( search forums )
releasing weapons ini to the public - rediscuss
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
November 6, 2005, 5:17 am

'k we'll cover two topics here. Do note that everythings up in the air right now. In the near future, balance testing might fall back into our hands, or the entire beta could go public. Either way we should probably prepare and work towards all paths until we're all certain of where to go.

First off, Bugs Revenge has opted to 'do' the balance this week after collecting the info from whats been recently suggested in it's majority on the balance forums. Nice one Bugs.

We haven't had alot of suggestions lately though, so if you could, leave it for maybe sometime mid-next week and let them know that you'll be doing it, and ask them to get some opinions in. There isn't much to work on right now.

Secondly, theres been a slight lack of activity on the public balance, as i'm sure you're aware of. A passworded server gets no people, and a public one gets people who are unaware of it's purpose.

It was discussed early on in the process that it'd be a bad idea to release the updated weapons.ini we provide to test to the public in case of someone hosting a 're-modified' version which would subvert and confuse public opinion.
On the other hand, if we released it, there'd be a small plethora of new public balance servers around for people to test things on, whether passworded or not (which kazuki could update his server thread with appropriate details with), and hopefully encourage more towards the testing.

Should we set it free, or not?

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 6, 2005, 5:39 am
i think it would benefit us to release it. i don't see how a "re-modified" version would confuse public opinion if we released the weapon.ini as people can do that now if they really wanted to...(just change the name of their server to something that looks offical) Even then, if they post on the forums...people will be like WTF and hopefully point the poor soul in the right direction.

a possible way to raise beta activity is have some people run a beta league. basically TNL or SCTFL but with constantly changing weapon stats as we get comments on how to tweak balance...of course we would need a cool official name to sucker clans into joining the league. =P I'm kind of worried about whether or not it will be able to compete with current leagues...and this would require people to have admin on servers or they won't be able to play matches...(so they can change their serv weapons.ini, also requires us to release the weapons.ini)

Bugs Revenge
November 6, 2005, 3:21 pm
I ain't sure releasing a public beta would be a good idea for 2 reasons :
1. there would be no interest anymore at the "new version" and none would realy care about "what's new" etc.
2. it's gonna be completly messed up, I think recruiting about more 10 betatesters would be enough.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 6, 2005, 6:45 pm
ehm this isnt releasing the beta...just teh weapons.ini

Bugs Revenge
November 7, 2005, 12:49 am
Opsi, wrong topic, and yeah releasing the INI file wouldn't hurt much I guess..