Michal Marcinkowski
November 14, 2005, 1:20 pm
quote:I felt too lazy to make another thread when there is one here already, so. FrogboY, Vijchtidoodah, jap_man and I were playing. I hosted a non-dedicated. Around the end, Vij and I tested something with the chainsaw. When he had it out and threw a grenade, he would seem to throw two grenades instead of one. When he switched to the MP5, though, he only threw one. I was the only one who could see him throwing two and it didn't seem to happen all of the time. That could be it.
Yeah, probably the server throws 2 nades, that is why it seems more powerful.

DragonSlayer: Can you make a demo of HOMING NADES?

DragonSlayer
November 14, 2005, 3:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski<quote>I felt too lazy to make another thread when there is one here already, so. FrogboY, Vijchtidoodah, jap_man and I were playing. I hosted a non-dedicated. Around the end, Vij and I tested something with the chainsaw. When he had it out and threw a grenade, he would seem to throw two grenades instead of one. When he switched to the MP5, though, he only threw one. I was the only one who could see him throwing two and it didn't seem to happen all of the time. That could be it.</quote>
Yeah, probably the server throws 2 nades, that is why it seems more powerful.

DragonSlayer: Can you make a demo of HOMING NADES?

I'll try. By the way, it's weird. I tried it with my friend in a duel and although I wasn't even trying, my nades were flying straight at him when he was standing still. When he wasn't, they still seemed to hit in weird places although I didn't even see explosions. The weird part is that I tried it in ctf yesterday and I couldn't get it work at all. I don't know if I got lucky in the DM earlier. But I'll try to get that demo so we'll see.

Avskum
November 15, 2005, 3:37 pm
Out of stories from chainsaw duels I've heard this has been around atleast since 1.2 or 1.2.1, if it helps.