( search forums )
How to be an adorable Beta Tester in 3 easy steps
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Chakra`
November 7, 2005, 6:09 am

Some of you may think that my actions around here lately have been somewhat unparalleled. We were all doing nothing for far too long a time, and the little I set out to do, to help push things forwards and get something done, really wasn't that hard at all.

However, the little tasks I did are the kind of things that should be as standard for 'all' beta testers to set out to do. Shame on you, you lazy self-pitying arsebandits.

But rejoice you slappers, for in 3 easy steps, you too can make sure things are actually getting done around here. I even [CENSORED]ing colour coded it for you.

Remember, you're a team and things need to be established and agreed before being done. How do you go about this?
Quite simply, ask. Ask on IRC for a few opinions, make a thread about it in the beta forum to see what other people think, and only from there can something be done.

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29075 <--from here we can see b00sta taking the initiative to see what the beta team as a whole thinks towards public beta testing.
This evidence, coupled with the same question asked by me to the public in another thread, gives us reinforcement as to what to do next. In this case, get more beta testers.

Do we have everything we need? could we do things better? Do you have an idea?

Being a beta-tester requires also being resourceful. As like step 1, simply asking your fellow beta testers can lead to good results.

For instance, the public balance situation requires more energy put into it. The two passworded servers provided for it right now aren't attracting people, and making them public has shown evidence of people joining without knowing the purpose of the server.

Consequently, my idea of a 'cure' would be releasing the weapons.ini file for others to host. People like to join their friends server, and more servers can theoretically mean more people testing it, without going into too much detail. Hence I made this thread to make sure it was ok to do this - http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=29042

Don't be shy to tell, or ask, your fellow beta testers to do something.

As a team, you require teamwork. It took teamwork to build the public balance, which although remains a questionable thing to do, was intended as a 'filler' for our previously inadequate service.

It took Flies and Cold Fusion to provide the server, Amblin to create the new forum area, 4 moderators to approve posts and to illustrate perogative and purpose to it, and the rest of you to help discussion flow, as well as someone each week to go through the most recent suggestions, determine the majority vote and make the appropriate changes to the weapons.ini .

So what if you create a definite list for the new beta team, but nothings happening? Well b00sta is the man in charge of changing the settings towards who has access here. Maybe b00sta hasn't seen the the topic, so help him. Send him a pm with the list, or a link to the thread, and then he'll know.

What if public balance is holding you back and nothing is being achieved from it? Ask the beta team if it should be shut down, ask the public too if you think it wise, then when you've got enough unified opinion, tell the people who can, to do it.

And on that note, I hang my beta-tester-club jacket up. Yes, the one with the studs. It's been alright being a beta tester, but i'd rather simply go back to just enjoying Soldat occasionally and letting things sort themselves out. It'd be a welcome change.